Velkommen To America

Has anyone ever gone to a sleepover or spent more than a night at their house without your family? How about moving schools and becoming the new kid? Moving into a new country is way worse than moving to a different school or spending the night for the first time away from your parents. Try going back to the first time you left your parents to go to a friend’s house or moving schools or neighborhoods. If that was nerve-wrecking then, imagine living with a stranger in a different country for a whole year. On top of all that, you had to go to school speaking a language that wasn’t even your mother tongue. Becoming a foreign exchange student is not only adventurous and exciting but brave and scary. Ever wanted to know what it was like to be a foreign exchange student but was too nervous to try it? This should help in that general area.

Benji, a junior, became a foreign exchange student because he wanted to experience the American culture and meet new people. He does not miss home much right now-probably because he is having such a blast. Some language barrier words exist that he hasn’t heard before so some subjects are a little tricky at times. Benji thinks the biggest differences from Denmark to America are the different food and not much public transportation. People drive cars here to school whereas he either rode a bike or the train to school. He also stayed in one class the whole day for a longer period as well.

Even though it is different, he likes the states very well so far. He has a younger sister and brother. He had a cat and a rabbit back home and has two dogs and two cats here. Benji likes that the sports is right after school and done with the school. Sports are not done through the school in Denmark. He runs cross-country now with the influence of Carl Jay. His favorite sport is basketball-like every other teenage boy am I right? He would like to see other states as well but doesn’t have a preference. Benji likes playing video games and hanging out with his friends. His favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption and his favorite food is fish fillets.

The difference from Denmark to here is a whopping 6 hours and the climate is almost the same. He was jet lagged only a little bit when first arriving here. He is living with Stephanie and Jeffrey Angus. Benji believes that the people in the school and community are very nice. Before coming to the small-town of Walton, he had lived in a fairly bigger city in Denmark. Benji didn’t find any trouble learning English for he and his fellow classmates back home in Denmark studied the language of English when very young. Benji believes that our school is not that much smaller than the one in Denmark.

Overall, I believe Benji is fitting in very well in school and enjoying what he does. Doing something you have never done before is always a frightening thing, but once you do it, it doesn’t seem all that bad before you first tried it. Benji is making memories and having new adventures which keeps life interesting and fun. Would you have had the courage to do what Benji did if you were in his shoes?

9 Responses to “Velkommen To America”

1. Cjay74 on August 30th, 2018 8:14 am

Bella, I am glad that you wrote this article. I am glad to hear that Benji is enjoying The US so far. I like how you where able to get so much information, to compare and contrast life here versus like in Denmark. Great article!

2. Dixon on August 30th, 2018 9:06 am

It’s outstanding that Benji is loving America! I’m thrilled he is having a great time in our community as well as our school. I like how you explained the differences from Denmark to America. Great article!

3. Clara Licklider on August 30th, 2018 12:14 pm

I really loved your story Bella! I have always been curious about how people feel when they come to the US and this article did a fantastic job explaining it. I can’t wait for more articles!

4. Robert Fitch on August 30th, 2018 12:17 pm

This was a good story Bella I thought you did a really good job on explaining how he feels about the area surrounding him. He is a really great friend and like to have fun great job on the writing Bella keep it up.

5. Jack Salyers on August 30th, 2018 12:20 pm

Great Story Bella! I enjoyed how you explain how Benji enjoys his time here in the United States. Hopefully he gets making memories here and has a great time. Keep up the fantastic writing.

6. Caleb Johnson on September 5th, 2018 7:59 am

Great Article Bella! You did a good job of describing his favorite sports and even what he likes to do at home. I thought it was cool how you talked about his school in Denmark and how they stay in one class all day. Once again, good job!

7. Annie Daily on September 5th, 2018 9:27 am

You expressed really well how scary it would be to be a foreign exchange student. I can’t imagine how lonely it could be at times. Good article!

8. Briana on September 11th, 2018 10:10 pm

You did an amazing job describing how Benji felt about our the US and I love how you captured his prospected about the difference of Denmark and America.

9. Fernanda on September 12th, 2018 8:08 pm

Nice article I like how you described everything so well, and you also explained how Benji felt so well.

*

• Velkommen To America

Red Ribbon Week Pep Session

• Velkommen To America

Caught up in addictions

• Velkommen To America

Sleepin’ Joe vs Chinaman Braun

• Velkommen To America

New Escape Room in Kokomo

• Velkommen To America

An Unusual Break

• Velkommen To America

Halloween Traditions: Past and Present

• Velkommen To America

An Open Letter to My Peers About Abuse

• Velkommen To America

Lewis Cass Spanish Club

• Velkommen To America

Lewis Cass Pep Club Revived

• Velkommen To America

Borns

Velkommen To America