Coping With Heartbreak

Everyone has a certain word that makes his/her skin crawl. If someone were to write down every word that made his/her skin crawl, they might start to notice a thing or two about the list. Things that could be noticable might be that the length of the list gets longer the older they get, the words have a deeper meaning in life, and the power behind the words. Not all parts of the list might be bad, but the ones that stick out the most are the ones that have impacted one’s life directly.

Everyone’s list is different; not a single list should be the same. Before I start to explain a few words on my list, I would like to share a short story with you. The summer of 2013. At this time I was still 12 growing up, only worrying about what time I had to be home and having fun. My curfew didn’t really matter because I was camping with my family up at Mississinewa. Everyone in the campground knew each other, but that night was special because we met new people that were moving into a spot down the road. Little did I know that 12 year old me would grow to love and care for this new group of people moving in. As time passed and everyone became a big happy camping family, we all grew up learning life lessons every weekend. Until we were all faced with a heartbreaking challenge. We found out that part of our camping family would be facing a challenging moment.

The phone call stated, “We feel like it would be important for you all to know today we found out that Ron Jon has stage 4 cancer. Doctors don’t know how long he has, but he asked to see you all before he goes.” That was it. The moment my skin crawled with tingling feelings of heartbreak, that someone who helped transform me into the person I am today would be fighting his toughest battle in life, and I could not do anything to help him. So we all met up as a big family and shared a nice meal with Ron Jon and his wife for the last time.

This experience added a few words to my list: cancer, love, and hopelessness. Cancer might be on multiple lists, but everyone has a different reaction to the word. Mine makes me cringe in pain knowing that this silly thing has taken some great people out of this world. Love is an emotion that is happy, overwhelming, and even sad sometimes. Love makes you feel as if you are on cloud nine one second and at the lowest of lows the next. That is exactly how it was in this situation. Suddenly watching Ron Jon and my favorite college team wasn’t so fun. Last, but definitely not the least known, hopelessness is a word that seems weak to admit but is honest when it’s said. Hopelessness sends a cold chilling tingle throughout the body that is indescribable. It tears a hole inside that hurts with every passing second. Knowing that nothing in anyone’s power will help fix the situation at hand is heart wrenching.  

Not all parts of the list might be bad, but the ones that stick out the most are the ones that have impacted one’s life directly. No matter the words that impact one person’s life, we can all agree each word changes each and every individual. In the end, it all reflects on different situations, different words, and different outcomes of every person; maybe that is why everyone has a different perspective on words that people use when explaining how they feel.

6 Responses to “Coping With Heartbreak”

1. Clara Licklider on August 13th, 2018 11:25 am

The article that you have done is very emotional. Every part that I read it was as if I could feel the emotions that you poured inside it. I know what it is like to have a loved one battling cancer, and I understand how difficult it can be. You are brave in so many ways for dealing with it, and for writing about it. I love this article and I can’t wait to read many more!

2. Bella Panmei on August 15th, 2018 12:21 pm

I absolutely love your article! It was very well written and it made me feel as if I was going through the same experience even though I have not. I can not even imagine how you have felt but the way you wrote was very attention grabbing. Your style of writing is unique and entertaining. Can not wait for more of your stories!

3. Caleb Johnson on August 27th, 2018 8:10 am

Nice Article Brooklyn. You did a great job describing how you and your family reacted to the call. You even described the three words that are now added to your list. Great story, and sorry for your loss

4. Dylan Fye on August 27th, 2018 6:15 pm

I also knew Ron Jon may he R.I.P.He was a huge Alabama fan and at the campground every Alabama game home or away he would watch them and when I was 8 years old and met Ron Jon we were close friends and he gave me a Alabama cap and Brooklynn an Alabama golf visor and every time I wear my hat I know he is with me by spirit and he will always be in my heart no matter what and I can’t wait to see him again in heaven.

5. Robert Fitch III on September 4th, 2018 11:28 am

Great article Brooklyn. I really liked how you made this story to help the reader think about how other people feel when they say stuff like that. Also how people could recognize how they can keep writing about feelings.

6. Mackenzie Hodupp on October 4th, 2018 11:21 am

This is a great article! It gave me chills reading this, this article relates to a lot of people is numerous aspects. I understand how difficult it can be to lose a person that means as much as your own family.

*

• Coping With Heartbreak

Courier Top Opinion Article

Time Management

• Coping With Heartbreak

Courier Top Opinion Article

My Parents: My Best Friends

• Coping With Heartbreak

Showcase

Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal

• Coping With Heartbreak

Lewis Cass Pep Club Revived

• Coping With Heartbreak

Getting Shot With My Own Fear

• Student Life

Growing Up

• Coping With Heartbreak

And Then They Said “I Do”

• Coping With Heartbreak

Features

Lewis Cass Cross Country Sectional Preview

• Coping With Heartbreak

A&E

Mamma Mia! Here I Go Again

• Coping With Heartbreak

Borns

Coping With Heartbreak