Filed under Student Life

Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

“Time flies when you’re having fun.” That quote never seemed to be true until this year of high school. It seems as if yesterday Sophie Galloway, my best friend, and I were playing our first volleyball game together; however, Sophie graduates in two weeks. Sophie and I had an unbreakable bond. Somehow, together, we managed to make the most of every memory we created. I would have never thought we would become as close as we are now, but in the end it turned out for the better.
            Yesterday, Sophie took a few of her last steps at Lewis Cass, but she also took a few steps into her bright future. Sophie plans on traveling the world, going to Africa and Uganda, to take a year off school. The thought of her being that far away scares me to death, but deep down, I know that Sophie will forever be my best friend. Even though the thought scares me, I have never been more excited to see her succeed in life so here’s to you, Soph. 

With all that being said, I want you to know how much you mean to me and how thankful I am for you. Before you became my best friend, I never could stay happy for more than a month and I always looked at the negative side of every problem; however, you changed that. You helped me realize that not everything will go my way, not everybody will be fond of me , and not every rainbow I see will have a pot of gold at the end, but every situation has a silver lining if I look hard enough. You managed to turn my life upside down, in a good way. Shortly after I took your advice, I became a positive-minded person and I will never be able to say thank you enough.

Not only did your presence in my life bring happiness so did our crazy, adventurous memories we created. I remember every boring situation that happened, we made the best of it. I remember the days we would take your dog, Bella, to get ice cream, and we would blare the music with the windows down. I remember the times you invited me over for family game night, and everyone hated each other after your sister and boyfriend defeated your mom, you, and me at Pictionary. I remember all the wonderful times we shared, and I will hold them close to my heart for the rest of my life. You and I created memories that no one else could ever replace. You and I planned my senior year out together and how we would make it work while you were gone. You and I did it all together, Sophie, and I’m thankful it was you and nobody else.

I know I am getting a little sentimental and mushy, but I’m not even to the worst part. Sophie, I didn’t think much of you leaving high school because I knew we would stay close forever until yesterday as I was driving home from school. I was listening to the song we always listened to in the car, “American Teen” by Khalid, and I started bawling like a little baby. Reality hit me sooner than I thought. Today, I am in school realizing that you aren’t here with me and man does that scare me. I am sitting here thinking how next year, I won’t have my best friend to make high school better. Next year is my senior year and you won’t be here. Life is crazy and frightening on how time really does fly when you are having fun.            

Sophie, no matter where life may take us, you will always be my best friend and I want to say thank you. Thank you for being my backbone during the hardest times of my life. Thank you for helping me make the best of my junior year. Thank you for being my best friend, no matter if we argued which we seldom did. Most of all, thank you for being the sister I never had. No one really understands how much you mean to me and neither will you because not enough words can express such a big feeling. However, I want you to know that I am and I will always be.

Last but not least, I want you to know that I love you more than anything. I want you to know that I am your biggest supporter and your #1 fan. I want you to know how excited I am for you to chase your dreams and live your life to the fullest; however, I want you to know that I am going to be a train wreck without you. I am going to miss you so much, Sophie. You know, if you ever need anything, I will be a call or text away. I know you don’t know what’s going to happen while you are gone, but I can tell you one thing. Me, your mom, and Bella will be right here cheering you on. Oh, and don’t worry Soph, I will look over both of them and protect them with all that I can. With that being said, goodbye for now, my best friend.

Love always,

Your Little Sis

1 Comment

One Response to “Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend”

1. Brooklynn Fye on August 7th, 2018 6:44 pm

Ash I love this article you wrote! It truly shows how the bond between two people can grow and stay strong. Through out this article you explained how Sophie helped change your view of life, and its crazy to think one good friendship can do that. Keep looking at the positives! Great job keep writing.

*

• Features

My First Blood Drive

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

One Last Go Around

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

My Workplace

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

Dog Tags

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

Christmas Concert

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

SADD Farewell

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

A thousand miles strong

• Student Life

A Busy Version of Thanksgiving

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

Experiencing the first “Flawless” event!

• Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

ICYC With a Plot Twist

Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend