Filed under Student Life

Saying Goodbye To Bauer

Saying Goodbye To Bauer

Being a student at Lewis Cass has given me the opportunity of meeting people that have impacted my life. One person who has had an influence in my life is Mr. Bauer. After forty-one years of teaching, Mr. Bauer has decided to retire. The majority of Bauer’s years have been spent at Cass. He has been a King for the past thirty-nine years. His other two years of educating were spent at South Vermillion, where he started his teaching career.

Mr. Bauer had many great experiences while being a teacher. He stated, “Being around a great staff of teachers, administrators, and all of the students.” was his most favorite experience. He also stated that, “A lot of my close friends are here in the building.”

Mr. Bauer is always present and visible in the halls at Lewis Cass. It is common to see him talking to people and to take the time to ask people how they are doing. I was fortunate enough to help Mr. Bauer with one of his physical education classes during my study hall last year. I really enjoyed helping with his class and being around him. I was able to teach the younger students proper form for lifting exercise and I helped Mr. Bauer collect towels and take them to the washer. Bauer always took the time to help me as an athlete. He has taken time to help me develop better athletic skills and become stronger in the weight room. I really appreciate him taking time out of his life to do this for me. Bauer was also my Confirmation sponsor at my church last fall. I was really proud to have him stand up with me.

Mr. Bauer taught health, physical education, and ITE classes throughout his career. Bauer stated that having to discipline students, collect homework, and grade papers were his least favorite things about teaching. His favorite class to teach was his ITE classes. Bauer said, “I liked being able to watch students design, fix and repair, and complete projects.” As a student, I enjoyed being in Bauer’s ITE class and working on these projects. Bauer had a positive impact on many students. My brother, Alec, chose him at his impact teacher when he graduated last year.

Throughout his years at Cass, Bauer coached many different sports including boys’ and girls’ basketball, 7th grade football, high school tennis, swimming, and junior high and varsity track. Bauer said that his favorite thing about coaching was being able to coach his kids, Nicole and Beau. Nicole was on the girls basketball team that won the sectional in 1998. She later went on to play Division 2 basketball at Florida Gulf Coast. Beau was a member of the 2003 state champion team, and he later went on to play Division 1 basketball at IPFW.

Bauer has been happy with his career teaching and coaching. He stated, “I feel like I have more to offer, but at the same time I want to be healthy when I retire!” He is looking forward to being able to enjoy retirement with his friends and family for many years. Bauer will be missed by the students and staff at Cass, but we wish him our very best!

2 Responses to “Saying Goodbye To Bauer”

1. Caleb Johnson on May 21st, 2018 10:17 am

Great Article Gabe! Mr. Bauer has been a very influential teacher here at Lewis Cass. I’ve learned a lot from him when I was in his class, and I also was able to help him in a physical education class last year. You did a good job of describing his favorite moments here at Cass, and I’m sure he’ll miss the school as much as we’ll miss him. Once again, Great Story!

2. Jameson on May 21st, 2018 1:51 pm

It is a shame to see Mr. Bauer go. I’ve had him as a teacher for my eighth grade health class and he was a great teacher. Even though that was the only time I had him, Mr. Bauer still remembers me and says hello. Great article

*

• Features

My First Blood Drive

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

One Last Go Around

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

My Workplace

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

Dog Tags

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

Christmas Concert

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

SADD Farewell

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

A thousand miles strong

• Student Life

A Busy Version of Thanksgiving

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

Experiencing the first “Flawless” event!

• Saying Goodbye To Bauer

ICYC With a Plot Twist

Saying Goodbye To Bauer