Helping Those in Need

The students standing with the food box they put together.

Community service benefits not only the people directly receiving help from the act but also the people performing the service. Many people in need can be helped by others and given an easier way of living. Volunteers learn great responsibility and appreciate things in life that may seem ordinary to them but can be life-changing for others.  

Many different projects may benefit a community. Whether they’re small or big, the projects can make a significant difference to people that might need help. Anyone has the ability to help, but only some will take the initiative to make a difference. A group of students at Indiana University of Kokomo took action to help those in need and improve the community.

Students in a class at IUK called Environmental Conservation were assigned groups and required to create a project. One of these groups came up with the idea to create a food box that provides free food to people in the community that need it. The food box contains non-perishable foods that are free to anyone who needs them. Not only can people take food if they need to, they can also donate food if they are able or have extra food. This food box provides a great opportunity for people to give back to others and perform selfless acts. “Our group’s hope is that those who aren’t in need of this box will still be apart of it by donating extra items that they do not need,” said Jenna Merritt, a student in the group and 2016 Lewis Cass graduate.  

Also, a food box is a great project because it can be set up in many different places. The students’ food box was set up next to the parking lot of Carver Community Center in Kokomo, IN. The students came up with a plan, built the food box, stocked it with non-perishable foods, and plan to maintain the food box even after they’re no longer being graded for the project. This area was a great place to set up the food box because of the lack of available food pantries or other means of obtaining food. Merritt said, “We chose this food box because we knew that ever since Marsh closed down, this left a lot of people without a good resource to get food that wasn’t terribly expensive or very unhealthy.”

This food box is beneficial in many ways. It can help people in need obtain food that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford. It can also allow people to donate food and help others around them. The students in this group definitely had a great idea that can greatly improve the community. Merritt concluded, “All in all, we believe that this one act of kindness can help to connect people all over Kokomo and possibly beyond.”  

6 Responses to “Helping Those in Need”

1. chase whitworth on September 28th, 2018 12:57 pm

I like how you heard about this and decided to write about it.

2. Juan Ortiz on September 28th, 2018 1:34 pm

This is such a great idea. I love helping others in need,
    i thought it was creative that you had a box that has free food in it.

3. Hugh Gonzalez on September 28th, 2018 1:48 pm

Nice article, I had no idea the Marsh closed down. The people who made the project re wonderful people.

4. Ryne Birnell on October 1st, 2018 8:04 am

Great article Katelyn! I think that the food box idea is very cool, and its great to see that there will be boxes out for people who are in need.

5. Brooklynn Fye on October 1st, 2018 11:25 am

This is so cool to see how past Lewis Cass students are impacting the community. This article is so inspiring to do something positive for the people around me. I love how you explain exactly what this organization is. Great way to tell other people about ways to give back!

6. Annie Daily on October 3rd, 2018 12:15 pm

The food box is such a good idea because some people may be embarrassed to get help, but this relieves them of that worry. I really enjoyed your article!

*

• Helping Those in Need

Red Ribbon Week Pep Session

• Helping Those in Need

Caught up in addictions

• Helping Those in Need

Sleepin’ Joe vs Chinaman Braun

• Helping Those in Need

New Escape Room in Kokomo

• Helping Those in Need

An Unusual Break

• Helping Those in Need

Halloween Traditions: Past and Present

• Helping Those in Need

An Open Letter to My Peers About Abuse

• Helping Those in Need

Lewis Cass Spanish Club

• Helping Those in Need

Lewis Cass Pep Club Revived

• Helping Those in Need

Borns

Helping Those in Need