Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Quack! Quack! Quack! Mr. Appleton’s classroom fills with the sound of ducks quacking and children squealing about tiny animals in the room. Little did they know these six little ducks were going to be the lesson of the day. This agriculture class introduces the topics all of our classes cover. From animal science to welding, the seventh graders will get to dip their feet in just about every aspect that makes up our agriculture program. Learning about animals is just one of the many topics they go over every week.

Jenna Mundy, the owner of these six little fluffy ducks, enjoys showing off her SAE (Supervised Agricultural Experience). This is a year long project where the student chooses a topic based off a list of categories. Only one person out of each category can compete for a school. Jenna’s topic from last year leading into this competing year has stayed the same hoping to make it out of the area contest. Jenna has grown to love her flock of ducks that continues to constantly grow and then shrink when she sells the ducklings to local farmers or strangers.

During Jenna’s presentation to teach the seventh graders about the ducks, she asked them many questions. Honestly, I learned from listening to her. She had great information; for example, ducks will go find sharp objects, such as a rock, to help them chew their food. I never would have thought a duck would chew rocks to help it eat. All the nutrients in the food is not just going to waste, the ducks use all the nutrients to lay one egg everyday.

After the presentation was over, everyone held a duck, I asked a few of the kids what they thought of the little ducklings. All the answers were exactly what I was expecting. It was the same as if you show someone a puppy they are going to immediately respond with, “It’s so cute! Can I have one.” To my surprise a girl named Sarah made a comment that stood out to me. She stated, “ I have helped my family raise ducks before and I miss it now that I have played with these little ducks.” If that does not make you sad, well, then I am not sure what will. I wanted to go give her a duckling of her own so she can take care of it.

The seventh grade class will not forget what they did that day during class. Jenna and I will not forget the looks on their faces the moment they saw baby ducklings in the classroom. That presentation could help someone gain a passion they never knew they had. So to the seventh graders reading this, I hope that Jenna Mundy sparked your interest in one day having your own SAE. Even if it is not raising ducks, you all will do great things one day.

4 Responses to “Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students”

1. Caleb Johnson on September 28th, 2018 9:39 am

I really liked this article Brooklynn, you talked a lot about how the seventh graders enjoyed the ducklings. You also talked a lot about Jenna’s SAE project which she hopes to advance this year. I thought that was interesting. Great Article!

2. chase whitworth on September 28th, 2018 12:44 pm

I like how you described how excited they were to see the ducklings.

3. Luke Chambers on September 28th, 2018 1:16 pm

I think that is a good experience for hopefully new agriculture members.

4. Keaton Lewellen on September 28th, 2018 1:26 pm

This was a great story, because you stated clearly that all of the 7th graders get to experience many things in ag class.

*

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

One Last Go Around

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Coach Groff joins the Lewis Cass Basketball Staff!

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

“The Great Christmas Light Fight”

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Happy Earth, Happy Christmas

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

First Time in a Long Time

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Applying to College

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Veteran’s Day

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Red Ribbon Week Pep Session

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Caught up in addictions

• Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Sleepin’ Joe vs Chinaman Braun

Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students