A Slideshow that Left Everyone in Tears

Pictured is Garrett Arion

Pictured is Garrett Arion

Pictured is Garrett Arion

Being a senior meant something to everyone in my senior class whether that be the last football game, softball game, or band concert; however, we all had the one thing we were going to miss the most: each other. For many years, our senior class hasn’t been the closest of friends. We have all found our individual friend groups and never seemed to hang around one another, but this year is different.

As we take on our final days here at Lewis Cass, many of us are filled with either joy or heartbreak, but one thing has changed: we have become a family. Wednesday night our senior class shined for one of the few times we had left. We hosted our first and last Variety Show. The feeling was indescribable. We all were filled with nerves, but we were so excited to see what the night had in store for us.

While hosting the variety show, many laughs were involved. Our Mc’s, who were Kenzie Silcox, Cade Cox, Tanner Bowser, and Josie Woolever, made the crowd laugh tremendously. They would make jokes that our senior class would understand, but maybe not so much the parents. They introduced each act very well and never once did they mess up. However, as the variety show ended, that meant it was time for our senior class to share our memories with the audience. The slideshow was one thing that everyone could participate in even if some people may felt as if they were outcasts. It showed the many different exciting yet hilarious memories we shared throughout the past years at Lewis Cass; however, one part made everyone walk away with a tear falling down his face. A small clip towards the end honored Garrett Scott Arion, a kid who was with us until August 24, 2014, due to a long fight battling cancer. Some of the senior class never got the chance to meet him; however, those kids still were impacted by his strong, fearless attitude he showed everyone. The kids who met him were able to show the kids who did not meet him what type of person he was and always has been.

The slideshow brought the senior class even closer than we were. To see all the good and bad memories portrayed on the big screen left everyone with a bittersweet feeling. To see people that have never been involved in much come out of their comfort zone left everyone with a heart-warming feeling. However, seeing Garrett’s video clip left everyone with a feeling that made us feel as if we were missing a part of us. Garrett influenced many lives and showed everyone that even if life is at its final breaking point, you still should walk away with a smile. He left an everlasting impact that our senior class has carried with us ever since we lost that beautiful, young soul of his.

As the slideshow came to an end, we all walked away with tears streaming down our faces. Our class has finally made it to its last year with each other. Every student in our class has become family. The variety show brought us closer, and we knew that. As everyone realizes that life is soon about to continue, we walk this rough road ahead with a positive outlook. Even though we may not have much time left together, we are about to make the best of every memory we are about to create. And as we sat on stage last night, all together for once, we knew that this was our final variety show at Lewis Cass. We knew that we only had a few more months until everyone ventured out into his own lives. We knew this was one of the last moments we would all ever see each other again. Most importantly, we knew that none of the people at Lewis Cass would ever forget the Class of 2019 nor would they ever forget Garrett Scott Arion.

13 Responses to “A Slideshow that Left Everyone in Tears”

1. Brooklynn Fye on September 16th, 2018 7:27 pm

Great article Ashli! Nobody in the class of 2019 will forget Garret or the bittersweet feeling of being a senior. I know that everything seems to be going by really fast, but it’s still the same school days it used to be. Going into freshman year I remember being so excited to graduate. Now, I want things to slow down a little so I could enjoy the last moments will my class mates. I think everyone in our grade could agree. Keep writing!

2. Clara Licklider on September 17th, 2018 11:15 am

I loved your article Ashli! I am not joking when I say it sent shivers down my spine. I could feel the emotions you spilled in this article: happy, sad, bittersweet. I am excited to graduate; but like you said, I don’t want my moments here at Lewis Cass to end. I cannot wait to read more of your stories!

3. Hannah Plauschin on September 18th, 2018 8:06 am

I love your article! It is so emotional and descriptive. I can’t imagine how it must’ve felt during that slideshow when everyone knew that they will be leaving each other in mere months. You explained the night very well and allowed the reader to definitely connect to what you were saying. Great Job!

4. Josie Woolever on September 19th, 2018 11:27 am

We’re already almost one grading period into the year, and I still don’t quite feel like a senior. This year is already flying by like crazy. The variety show went by in the blink of an eye, I’d do anything to have it back. Great job Ash!

5. Bella Panmei on September 20th, 2018 12:29 pm

I love this article and just how you described your emotions. I don’t like the process of school but I love the people in it and I know I will miss everyone whether we were close or not. Great writing and I’m looking forward for more great articles of yours.

6. Robert Fitch III on September 21st, 2018 12:25 pm

Great story Ashli! I loved how you really put deep thought and emotion in this story. I could really feel the bittersweet moments and the sad emotions. When I read the story I was about to cry.

7. Alex Myers on September 24th, 2018 7:49 am

Amazing article Ashli. I got chills just reading the whole thing. You are absolutely true about the senior class coming together to be a family this year. Even being a senior I know I will miss a lot of people in our class. I never really knew Garrett but I knew how big his heart was as he was a very passionate kid. Great writing Ash.

8. Jacob McDorman on September 25th, 2018 1:30 pm

I got chills from reading this articles its so touching!

9. chase whitworth on September 25th, 2018 1:48 pm

I love this article and just how you described your emotions. I don’t like the process of school but I love the people in it and I know I will miss everyone whether we were close or not.

10. chase whitworth on September 25th, 2018 1:50 pm

I love this article and just how you described your emotions.

11. Veris Gutierrez on September 28th, 2018 1:37 pm

Great article you’re article is awesome it made me cry. Great I love it.

12. kate on October 4th, 2018 11:27 am

Ashli, the article was really good! It really made me realize how lucky our sophomore class is to have amazing seniors to look up to.

13. Heavenlee Tucker on November 12th, 2018 1:30 pm

I love this article ashli! We all want to get away from school and think school is a waste of our time or stupid, but we don’t see that we have family here, just like you said. This is very touching and so sweet!!

*

• A Slideshow that Left Everyone in Tears

It’s all about the drive!

Experiencing My First Concert

Corn Bites?

Aviation

Fall Break With My Go To’s

Finding New Friends During Fall Break

Anticipating Fall Break

Saying Goodbye to High School Volleyball

And Then They Said “I Do”

Changing over time

A Slideshow that Left Everyone in Tears