Mrs. Lohning

Leaving the Job, Keeping the Memories

Mrs. Lohning always greeted students in the office with a smile.

A smile a day goes along way. A smile could make a person feel many things and it could even make one’s mood change from a sad one to a happy one. Smiles bring joy to the whole world. Here at Lewis Cass, our secretary displayed her sparkling smile every single time you see her. Mrs. Lohning has been our secretary for 15 years. Sadly, Friday, September 28th, was her last day working.

Mrs. Lohning is an outstanding secretary at Cass, and I know that McKayla and I will definitely miss her. She is very hardworking, ambitious, and joyful at her job. Her title name is secretary, but she really just does a little bit of everything.

Mrs. Lohning was looking for a new beginning. Mrs. Lohning said, “At the time, I was a stay at home mom for quite awhile. My kids were finally old enough to go to school, so I didn’t need to watch them anymore. My friend had told me about this job opportunity, and I decided to go for the interview. Mr. Isaacs was the principal at the time and he had hired me; funny thing is I had no idea that I had got the job. When I went in, he started talking to me as if I had the job, and I was so confused until I understood finally, I had gotten the job.”

She is going to miss this place with all of her heart. Mrs. Lohning said, “My husband and I have some financial goals that we want to meet for retirement, and this new job will help out with those goals. I will miss Cass so much and especially all of the students. This decision alone was one of the hardest decisions of my life. My best memories here are with the students. I see them come and go. I watch them overcome problems that we had thought would not be possible. Watching them grow up, and blossom into whom they are today was such an honor. I will miss seeing that happen everyday. Not only will I miss the kids but I will also miss all of the staff here. Everyone is so nice and kind. This has been one of the best experiences of my life.”

I can tell that leaving this job has made Mrs. Lohning very emotional. She said, “As much as I helped the students, the students helped me. In fact the students helped me out much more. I’ll miss that, every single one of these kids here at Cass have lifted me up in the hardest of times. Also with seeing the kids it helped me to see things in perspective. I will miss everyone here with my whole heart.”

The teachers and staff, here at Cass, all have wonderful memories with her and appreciate all that she does. Talking to Mrs. Bryan, the guidance counselor, and Mrs. Hines, junior high counselor, they will miss eating lunch with her and miss her friendship. Mrs. Hines told me about how when she first came to get her job at Lewis Cass, the first person she talked to was Mr. Lohning. She said, “Her smiling face and her kindness made her want the job more.” She helped her feel like Cass was a great place to be.

“Mrs. Lohning is such a welcoming person and will greet new faces with a kind smile.” Mrs. Bryan said, “She had such a kind and caring heart for all the students.” She also said she will miss her friendship the most, but Mrs. Lohning being older, she will also miss her wisdom and wise words.

Mr. Engle, an English teacher, has worked at Cass for 39 years. In those 39 years Mr. Engle said, “We have had two office secretaries, one being Mrs. Lohning, and she truly does keep this school running every minute of every day. She did her job with a smile and did it well. I will definitely miss her.”
    Mrs. Lohning did so many different jobs around Cass. Mr. Jones said that she was the “go to.” She made a positive impact in our school by always coming through for teachers and the students,” said Mr. Jones. He also explained how if he needed something for his class or students she knew where to find or even had it at hand.

In conclusion, Mrs. Lohning will be missed by all. She contributed so much to this school and to everyone that goes here. All the students and staff really appreciate all her hard work over these past 15 years. Although we don’t want Mrs. Lohning to leave us, we hope she has a great experience at her next job. A smile a day goes a long way. Mrs. Lohning definitely left her mark on our school and will be missed.

3 Responses to “Mrs. Lohning”

1. Lauren Hileman on October 3rd, 2018 8:27 am

I definitely agree that walking into the office and not seeing her will be a new change. I don’t think a lot of us saw this coming, but I see change as opportunity. This is very well written and I like that you went to many different people to get some various opinions and thoughts. Nicely put!

2. Josie Woolever on October 5th, 2018 11:13 am

It’s going to be so difference without seeing Mrs. Lohning everyday when I go down to the office, but I’m excited for her new opportunities and experiences she has ahead. Great job!

3. Bill Isaacs on October 8th, 2018 3:16 pm

This is a great article and tribute to Mrs. Lohning. You have captured the impact she has had on the school, students, and staff. Her passion for kids and servant’s heart helped many students through difficult circumstances. You have done an amazing job of expressing the sentiments of so many. Good job! Proud of you both.

*

• Mrs. Lohning

Lewis Cass Pep Club Revived

• Mrs. Lohning

Borns

• Mrs. Lohning

Helping Those in Need

• Mrs. Lohning

Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

• Mrs. Lohning

A Legacy That Will Last Forever

• Mrs. Lohning

Revealing Secrets

• Mrs. Lohning

Not 1, Not 2, But 3!

• Mrs. Lohning

Big Kings Little Kings: Mentoring the Young

• Mrs. Lohning

Overcoming Fear

• Mrs. Lohning

Volunteering at Our Father’s Library

Mrs. Lohning