Filed under Student Life

Getting Shot With My Own Fear

As I walked in the room, the tears began to roll down my face. I thought that simply this was the worst day of my entire life. She called my name, and as I walked down the long narrow path, my heart was pounding out of my chest. She said it would only take a second and before I knew it, it was over. I felt relief, but just as I got up to walk away, I had to sit down because I couldn’t see. My head was turning; I was sweating like crazy and turned as white as a dead person. I saw my mom’s concerned face as she grabbed my arm to help me to my seat. I screamed out, “I’m dying, I’m dying.” Even though I had an ice back around my neck, my body was still boiling. All I could think about in this moment was how miserable I was and how I was about to not feel a thing. I wondered how long this process would continue before it was all over. Was I even going to be okay? What happened? I had to get a TB shot.

I am attending Kokomo Area Career Center this year for its dental program; I think through this program I would get great hands-on experiences. We get to pair up and work in groups to learn more about the human teeth. To be able to work on each other, each student must get tested for tuberculosis. This test is two shots exactly two weeks apart. I have never been good with shots, and I get queasy very easily.

My mom took me in for my first shot and told me that afterwards we would go get ice cream. Before the nurse even came to get me, I was in tears. It was not for the fear of it hurting me, but it was the fact of it being injected into my skin and going deep into my veins. I’m getting queasy just at the thought. When we got to the back room, I managed to calm myself down long enough to get the shot. I was perfectly fine, so I thought. I got up to walk out of the room and made it to the lobby before I started having trouble seeing. My body was hot I felt as if I had a heater running inside of me. My mother had to guide me to the van. I sat down and started screaming that I was going to die. I thought this was my last moments of life. I don’t understand why my mom calls me the dramatic princess, but this is one of those moments she had called me by that name. She placed an ice back on my head and turned the air on full blast. She was prepared for this and bless her sweet heart for taking care of me that day. I finally came back to reality and gained the color of my body back. I just remember saying that it was the worst day ever.

After Labor Day weekend I had to get another shot. I told myself I would stay alive for this shot. My mom talked to me the whole time, and it was over before I knew it. The nurse told me to lie down just for a few minutes. I felt completely fine and was ready to go home. I didn’t even try to pass out. I felt like a warrior who had just won a battle.

However, everyone now knows I’m that 16 year old that still cries when getting her shots. Being scared of shots and getting worked up is a mind of matter situation. If I can get my shots and still live, anyone can.

10 Responses to “Getting Shot With My Own Fear”

1. Clara Licklider on October 9th, 2018 12:16 pm

This story literally sent shivers down my spine. I personally don’t have a fear of shots, but I feel like if I experienced it first hand with how much detail you put into it. I couldn’t handle the thought of shots with a fear like this. Way to stay alive and get the second shot done!

2. Bella Panmei on October 9th, 2018 12:21 pm

I absolutely love your humor and this story! Your descriptions were so good and I enjoyed reading this very much. Keep it up kayla!

3. Caleb Johnson on October 10th, 2018 8:02 am

Nice story McKayla! I personally don’t mind shots, so when I hear stories like this they make me laugh. I liked how you described how you thought you were dying after getting the shot. I also thought it was funny how your mom calls you “Dramatic Princess.” Once again, Great Article!

4. Ashli Key on October 11th, 2018 11:17 am

Great article McKayla! I think we can all agree we have that one fear that will haunt us forever. The way you described your article was incredible. I hope you don’t have to get any more shots!

5. Brannyn Spencer on October 11th, 2018 11:31 am

I like how you started out so descriptive explaining your shot. I also have a fear of shots. They are not fun. Luckily she came prepared for after the shot! Great story McKayla!

6. Brooklynn Fye on October 21st, 2018 10:55 pm

Nothing is more nerve racking then sitting in a room waiting for the doctor to come in! I have a fear of needles as well. Everything you explained was spot on to what really happens. I might be 17, but I will still pass out if someone doesn’t tell me to breath when I see a needle.

7. Katelyn Schreckenghaust on October 22nd, 2018 7:58 am

I liked how you described how you felt in great detail and humor. I thought it was funny when you said that you screamed that you were dying after getting the shot, so you were called a dramatic princess. This article was very entertaining. Great job, McKayla!

8. Kelsey Wise on October 22nd, 2018 8:00 am

Really great article. Everyone has their personal fears and I can see why you have a fear of getting a shot because they are really scary but I have never minded them too much. I like in the beginning how you had me guessing exactly what was so spooky and scary to you! Awesome article.

9. Hannah Plauschin on October 23rd, 2018 8:28 am

This is a really great story McKayla! You did a great job explaining how scared and worried you were. Because of this, I got to take a walk in your shoes through your experience. It sounded awful; however, we now know that if you can do it, anyone can. You did a good job with the message at the end, too!

10. Katy Howell on November 13th, 2018 1:41 pm

I can totally relate to this passage. I’m 13 years old and yes, i too still cry when i have to get shots. I think this was an amazing article and I loved how you were willing to share this with others.

*

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

One Last Go Around

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

My Workplace

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Dog Tags

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Christmas Concert

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

SADD Farewell

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

A thousand miles strong

• Student Life

A Busy Version of Thanksgiving

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Experiencing the first “Flawless” event!

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

ICYC With a Plot Twist

• Getting Shot With My Own Fear

Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

Getting Shot With My Own Fear