Saying Goodbye to High School Volleyball

Lewis Cass, thank you for four years of pure happiness throughout my volleyball career.

Thursday night was the last time I would ever lace up my ankle braces. Thursday night was the last night I would put my knee pads on for a game. Thursday night was the last time I would step onto the court with my volleyball family. And as I walked away from the court, I felt empty. Walking off the court was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

The team was ready to go. We were ready to play the hardest we have ever played. We were ready to leave everything out there; however, we fell short. We played North Manchester which was a team that was similar to us in the way that they played, but they pulled away at the last minute and won. As we reached the third set, going in with 2 losses, we knew that this was it or our season would come to an end. And, as hard as it is for me to say, it ended. The feeling I felt as I watched North Manchester score the last point is indescribable. It left me speechless. It left me in tears. It left me with an emptiness that nothing could fix. However, it left me with the memories that I would cherish forever.

Walking away from a lifelong sport was not the easiest thing to do, but I knew it was coming to an end sooner or later. I knew that bigger and better things lie ahead in my future, but I was leaving a big part of high school behind. Volleyball was more than a sport to me: it was a passion. It gave me the freedom to forget everything going on in my life and play the game I loved. It gave me the opportunity to meet new friends that soon turned into family. It gave me a coach that pushed me to be the best I could be even when it seemed as if he were just yelling at me nonstop. Most of all, it gave me some memories that no one could ever replace.

As I walked away from the court, I was a mess; however, I had all my best friends surrounding me with their unconditional love. Thursday night was the end to a chapter of my high school career; however, it was the beginning of letting high school go. Yes, I know I can play intramural volleyball in college, but it will never compare to my volleyball career at Lewis Cass. These past four years have been nothing but incredible. And, I owe it to all the girls on my volleyball team in the past; however, I owe it mainly to the girls who made my senior year the one that would last a lifetime.

To my teammates, I want to say thank you for everything. Thank you for always giving me advice when I mess up. Thank you for all the crazy bus rides. Thank you for the stupid practices where all of us would be so goofy that coach couldn’t handle us. Most of all, thank you for leaving an everlasting impact on me. You girls have become and always will be my second family. Next year, it will be so different for me when I have to watch you guys play from the stands, but don’t worry, it will be okay. However, I want you guys to know that your years at Lewis Cass will fly by within a blink of an eye so don’t take your time for granted. Cherish the long, tiring practices that you don’t want to attend. Cherish the games that you may have lost, but it didn’t feel like it. Cherish lacing up your ankle braces. Cherish putting your sweaty knee pads on before a game. Cherish lacing up your shoes before you trip and fall over them during a game. But, most of all, cherish the time you get to spend with your volleyball family because the day you have to say goodbye won’t be easy.

14 Responses to “Saying Goodbye to High School Volleyball”

1. Bella Panmei on October 21st, 2018 4:55 pm

I thought that your story was very moving. It was very touching and the way you described what this sport was for you and how much your teammates mean to you was so heartfelt. Reading how much the sport meant to you and how you’re going to miss it so much made me realize that time really does fly and every moment in high school counts. Great article Ashli!

2. Brooklynn Fye on October 21st, 2018 10:52 pm

Ashli, you did amazing on this article! Being a senior I understand this feeling of playing a final match. Knowing you will never play that sport as a King again… it is a heart crushing feeling. Just think life has more in store for you than high school does.

3. Cjay74 on October 22nd, 2018 7:35 am

Ashli, I really enjoyed your article. I saw what you described with Roland during cross country. It was extremely hard to watch. I know you made memories at Cass you will never forget. Great article!

4. Kelsey Wise on October 22nd, 2018 7:55 am

Great story Ashli. Your writing is really well and I really love how relatable your article can be to all of the seniors playing out their last year of sports. I really like how you gave your advice to those upcoming seniors on the team and how supportive you are towards your volleyball family and I am happy to hear that you had an amazing four years of highschool volleyball!

5. Brannyn Spencer on October 22nd, 2018 7:56 am

This is a great article Ashli. I love how you explained each part that contributed to your high school volleyball career. This will definitely be the sport I miss most also. This is also where my heart was. I will miss being on the court with you, but as you said, this is the beginning of letting go of high school. You have a bright future ahead!

6. Reece Rodabaugh on October 22nd, 2018 8:16 am

Great article Ashli! I really liked how you explained your season and your career here at Lewis Cass. Im also really glad you’ve had such a great time here. I can relate to this because When football is over I will probably cry with my brothers on the field.

7. Robert Fitch III on October 22nd, 2018 11:14 am

Great article Ashli! This article was very touching i could feel a lot of emotions from you and you point of view from the team. I wish you the best of luck out there in the world and I am only a freshman, and i don’t understand the feeling of playing a highschool sport and i don’t want to feel the last ethier.

8. Alex Myers on October 22nd, 2018 9:13 pm

Great article Ashli. I really liked how you described your experience with volleyball and how much you loved playing it. While I can’t relate to this yet, I know I will eventually when the football season ends. I am glad you enjoyed playing volleyball and I hope you find another sport to enjoy as much as you did volleyball.

9. Lauren Hileman on October 22nd, 2018 11:05 pm

This is a really well put article. I have been thinking about college and leaving Cass more than ever. Being involved in something you love and leaving for whatever reason is a very difficult task. I totally feel you and I hope that you remember those memories for a very long time

10. Josie Woolever on October 29th, 2018 10:41 am

Great article Ash! I can totally relate to this through cross country. It doesn’t feel like we’re seniors nor should we be finishing our high school sports for good.

11. Carsyn Gilbert on October 31st, 2018 1:24 pm

Great article Ashli!

12. Heavenlee Tucker on October 31st, 2018 1:26 pm

Ashli, this is an amazing article. It really touches volleyball players and gets them thinking of how fast things you love end so quickly. This is very true. You couldn’t have said it any better. This is a very relatable article because I know me and my teammates are goofy and sometimes we hate going to practice or having to do what we think is stupid drills that doesn’t matter. It can relate to this since I am a volleyball player. I like how you love playing volleyball and that it isn’t a sport that is a passion.

13. Mr. Isaacs on October 31st, 2018 3:30 pm

Great job on this article and capturing the emotion of the final journey in your senior season. You nave made many memories you will cherish throughout life. Proud of you!

14. Noah Preston on November 12th, 2018 1:39 pm

This was a good article. You described your volleyball experience.

*

• Saying Goodbye to High School Volleyball

It’s all about the drive!

Experiencing My First Concert

Corn Bites?

Aviation

Fall Break With My Go To’s

Finding New Friends During Fall Break

Anticipating Fall Break

And Then They Said “I Do”

Changing over time

Rafting on the Tippecanoe River