Filed under Showcase

Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal

Mr.+Bates
Mr. Bates

Mr. Bates

Mr. Bates

Recently, Lewis Cass went through a major change. After our earlier principal, Mr. Bonnell, left the position, Mr. Bates happily became our new principal. I personally had Mr. Bates as my principal through all three of my years at the previous Galveston Elementary. Now, two years later, I have my favorite principal guiding me through life once again in high school. The whole situation is very new and touchy, so I thought I would get on top of it and write a story about the situation. On Wednesday, I asked Mr. Bates a few questions and asked students what their thoughts were and received some helpful and interesting information.

Mr. Bates had been a high school World History teacher for five years before he took on the job of being a principal. He has been a principal for six years. He loves being Principal because he is able to help students, teachers, and parents. However, something he misses about teaching is being able to interact with students on a daily basis. He did emphasize a lot that he really enjoys being around the students and talking to them, but as I said, he can’t do that as much than if he was teaching.

Many challenges come along with being Principal. He said “The most challenging part is not able to be around the students. I also have to deal with more paperwork, phone calls, and the students’ safety. Instead of just one classroom, I have to worry about the whole school.”

On the other hand, I am sure there are many perks and benefits of being principal. He said “My favorite part is being able to see the students at more after school events. I think it is very good for students and teachers to see each other around outside of school.”

I can’t imagine being a principal of a high school. I’m sure many problems and issues need to be dealt with daily, and it can be difficult making decisions that are best for everyone. With all of these responsibilities, I assume that Mr. Bates is very overwhelmingly busy with work. “It can be difficult to balance my personal and working life,” said Mr. Bates. “Making time for myself and family is something I make a point of, or else the job could become consuming.”

I also asked him what he personally liked about the Lewis Cass schools, he responded with something I’m sure we all recognize and are grateful for. “I enjoy that our schools are more of close knit community or family even then other bigger schools,” said Mr. Bates. “There is a lot of support, and we all know each other personally and by name.”

Something that I believe most people are curious about that I asked was what are some changes he would want to make in the school. He said, “Lewis Cass has a lot of good traditions. Because of this I don’t wish to make any changes at the moment. Since this is my first year, I should just sit back, watch and observe.”

After learning more about Mr. Bates’s personal thoughts and details about his new role as Lewis Cass High School’s Principal, I wanted to explore the students’ thoughts about him. I asked twenty random students if they are liking Mr. Bates as their Principal. Fifteen students of the twenty said yes and the other five said no.

Looking back at my research, I think that the majority of the students including myself, think he’s doing a good job and is happy that our old elementary principal has come back and better than ever. I think change is an opportunity into great things. I am excited to see where he leads Lewis Cass High School in the future.

2 Responses to “Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal”

1. Reece Rodabaugh on October 11th, 2018 8:08 am

This is a great article!I I understand what he said when he said he misses interacting with students because whenever I see him he always says Hi! He is an awesome guy and very caring and it shows all the time!

2. Dixon on October 11th, 2018 11:27 am

Mr. Bates is a great guy to have around. He always welcomes everyone in the hallways and interacts with all of the students throughout our school. I’m thrilled he took the job. Great article!

*

• Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal

Lewis Cass Pep Club Revived

Showcase

Advertiser of the Week

Mrs. Lohning

Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

Rafting on the Tippecanoe River

Showcase

Exploring the New Polytechnic Academy

Big Kings Little Kings: Mentoring the Young

Courier Top News Stories

Making a Change

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Courier Top News Stories

First Day Glitch

Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal