Filed under Features

What I wish I Knew

The first piece of advice I could give you is to not wish away your years in high school. We all go through our ups and downs, but I promise you’ll miss the Friday night football games and every moment you spent laughing in the halls of Lewis Cass. I’ve walked down every hallway in the building, and I’ve walked past every old locker where I once threw my books. I can still picture myself standing in those crowded hallways laughing about something I did over the weekend or some joke told in class. I promise you that the next four years will feel like four minutes. It seems as if I blinked and I was no longer a freshman. One minute I was picking out what I should wear on the first day of freshman year and the next I’m sitting down to write this essay to you. The next four years are what you make of it, so make them the best.

One of the most significant pieces of advice I can give you is to include yourself in things and do what makes you really happy. Don’t live for other people and certainly don’t try to please everyone but yourself. I wish sometimes that I had chosen to do some of the things I really wanted to try and not what my friends all did, but as I grew up, I realized that making myself happy was important too. Join clubs, sports, and other groups! These will definitely help you make some of your best friends. Throughout school, I made some of my very best friends through sports, and I don’t regret a single second of any practice or game because they have given me some of the greatest people I’ve ever met. As corny as it sounds, don’t give into peer pressure. As hard as it sounds, I promise the word “no” won’t hurt anyone. Don’t do anything you don’t want to and find friends that support that. Always go with your gut. Overthinking is a killer and sometimes you just have to choose C or the longest answer.

Sports and clubs are definitely fun, but don’t forget what you come to school for! YOU MUST TRY HARD EVEN AS A FRESHMAN. So many kids make the mistake of slacking off their freshman and sophomore year, but doing this only puts you so far behind. I promise that saying no to going out with your friends when you have to study will hurt less than being told no by the college of your dreams. Not everyone is naturally smart, but don’t let that discourage you! I didn’t get a 4.2 GPA by doing nothing and I didn’t do it without the help of my mom and dad and the teachers at Lewis Cass. I promise that every teacher in the building is willing to do anything to help you succeed. My parents always pushed me to do my best, and as annoying as it is now, you will thank them later. If they don’t push you, I am pushing you now!

Don’t wish that you were anyone else, but also don’t forget that you can always improve yourself. Don’t forget the memories that this school gave you and don’t forget your friends. Don’t forget to listen to your teachers. Don’t forget to tell your parents that you love them because pretty soon they’ll be dropping you off at college or you’ll be moving away. Finally, don’t forget to be yourself and don’t forget the memories you made.