Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Pictured above is the preschool room before it was finished. Soon to come is a feature about the students' lives and classroom after they get further into the year.

We have many new changes coming our way at Lewis Cass this year, but one of the most exciting of them all is that we will soon be having a preschool located right in the high school! This is very beneficial in many more ways than people might think, so before anyone begins to complain about the fact that we will soon have more little kids in the school, let me just explain how this could help not only the parents of younger children and the children themselves, but the students as well.

For starters, not all of the kids will be located in the high school. Right now, three total teachers and an aid will be teaching these students. Two of them will be at the high school, and one of them, with an aid, will be at Lewis Cass Elementary. The purpose of this is that some parents aren’t quite ready for their children to be at school all day long so the corporation set it up to have the all day students located in the high school and the half day students at the elementary. Not only does the elementary have the children who will be going half day, but they also have a more hands on program for the students who may need a little extra help. I think this is great because students of all abilities and needs will have personal attention.

Not only Is Lewis Cass Pre-School offering great opportunity, but a “low cost, yet high quality preschool option” according to Angela Johnson, the head of the program.

Around here, very few childcare options exist, so usually it is very expensive for parents to have to drive out of their ways to find someone that is able to watch their children, but not here. This preschool is open to everyone and the only thing that might cause enrollment to be closed, but according to Mrs. Johnson, a few openings remain for enrollment. This preschool is only ten dollars a week to send your child. Lewis Cass received a $100,000 grant for building and a $53,000 grant for other expenses such as training, but $20,000 of it goes solely towards supplies for the school.

Now, I probably have some of you wondering how this is beneficial to us high school students in any way, but let me tell you, it is. Angela is partnering with the Family Consumer Science (FCS) teacher, Ms. Wagoner, to create a program for the students that consider taking child development classes. They will be giving high school students an opportunity to deal with real children, and they don’t have to go very far for it. Not only is she working with other teachers in our school, but she is also trying to partner with Ivy Tech Community College to create a program that will allow students to graduate from Lewis Cass with their CDA’s which is a Child Development Associate certificate that allows professional development opportunities for early educators working with children ages birth to 5 years old to demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities in the early childhood education field.
         This is a great change coming our way for all of us and I can’t wait to see how these changes help and improve things for us and our community.

7 Responses to “Lewis Cass Preschool Program”

1. Ryne Birnell on September 5th, 2018 8:02 am

Great article lanie! thanks for sharing the information about the new preschool. It will be cool to see where this goes. Also it is great that family consumer sciences will be able to help out.

2. R Engle on September 8th, 2018 11:02 am

Great writing and a very interesting story!

3. Katelyn Schreckenghaust on September 10th, 2018 8:05 am

I think it’s really cool that the new preschool program will be beneficial to not only parents but also students in the Family Consumer Science program. It’s a great opportunity for high school students going into child care programs. Great article!

4. Jasmine on September 12th, 2018 10:25 pm

I liked how you article was well wrote out, and how you used a lot of detail as in prices.

5. Briana on September 25th, 2018 1:37 pm

This was a great story. I love little kids think they are adorable, so I cant wait for them to come here.

6. Hugh Gonzalez on September 25th, 2018 1:49 pm

Great article. Now I know why there is a playground outside the school.

7. Bowe Brooks on September 26th, 2018 9:13 pm

I enjoyed reading about this article! I think it is good to learn what goes on with the younger kids in the school and ways that things are changing for them. They are the future of our school so we need the best for them!

*

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Courier Top News Stories

Robotics Faceoff Saturday at Cass

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Courier Top News Stories

Making a Change

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Courier Top News Stories

John McCain: An American Hero Laid to Rest

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Courier Top News Stories

First Day Glitch

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

STOP!T

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Sports

Men’s Swimming and Diving Preview.

• A&E

We are Venom

• Student Life

Diamond This Diamond That

• Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Features

Operation Christmas Child

Lewis Cass Preschool Program