Making a Change

Keith Deltano loves to have fun with his audience.

To make a change in a community, people need to stand up. People may think that their individual changes won’t be much of a contribution, but any form of taking a stand can help. Bullying, an issue with our school and community, needs to be recognized and prevented. Many people have probably already heard about how bullying is awful, but is anybody really trying to make a change?

Joining with Keith Deltano, our school and community is having an anti-bullying convocation. Jessica Houston, social worker for Lewis Cass Elementary, said, “Education coming from a guest speaker can put a fresh spin on a message, often making the message more impactful.”

People may be thinking that this convocation will be the same as every anti-bullying convocation we’ve had in the past, but this speaker is known for taking a different approach to get through to his audience. Keith Deltano uses humor to keep the attention of his audience. Mrs. Johnson, student services coordinator for Lewis Cass High School, stated, “The speaker we have invited will ‘break the ice’ by using humor. He will get our attention and speak boldly about the effects of bullying in the context of humor.” The use of humor will hopefully get the message across to the students, parents, and other members of our community.

The first step to preventing bullying is recognizing that it’s a growing problem. People may think that bullying doesn’t happen often, but it can easily be overlooked. Certain situations might not look like the stereotypical form of bullying, but they can still definitely be a form of bullying. This convocation will hopefully help people develop a better understanding of what bullying is in order to find help. Houston explains, “We are hoping, through this convocation, that the students will have a better understanding of what bullying means and what to do about it if it happens to them or to a friend.” Hopefully, this will especially help younger kids that don’t have a complete understanding of bullying learn the steps needed to prevent and stop bullying.

The concept of bullying can be different with each age level, so each presentation will be suited to the specific audience. For example, the presentation given to the parents and other adults of the community will have a different approach than the presentation given to high school and elementary students. The presentation for the parents and community members will be on Tuesday, September 11 at 6 p.m. in the High School auditorium. The presentation for the students will take place on Wednesday, September 12.  Each presentation is meant to help the certain audience understand, prevent, and stop acts of bullying.

The main goal with this convocation is to stop bullying, but it’s also to improve the school atmosphere. Ms. Kerri Hanneken, High School Counselor, said, “We are working to change the school climate to one of not only no bullying, but also to one of kindness, acceptance, and inclusion.” School and work can be stressful and difficult, so we need to have a place that everyone feels accepted in. Mrs. Johnson also included that this convocation will be a great way to “give them (the students) the courage to ‘take a stand’ against bullying” and include more kindness in our school.

Anyone looking for more information on the speaker for this convocation can visit his website, www.dontbullyonline.com.

3 Responses to “Making a Change”

1. Jasmine on September 12th, 2018 1:53 pm

I liked how you described that we need to make a change in the school this article was very thought out. I enjoyed reading your article.

2. Brannyn Spencer on September 14th, 2018 8:12 am

I completely agree that there needs to be a change in the bullying that occurs. I like how you explained how the bullying at different age levels are different. This is a daily issue that could easily be eliminated. Great article Katelyn!

3. Lanie Miller on September 14th, 2018 8:17 am

This article was very well put together, and I completely agree with everything that you said! Bullying is a HUGE issue and we all have our problems. I think that instead of people teaming up to hurt others they should be teaming up to help others because we all go through hard times just like the next person. I loved reading this.

*

• Making a Change

Courier Top News Stories

John McCain: An American Hero Laid to Rest

• Making a Change

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Preschool Program

• Making a Change

Courier Top News Stories

First Day Glitch

• Making a Change

STOP!T

• Making a Change

Showcase

Advertiser of the Week

• A&E

Invictus

• Making a Change

Living in the Moment

• Making a Change

Sports

IU Spirit Day

• Making a Change

Sports

Boys Tennis Takes 4th in Hoosier Conference Play

• Making a Change

News

Lanterns For Life

Making a Change