Filed under Student Life

Getting Shot With My Own Fear

As I walked in the room, the tears began to roll down my face. I thought that simply this was the worst day of my entire life. She called my name, and as I walked down the long narrow path, my heart was pounding out of my chest. She said it would only take a second and before I knew it, it was over. I felt relief, but just as I got up to walk away, I had to sit down because I couldn’t see. My head was turning; I was sweating like crazy and turned as white as a dead person. I saw my mom’s concerned face as she grabbed my arm to help me to my seat. I screamed out, “I’m dying, I’m dying.” Even though I had an ice back around my neck, my body was still boiling. All I could think about in this moment was how miserable I was and how I was about to not feel a thing. I wondered how long this process would continue before it was all over. Was I even going to be okay? What happened? I had to get a TB shot.

I am attending Kokomo Area Career Center this year for its dental program; I think through this program I would get great hands-on experiences. We get to pair up and work in groups to learn more about the human teeth. To be able to work on each other, each student must get tested for tuberculosis. This test is two shots exactly two weeks apart. I have never been good with shots, and I get queasy very easily.

My mom took me in for my first shot and told me that afterwards we would go get ice cream. Before the nurse even came to get me, I was in tears. It was not for the fear of it hurting me, but it was the fact of it being injected into my skin and going deep into my veins. I’m getting queasy just at the thought. When we got to the back room, I managed to calm myself down long enough to get the shot. I was perfectly fine, so I thought. I got up to walk out of the room and made it to the lobby before I started having trouble seeing. My body was hot I felt as if I had a heater running inside of me. My mother had to guide me to the van. I sat down and started screaming that I was going to die. I thought this was my last moments of life. I don’t understand why my mom calls me the dramatic princess, but this is one of those moments she had called me by that name. She placed an ice back on my head and turned the air on full blast. She was prepared for this and bless her sweet heart for taking care of me that day. I finally came back to reality and gained the color of my body back. I just remember saying that it was the worst day ever.

After Labor Day weekend I had to get another shot. I told myself I would stay alive for this shot. My mom talked to me the whole time, and it was over before I knew it. The nurse told me to lie down just for a few minutes. I felt completely fine and was ready to go home. I didn’t even try to pass out. I felt like a warrior who had just won a battle.

However, everyone now knows I’m that 16 year old that still cries when getting her shots. Being scared of shots and getting worked up is a mind of matter situation. If I can get my shots and still live, anyone can.

5 Responses to “Getting Shot With My Own Fear”

1. Clara Licklider on October 9th, 2018 12:16 pm

This story literally sent shivers down my spine. I personally don’t have a fear of shots, but I feel like if I experienced it first hand with how much detail you put into it. I couldn’t handle the thought of shots with a fear like this. Way to stay alive and get the second shot done!

2. Bella Panmei on October 9th, 2018 12:21 pm

I absolutely love your humor and this story! Your descriptions were so good and I enjoyed reading this very much. Keep it up kayla!

3. Caleb Johnson on October 10th, 2018 8:02 am

Nice story McKayla! I personally don’t mind shots, so when I hear stories like this they make me laugh. I liked how you described how you thought you were dying after getting the shot. I also thought it was funny how your mom calls you “Dramatic Princess.” Once again, Great Article!

4. Ashli Key on October 11th, 2018 11:17 am

Great article McKayla! I think we can all agree we have that one fear that will haunt us forever. The way you described your article was incredible. I hope you don’t have to get any more shots!

5. Brannyn Spencer on October 11th, 2018 11:31 am

I like how you started out so descriptive explaining your shot. I also have a fear of shots. They are not fun. Luckily she came prepared for after the shot! Great story McKayla!

*

• Student Life

Growing Up

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

And Then They Said “I Do”

• Student Life

High Heels to Toes Up

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Collected Memories From Home

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Cherished Memories

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Changing over time

• Student Life

Saying Goodbye to an Inspirtationalist

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

October 2018 Playlist

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Homecoming Week Video

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Living in the Moment

Getting Shot With My Own Fear