The Start of Something New

All through school, since 4th grade, I had been a cheerleader. After moving to Lewis Cass my sophomore year, I thought it would be a good idea not participating in cheer due to learning new material while trying to focus on my classes. This is my third and final year here at Lewis Cass and I want to make my senior year one to remember. I decided to switch it up this year and join cheer again.

This process started in May when we had tryouts. Before the official tryout, we had three practices to learn material we would need to perform in front of the coaches. The material included jumps, a cheer, a dance, and a kickline. They were not very difficult but stressed me out very much. I was so worried that I would mess up during the dance and not make the team. I stayed up some nights very late practicing the material. On tryout day, my group went second. I thought I did terrible. I was very nervous, my voice was shaky, and I didnt think my jumps were very good. I checked the cheer website to find out I made the team! I was very excited for this new beginning. I started thinking about how fun the bus rides, football games, and basketball games would be.

The next big thing to occur cheer camp. It is a challenging three days. We did our camp in Elkhart at the Indiana Ultimate facility. The main focus of this camp was stunting. Stunting is where you are in groups of four with two bases to lift a flyer and a back spot to support the group.I believe that our groups learned many things and benefited greatly. Not only were we there to cheer, but the first night we also did some shopping at the University Park Mall not far from the Notre Dame campus. The second day after attending camp, we went to Lake Michigan and spent the day on the beach. We played in the water a lot including jumping off the pier. On the final day, we went to camp and then had the long drive home. I had so much fun spending three days with my team and making so many memories. My cheer camp experience was one I will always cherish.

So far, picking out little sisters was my favorite thing. I love each and every one of my team members so when it came to this, I it took me a while to decide. I finally figured out who I wanted. Carley Musall, sophomore, and I had been talking a lot at cheer and we hung out a few times within our friend group. I thought it would be a great idea for her to be my little sister. Keeping it a secret from her became a chore but somehow I did it. We have had so much fun together in and out of school, from cheer practice to late nights watching Netflix.

Overall, I cannot see what cheer season has to hold. We have already gotten so close and became one big family, so it can only get better from here. It makes me so happy to have gotten so close with many new girl and create new friendships that I will always remember.

4 Responses to “The Start of Something New”

1. Ashli Key on August 10th, 2018 11:14 am

Great article Brannyn! I love how you put so much emotion into this article and even explained what certain events you do in and out of cheer. You did good at making the reader feel as if they were in your position. It sounds like you have a a lot of good times ahead of you. Good luck with cheer this year!

2. Reece Rodabaugh on August 12th, 2018 9:47 pm

Brannyn this is an outstanding article! I like how you explained everything from cheer camp to the activities you guys do outside of sports. Also as I was reading your article I felt like I was in your shoes reading this and I really liked that. Great article!

3. Kelsey Wise on August 13th, 2018 7:54 am

I really like your article because so many can relate to what you’re saying. Starting something new can be tough and exciting and I think it’s awesome that you’re really putting yourself out there and do what you think is good for you. I like how you also told that picking your little sister was your favorite thing so far, really great article.

4. Hannah Plauschin on August 13th, 2018 8:53 am

I love this article Brannyn! I love how you talked about your cheer experience and growth all the way from 4th grade. It gives a lot of back ground and allowed me to easily connect to the article. Good job!

*

• The Start of Something New

Dan’s Donuts

• The Start of Something New

The Gift of Adopting A Dog

• The Start of Something New

A Concert to Remember

• The Start of Something New

New Experiences Lead to Great Memories

• The Start of Something New

Becoming Bilingual

• The Start of Something New

Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

• The Start of Something New

A&E

Sense8

• The Start of Something New

Features

Galveston is back to normal!

• The Start of Something New

Features

Training Man’s Best Friend

• The Start of Something New

A&E

Countless Make-Pretend Words

The Start of Something New