Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

The+Jones%27+and+I+at+Lake+Barkley.+
The Jones' and I at Lake Barkley.

The Jones' and I at Lake Barkley.

The Jones' and I at Lake Barkley.

I hear the rustling of leaves as a breeze graces this hot day. The birds and insects unapologetically sing their songs as loud as they can muster. The hot, humid air sticks to my skin. The sun beams down on the Earth making the world bright. Everything drips with the scent of fresh water from the lake. I am imagining my vacation. This summer I went to the beautiful Lake Barkley in Kentucky with my friend Cana and her family. Not only did I enjoy it, I became closer to this wonderful family.

Normally, I do not go on many vacations; therefore, I’m sure you can imagine my excitement when my best friend, Cana Jones, invited me to go to Lake Barkley with her family. I had not been to Lake Barkley, so I had no clue what to expect. Finally, after all the anticipation, the vacation had begun. When we arrived, I was overwhelmed with my surroundings. A canopy of trees rose above me, animals everywhere I looked, and the gorgeous, blue lake in the distance.

During the vacation, we did many activities. After breakfast, we always started with a workout of playing basketball and tennis. I improved a lot in tennis as the vacation continued. In the beginning, I barely could hit the ball! Although, towards the end I could play decently. After the courts, we would soak up some sun and cool down at the pool. Then we would play card and board games, fish, or tube until dinner. I was surprised when I caught myself having fun while tubing on Lake Barkley. I never really liked tubing, because it’s very rough and I don’t like water. Which is ironic, because I am a swimmer! However, this trip might have changed my mind, because it felt like I was sliding on glass. Before this trip, I had never fished. I learned that I really enjoy fishing. I caught a few bluegill and sunfish.

Surprisingly, I became even closer to the Jones family when I thought I already was as close as I could get. Rhoda is the mom, Jeremy the dad, Nathan the oldest son, and Cana the youngest daughter. This trip showed that they are all very close and definitely value humor. The entire vacation nobody could stop laughing. I always had a smile on my face. We all spent a lot of time together, resulting in, lots of teasing. I can’t count how many times somebody made fun of someone else. We played Phase Ten a few times, and that always ended with someone losing very badly, which is always funny. I had so much fun at Lake Barkley with the Jones’.

Overall, I will remember this trip forever. I learned and tried new things, became closer to an amazing family, and simply had a great time. Lake Barkley is a place for everyone to enjoy with many different things to do from tubing on the lake to just playing a good card game with your friends and family. Lake Barkley did not disappoint, that’s for sure!

6 Responses to “Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember”

1. McKayla Thompson on August 7th, 2018 11:24 am

Such a great story! My family goes to the lake together, and I agree it is such a great time. I love how you described how excited you were, it adds your character to the story. Good job Hannah!

2. Bella Panmei on August 7th, 2018 12:28 pm

I love your article! This makes me feel as if I, myself was there. I loved reading about your experience and how well you described your encounters. Your writing is very exquisite and entertaining.

3. Katelyn Schreckenghaust on August 8th, 2018 7:41 am

I loved reading your story! I really liked how you described how you became even closer to their family even though you were already really close to begin with. You also did a great job of describing everything you did in detail.

4. Clara Licklider on August 8th, 2018 11:30 am

Your story is mind-boggling! I love the amount of detail you put in the beginning. It really keeps the person wondering where the intro is going. You did very great descriptive work and my favorite part was when you talked about all the fun things you did on the trip.

5. Jayla Brown on August 28th, 2018 8:22 am

It was a really good story. I loved how descriptive you are in the story. I have never been tubing before but it sounds fun. I liked how you mentioned how close you got with the family. Even though you already thought you were close. Well written article. I can’t wait to read more!

6. Grace Seals on September 12th, 2018 2:44 pm

Amazing article Hannah! I loved how descriptive you were! It made me feel as if I was there with you. Keep up the good work!

• Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

And Then They Said “I Do”

• Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

Moving Up In The Fencing Ladder

• Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

Saddle Up and Ride a Bronc

• Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

A Memory to Cherish Forever

• Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

I want sports in my life

Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember