A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Do you have a certain person besides your parents you look to for advice or as a role model? Well, mine is Coach Marschand. Ever since I can remember playing baseball and hearing about Cass athletics, Coach Marschands’ name always stuck in my head.Going to his baseball camps as a kid were always a huge deal to all of us even though we were many years away from the high school level.

Coach Marschand has done amazing things here at Cass. He has been here now for 35 years and we all hope his era isn’t ending anytime soon. Coach Marschand is a 2016 Indiana High School Baseball Coach Hall of Fame inductee. He has posted a 558-386 record while being at Cass along with 5 sectional titles, 2 regional titles, 1 semi state crowing and was the 2009 state runner ups for class 2A.

Although winning is always a big goal, Marschand said, “My main goal here at Cass is to turn teenagers into men and prepare them for the hardships of life.” Marschand also stated that “ I love seeing my guys play at the next level and excel at life. If they do that, then that is greater than any victory on the field. Even though there are many amazing things on the field, there are also hardships that come with it.  Marschand has experienced some bad things as well and he answered with this, “When one of my former players called me from his death bed and told me he was passing away.” After stating that I realize there are many great things about being a coach beyond just the baseball diamond.

When I asked Coach Marschand what got him into coaching his answer was simple, “Ever since I was in elementary school I wanted to be a baseball coach, I had no clue at what level but I knew I wanted to be a baseball coach. No specific person or thing lead me in this path, simply I just wanted to help people and work with kids to make then better players and people.”

Now after you have read all of that I leave you with this after having Coach Marschand for 3 years, don’t take your high school coaches for granted. Coach Marschand has been one of my biggest mentors to this day and I would not be where I am today in my career without him. The coaches you have will be some of the most caring people you’ll ever meet, so do not take them for granted. One memory that I’ll never forget is when Coach helped me as a freshman prepare all winter for tryouts the upcoming spring.

7 Responses to “A Legacy That Will Last Forever”

1. McKayla Thompson on September 24th, 2018 8:20 pm

Great article Reece! I love all the facts and details. Great quotes used throughout your article! I agree coaches support and push their players to help them in the love run, and they are so caring for their players!

2. Bella Panmei on September 26th, 2018 8:50 am

Wow, I really liked this article and I totally relate to it! My coaches I have will forever be remembered because of what they do for us and for pushing when we don’t want to be pushed. I loved the quotes you used and your own personal memories. Good job!

3. Ashli Key on September 26th, 2018 11:29 am

Great informative article! I love how you went into detail with what Mr. Marschand had to say. It’s quite obvious what an influence and type of coach he is just by coming to the baseball games. The advice at the end was very relatable because there is always that one coach that connects with you more than others. Good job!

4. Cjay74 on September 26th, 2018 1:26 pm

Great article Reece! I love how you talked about you personal experience with Coach Marschand. I never knew he would help offseason to help prepare you for tryouts. I really appreciate that you emphasized that sports are more than about winning. I really can get with this, my XC country coach, Mr. Bonsett, has the same mindset. I feel that this really sets apart the good coaches from the great. Again, great article!

5. Alex Myers on September 28th, 2018 7:58 am

This is a very relatable article Reece. I have the same relationship with Coach Burrous. Way to go into detail about how he has helped you since freshman year. Marschand is more than just a mentor to the baseball team. He is a supporter of every team at every event. He has taught me to take pride in something and make it the greatest just by seeing the baseball field and how he takes care of it.

6. Jack Salyers on October 1st, 2018 12:20 pm

Great article Reece! I enjoyed reading this story and how you described Mr. Marschand has a man and a coach. Keep up the fantastic writing and enjoy your senior season.

7. Bowe Brooks on October 8th, 2018 9:59 am

I really enjoyed reading this article. He really is a great coach and mentor and I think it is awesome that you got a quote from him about what got him into coaching. An overall amazing article learning more about a great coach!

*

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

The Refinery adds Fun to Kokomo!

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Flying Through my Journey

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Pep Club is not Working

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

One Last Go Around

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Big Kings Little Kings: Mentoring the Young

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Velkommen To America

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Showcase

FILL OUT YOUR BRACKET!!!

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Sports

NCAA March Madness

• Poetry and Prose

A phone call for a broken heart

• A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Showcase

Lewis Cass Blood Drive

A Legacy That Will Last Forever