Filed under Features

Mike Bauer Leaves His Mark

Everybody in the Lewis Cass School Corporation has heard the name Mike Bauer. He has been here for many years. Some may know him as a teacher, others may know him as a coach, and everybody knows him as a great all-around person. Bauer has taught for 41 years. Of those years, two were at South Vermillion and 39 have been at Lewis Cass. He taught many different sports and is still a great basketball player and coach. Mr. Bauer is retiring this year, and he will definitely be missed as one of the best teachers, coaches, and mentors in Lewis Cass history.

Bauer has enjoyed being apart of many kids lives and even being able to teach his own kids. “I have enjoyed being around a great staff of teachers, administrators, and all of the students. A lot of my close friends are here in the building,” Bauer said. Now of course with all of the fun things that come with being a teacher, a lot of bad things are also present. Bauer described his bad times as “having to discipline students, collecting homework, and grading.” Overall Bauer has really enjoyed his teaching career and has loved all of his time here.

Bauer also spent a lot of time at Cass as a coach. In Bauer’s 41 years teaching, he has coached a team of some sort for nearly every year. Mr. Bauer coached just about anything you can think of at Cass. In the fall, he has coached boys tennis, and even Jr. High football. In the winter, he has really made his name. He coached his son and many other great players on the boys’ basketball team. He was assistant coach to Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame coach Basil Mawbey. Bauer also coached his daughter and the girl’s basketball team and both swim teams during the winter. Bauer loves running so it is only right that he coaches track. He has coached Jr. High and High School track.

After leaving an amazing legacy in the school system, Bauer is shifting his focus to different aspects of his life.  “I’m going to learn how to loaf, travel, and help out with my parents,” Bauer said. He will continue to run everyday and keep an active and healthy lifestyle. He is looking to spend a lot of time with his family. Bauer said, “I just want to be able to enjoy my retirement with my family for many years.”