New Experiences Lead to Great Memories

The big day had finally arrived; it was the moment I could not wait for any longer. I knew after this big day my life would change, and I would have responsibilities, chores, and lots of cleaning to do. In the car, I just couldn’t stop thinking about the destination I was headed towards. My heart was beating so fast from excitement. When we arrived, they gave me three choices, and it felt as if I was making the hardest decision of my life. I had to pick one after falling in love with them all. This day will be one I remember forever; it was the day I got my precious holland lop bunny.

I’m the youngest child in my family so begging comes naturally to me. I begged forever to get a bunny. I did a lot of sweet talk and brought out my puppy-dog eye begging so I ,eventually, got a yes. The idea of getting a bunny was to show it in the 4-h County Fair. I was so thrilled that I finally experienced this. I had to go to several bunny meetings, and I think I was the only one there that had no clue what was going on. I knew nothing about bunnies and I truly mean it. Did you know the roll of fat around a bunny’s neck was called a dewlap? Yeah, neither did I. Fair came up fast; Harli, my bunny, had to get ready to be shown.

My bunny was judged on Monday. I arrived at the fair early that morning to brush her and make sure she got plenty of food. The judge looks at the bigger breeds of rabbits first and then moves on down the line. Soon I heard the judge say, “All holland lops report to the table.” I grabbed Harli and reported to the judge. Harli got 1st for her class but didn’t place for her breed. I was still super excited, for Harli had came home with a blue ribbon.

I enjoyed going to the fair everyday to visit my bunny. Anytime I saw one of my friends at the fair I immediately would direct them towards the rabbit barn to see my bunny. Harli was by far the cutest bunny at the fair. With her floppy ears and cute little nose, everyone was stopping to look at her. I also enjoyed that everytime I went to check on Harli I bought some fried food with a sweet lemon shake-up.

Overall, I had an amazing experience showing for my first time at the Cass County fair. I would recommend showing a rabbit if you want to show an animal but don’t have room for a larger animal. They are loving, adorable animals and make great pets. I’m already begging for another bunny so be looking forward to my next bunny story. Also make sure to come see my rabbits next year at our very own Cass County fair.

6 Responses to “New Experiences Lead to Great Memories”

1. Brannyn Spencer on August 9th, 2018 11:15 am

Your bunny is so cute. I liked how you explained how your bunny was judged. It great that it was your first year and received first place. Great article McKayla

[Reply]

2. Bella Panmei on August 9th, 2018 11:20 am

I love love love your article. It is a relatable and entertaining story. Love how you included what you ate when visiting Harli. This article is a good story to read for anyone wanting a bunny to show.

[Reply]

3. Lauren Hileman on August 9th, 2018 8:50 pm

I absolutely loved seeing your bunny at the fair! I think that your bunny will do great next year. Thank you for going into some detail in the bunny process. It helps that many people in the surrounding area is very, very familiar with some of the processes. I hope that you get another bunny!

[Reply]

4. Katelyn Schreckenghaust on August 12th, 2018 5:18 pm

I loved reading about your bunny! I liked how you explained your experience with showing your bunny for the first time at fair and how you always directed your friends to go see her. It sounds like you learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Great article!

[Reply]

5. Kelsey Wise on August 13th, 2018 7:57 am

I love the pictures you have with your bunny! Really great explanation and detail about how the 4-H fair went down and how you represented your bunny. I have a rat and I know that cleaning the cages can be annoying but they do teach responsibility and eventually it becomes a routine so really great article!

[Reply]

6. Josie Woolever on August 13th, 2018 11:12 am

I loved this! I could really tell just how excited you were about getting Harli through your word choice. I, myself, went and meant Harli for the first time at the fairgrounds, and she really is just as cute as you described her! Great story, can’t wait to hear more about your new addition when it comes!

[Reply]

Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

• New Experiences Lead to Great Memories

A&E

Sense8

• New Experiences Lead to Great Memories

Features

Galveston is back to normal!

• New Experiences Lead to Great Memories