Filed under A&E

What Do You Need?

What Do You Need?

What do you need? It’s a commonly asked question but a difference between a want and a need exists. A person needs a heart, lungs, food, water, or like the main character Kaylee’s little brother, who needs a kidney. Most people get these confused and say they need a phone, concert tickets, or the newest clothes. However, those are wants, not needs. In NEED by Joelle Charbonneau one will figure that out very quickly with the turn of events in her novel. Charbonneau is an award winning author and one of my personal favorites. In this book review, I will be explaining one of her best sellers NEED, my likes, and my dislikes about the story.

First, if you’re interested in crazy occurrences, mysteries, murder, and jaw-dropping moments, than NEED is the book for you. The setting for NEED is present day Wisconsin at Nottowa High School. A new website is going around called NEED, which is an anonymous website that only Nottowa High School students can access. On the website you can type in something that you “need” and it comes true. Sounds fishy right? Well it’s not; students all over the high school can join this site. All the students have to do is send invites to get things they “need.” These needs can range from concert tickets, to make up, and even very luxurious workout equipment. However, Kaylee, the main character of the story, is the only one that puts in a true need. Her little brother needs a kidney to live. When she hits enter for her need, the website does something different than the other kids; she doesn’t have to complete a task. The website simply says to wait. Soon after the eerie situation that happened to Kaylee, all the kids are invited. So, how do you complete the invites to get your needs, when no one is left to invite? This is when NEED takes a perilous turn in the story. Kids now have to complete tasks to get what they need; some of the tasks are easy, but most are incredibly psychotic.

Second, I have very many likes about this book. The first thing I like about this book is how relatable it was. The main characters are teenagers and the majority of the readers are of the same age. The second thing I liked about NEED was the whole time I was reading the book, I was completely engaged because of the following: murder, thrill, backstabbing, twists and turns, lying, and treachery. Some moments the book was normal and some I had chills running down my back. Everything was very realistic. I wouldn’t say it was a horror book, but it definitely had some scary parts. Most of the time I couldn’t put the book down when I was supposed to do something. Books like that are my favorite. I would say that the age group for this book would be 13 and up because in the book these things happen: vandalism, explosions, poisoning, and murder. But, if you would like a good read that you can just sit and read continuously without getting bored, than NEED is definitely for you.

Third, I do not have many dislikes about this book. If I had to change one thing, it would be the ending of the book. At the end the book gets confusing. This is because of about ten things are suddenly happening all at once. I understand why the author did this, but the information just gets mixed together too much. Also, NEED does not have a follow up book, so it just leaves the reader hanging on a big cliffhanger. I think if the author, Joelle Charbonneau, extended the book by 75 pages or so, the ending would have been much clearer to the reader.

In conclusion, NEED is one of my favorite books. It is exciting, murderous, and attention grabbing. The story line is also very well put together. Joelle did a marvelous job on writing this captivating story. I would tweak the end just a little to make it less confusing, but other than that I think NEED is one of the best books I’ve ever read! One thing that I have taken away from the book NEED is that there is a difference between a want and a need. So before you go and make hasty decisions, think about it, what do you need?

1 Comment

One Response to “What Do You Need?”

1. Bella Panmei on August 10th, 2018 12:16 pm

I love your article! Especially at the end when you ask what WE needed. Your explanations and reasons were fantastic. I already want to read this book right now.

*

• What Do You Need?

A&E

The Return of Drago VS Creed!

• What Do You Need?

A&E

The Legend of Hercules

• What Do You Need?

A&E

The Grinch : this will change your holiday cheer!

• What Do You Need?

A&E

The Meg

• What Do You Need?

A&E

Holding Back From Human Emotions

• What Do You Need?

A&E

Another Great NBA2k!

• A&E

We are Venom

• What Do You Need?

A&E

Bohemian Rhapsody

• What Do You Need?

A&E

A Lesson Learned from The Fountainhead

• What Do You Need?

A&E

“Midnight Sun”: Prepare for tissues

What Do You Need?