Filed under Student Life

Rosemary Todd Award Winner

Last weekend, Lewis Cass had its annual award ceremony in the auditorium. High school awards were followed by the senior scholarship awards, and everyone knows how important paying for college is. While for many students, especially seniors, the second section of the award ceremony was ranked higher on the importance ladder, some of the awards presented at the high school ceremony were worth watching.

Every year Bud Reed presents the Rosemary Todd Award. Rosemary Todd was a member of the class of 1961 at Washington Township High School. She passed away before the start of her senior year to a heart condition she had battled her whole life. Her life was short, but attitude and impact will live on forever. This year, the Rosemary Todd Award was given to Megan Dishon. This award is given to a junior girl who exemplifies what it means to make a difference. This student must be a good citizen, involved in extracurriculars, and have an excellent academic record.

Megan was caught by surprise when she heard her name called. She stated, “I didn’t really expect my name to be called for this award. I was listening in the audience about Rosemary and was just amazed by her achievements in her lifetime and when I heard my name, I was in shock of receiving the award.”

It’s not unreasonable to be surprised by receiving this award because it’s such an honor. The Rosemary Todd Award is meant for a student who exemplifies amazing character, and people of great character are often role models for other students. Because Megan has these qualities, I asked her what advice she would give to an underclassmen who wanted to also become a role model. She stated, “When I moved here from Logansport, I wanted to make new friends and try new things. Just getting into different clubs around the school and being in athletics has made my time here at Lewis Cass a great one. Another piece of advice is to always stay on top of the academics. Sports and clubs may be a good thing but in the end, the grades and learning experience are most important.”

Overall, Megan has been a role model for many students throughout her three years in high school, and she made an excellent Rosemary Todd Award winner!