Everyday Customer

Many people have eaten at the Dog Shed in Walton, but they never seem to notice the man that sits in the closest table to the counter everyday. He is, by far, the nicest man around the community and would do anything to help community members.

Ronald Jansen, a pastor from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, brings his bible, wife, and many stories to the Dog Shed each and everyday. Since my parents bought the Dog Shed in 2009, I don’t recall that Ron has ever missed a day going to the Dog Shed except when he took a trip back to his home state of Pennsylvania.

Ron attended high school at Manheim Township in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He played football, basketball, and track during his glorious high school days. After he graduated in high school, he attended Lancaster Bible College to study the Lord.

Ron had many memories from the good-ole days. He told me he loved to spend time with and guide youth and children which he still does today. He also said he loved to play sports, hike and play in the woods nearby his home, and he enjoyed to help run the Brookside Day Camp. He also enjoyed to attend and be active in youth for christ club, be a part of Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking, counsel with Billy Graham crusades, and listen to good music such as light rock and country. In his glorious days, he met his beloved wife, Sue, which he still is married to today. If anyone hasn’t met Sue, he/she might want to get on top of that because she makes the absolute best cookies in the country. Sue makes dozens of cookies each and everyday and takes them across Walton to spread her joy and kindness in giving anyone a cookie.

Ron told me he sensed the call of God upon a profession of faith in Christ as his savior when I asked why he wanted to become a pastor. He also said he felt a strong desire to be a people person and wanting to teach God’s word.

He enjoys to tell jokes, walk, attend sporting events, spend time around his wife as well as animals, and prepare messages and talks. He then ventured to tell me he loves to help people and see how people’s lives change. Lastly, he enjoys to spend time with children and youth, give out informative and christian literature, and he loves to watch good movies.

Ron definitely loves to watch his favorite sports teams perform under the bright lights. His favorite teams are the St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders, and the Pacers. He enjoys to sit back, relax, and watch his favorite teams on TV.

Last of all, Ron moved from Pennsylvania to Indiana to be in Sue’s homestate. Sue attended Grace College and Indiana University to study education. After college, she taught school for 31 years, teaching 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade. Ron went on to tell me that Sue is a great help to him in Christian service.

2 Responses to “Everyday Customer”

1. Christian Lewis on May 14th, 2018 2:54 pm

I had the opportunity to talk to Ron at the Shed a few weeks ago, and I can tell you that you feel a little better about life after shaking his hand. He told to me he originally intended to teach high school after graduation, but he pursued ministry instead. I also read a print-out of his article, “I’m for the Young People,” and after reading your article,Dixon, I hope more people seize the opportunity to have a conversation with Old Ron. Great job.

2. Olivia Salyers on May 15th, 2018 5:18 pm

That’s awesome that you’re giving attention where attention is due. I have never met Ron before, but I definitely know who you’re talking about, and he sounds like an amazing man. Great article!

*

• Everyday Customer

Michaela Pullen loves being an RA at Ball State

• Everyday Customer

Senior Reality Day

• Everyday Customer

Who Wore it Best?

• Everyday Customer

Harley Davidson: A True American Legacy

• Everyday Customer

Teaching the U.S

• Everyday Customer

Surprise!

• Everyday Customer

Indiana Gas Prices On the Uprise Once AGAIN

• Everyday Customer

2019 Kings’ Cast

• Everyday Customer

Autism Awareness Month

• Everyday Customer

Pathology in the Hundred Acre Wood

Everyday Customer