Why do students participate in sports?

Baseball, basketball, football, volleyball, softball, swimming, wrestling, golf, track, cross country, tennis, and cheer all are what we define as sports. Do all of these sports have a purpose in one’s life or are they just for enjoyment? Do they help define our character or maybe help people build certain skills? Are they impacting a student’s life? I think they all have an impact on a student’s life here at Lewis Cass in various ways and to prove this let’s take a inside look at some of our athlete’s opinions.

LCXC team bonding

Running, running, and running some more, can this really have a impact on someone? According to Josie, a cross country runner, her running taught her “not to focus so much on the future.” She also says that running and having a great coach to support her has helped her deal with stress throughout high school. Josie doesn’t just run for enjoyment; she does it for the atmosphere of having such a great bond with the team. Running a course may be fun, but what about running in circles? Talking to Bella Panemi, a sprinter in track, I found out she really enjoys track. She says, “I do track because it keeps me in shape.” Because of track, Bella now tries to eat healthier because running on a stomach full of junk food is not fun. Eating healthier will allow her to feel healthier giving her a better attitude while running.

Enough about running, do other sports impact students as well? Robert fitch, a basketball player, said that basketball has made a major impact on his life. He doesn’t just play at Cass though; he also plays at Brownsburg Basketball Club. His major impact was through this club. “The coach pushes you a 110 percent to get you better and pursue your dreams,” Robert explains. He said that he likes basketball “because you can meet new friends.” He has loved basketball since he was five, and he will continue to love it as he hopes to play in the NBA one day.

“Fore, fore, fore.” Time to talk about golf. How could hitting a ball with a stick impact your life? Brooklynn Fye says, “Golf has made me a better person. It makes me think about the next move I will make.” She also explains how golf takes mental strength and allows for new challenges. She continues to play because it gives her a challenge each and every time she golfs.

Plunging into the cold water everyday after school, Branynn Spencer, a swimmer, said swimming has impacted her life. As she swims lap after lap, she builds up her strength so she’s ready for the meet. She said,”Swimming has taught me how to push through things.” Although swim involves a lot of hard practices and lots of conditioning, she managed to never give up and keep trying. Her favorite thing about being a swimmer is the team. She explains how swim involves a lot of team bonding and they all became close with one another.

“Go Kings!,5..6..7..8”  Cheerleading is not just about being peppy and loud; it takes a lot of teamwork to accomplish anything. I am a Lewis Cass cheerleader. Cheerleading has impacted my life by helping me develop skills to work with one another. It has made me realize that trust is an important thing and sometimes you need help from others. Without all the small details, you can’t create the big picture. I enjoy cheer because it has allowed me to make friendships that I will always remember. My favorite part about being a cheerleader is being a role model to younger girls. As we do our cheers, all the little girls try to do them along with us and it simply brings a smile to my face to see this.

Overall, I believe sports help shape a student’s character. They impact their lives and help teach them valuable lessons along with skills. All these students that I have talked to enjoyed their sports, and they all had something to take away with them that would help them in their day to day lives. Trying new sports can open new opportunities and allow you to meet new people. I believe every student should at least try a sport. They will never know what they like unless they try.

6 Responses to “Why do students participate in sports?”

1. Cjay74 on August 22nd, 2018 7:53 am

Great article! I really like how you really tried incorporated all of the sports at the school. I thought it was awesome on how you got quotes from students participating in the sports. You really kept things to the point! Great article!

2. Caleb Johnson on August 27th, 2018 7:54 am

Nice Story McKayla! I really thought it was interesting how you talked to one person from almost every sport. Each of them said what they loved about their sport so I thought that was fun. Great way to summarize why students play sports!

3. Lauren Hileman on August 27th, 2018 8:10 am

This is a very good article! Thank you for including golf. Golf is a very strategic sport and it doesn’t get a ton of attention as the other sports at Cass. It seems like you went into detail and tried to find someone from everything. The quotes kept things interesting so it wasn’t just a copy and paste paragraph every time. It was very personal. Good job!

4. Brooklynn Fye on August 28th, 2018 12:08 pm

Amazing job McKayla! I love how you used different different sports to validate your point on how sports impact everyone. I did notice that every sport has something in common they all help each and every student become who they are. Sports are fun to play, but they are use mainly build our character as we travel through life.

5. Keaton Lewellen on August 28th, 2018 1:55 pm

Great job McKayla!!!

6. Isaiah Nunez on August 29th, 2018 1:17 pm

i also think that students should participate in sports because they can have friends on the way and it also inspires them do something outside of what they are use to.

*

• Why do students participate in sports?

Courier Top Sports Article

Upcoming Wrestling Season

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings Football Preview for 2018 Season

Courier Top Sports Article

Lewis Cass Men’s XC Preview

Courier Top Sports Article

Boys tennis ready for the Berries!

Courier Top Sports Article

Ready to Cheer for the Kings

Courier Top Sports Article

Leaving A Mark, My Senior Season

Courier Top Sports Article

Purdue: The Next Chapter of My Life

Courier Top Sports Article

Softball Injuries

Showcase

Advertiser of the Week

• A&E

Invictus

Why do students participate in sports?