Filed under Opinion

Mind Your Manners

My mellophone section 2018
(Left to right) Riley Keppel, Natascha Haseltine, Devin Rector, and myself

My mellophone section 2018 (Left to right) Riley Keppel, Natascha Haseltine, Devin Rector, and myself

While developing as an adult and getting closer to graduating from high school, I have noticed that I am involved in so many different clubs, sports, and outside of school commitments. Through my school career I have been in marching band, concert band, cheerleading, tennis, drama, softball, golf, swim managing, pep band, National Honors Society, and hopefully more in the future. Some people don’t realize that everyone is different. Not everyone has to be an athlete or a musician, a concept some people seem to understand, but judging people off of activities they enjoy and dedicate themselves to is not okay. You may think that this is just a kid thing or just happens in high schools, but, newsflash, I watch adults do this too. Those adults that judge others like they did in high school may not have matured out of their childish mindset. How are children of this generation supposed to grow up and raise their own children with good morals if the people raising them don’t plant the seed of good morals and character in the first place? I have been through situations like this before where adults in charge of the activities I was in acted like children.

I do not classify as one thing like an athlete or bookworm. Do I enjoy the sports I am participating in? Absolutely. Do I enjoy making music with my closest friends every day? That’s not even a question worth asking, of course I do. Junior high and freshman year are for exploring the new world you are put in for the next four years and figuring out what you excel in. Some of us are a bit preoccupied with the thoughts that just because you aren’t good at something like someone else or that you are regretting you quit or didn’t join the activity doesn’t mean you can bash someone else’s fun and joy in the thing enjoy.

The activity I hear the most bashing on is band. Some comments I have heard are as follows: “Band is so stupid. I am so glad I quit before I had to deal with wasting my weekends one more time.” “I hate Mr. Muth so much. I don’t even think he cares about us. All he wants is a state championship again to make him look good.” Thank you for your opinions. You are wasting your breath on things that won’t change my opinions on band and the staff that are paid to be there and have been in band longer than you have been alive. This may be me, but that seems more than qualified unless you want to challenge Mr. Muth to a playing competition. I hear those thoughts on band all the time, but just non-band kids. I hear band kids I march and play with complain and bellyache about the “crap” we have to go through. There is a reason you joined band. It really puts people down when you spread the negativity through their minds about something they were looking forward to that day and every day.

How hard is it to just support others? You don’t have to be in a group or sport to say something nice to someone. Every week Mr. Engle asks Katelyn Schreckenghaust, Alex Myers, and myself about the past weekend’s competition and where we are going to be the next weekend. Tim Piercy, a custodian, also finds me in the hall every once in a while asking about how I thought it went and the point spread was. I really appreciate that in the mornings because it lets me know that someone cares about us. Do those two really care? Most likely, but they made me feel supported. Is it really that hard?

From the first day of school, everyone finds out that people are diverse and that’s totally okay. Not everyone is going to come perfectly parallel to the next. Support others even if you don’t know them personally. You will never know how much that person could use the support.

2 Responses to “Mind Your Manners”

1. Levi Dyer on October 23rd, 2018 9:03 am

I understand where you’re coning from. Yes, people need to learn to stop complaining when they get what they ask for. The only reason that I can see where Mr. Muth gets mad is when he sees that the band kids aren’t living up to their potential. You pointed out something that needed to be addressed. I frequently hear complaints about band and also hear people talking about quitting. From the number of times that I’ve heard someone say that they were going to quit the band would be empty. I think that the band kids that complain need to just suck it up and deal with it. If you aren’t going to actually quit then stop whining.

2. Hannah Plauschin on October 23rd, 2018 10:40 am

This is a really good article. You did a very good job explaining all your points of your argument and clearly stating what your thoughts are too. I agree that people can sometimes judge others because of stereotypical expectations, and I believe that children and adults do this. Good job!

*

• Mind Your Manners

Opinion

It’s not even Thanksgiving yet!

• Mind Your Manners

Courier Top Opinion Article

Are Children Receiving Too Many Awards?

• Mind Your Manners

Courier Top Opinion Article

Screens and Thumbs

• Mind Your Manners

Opinion

Why Baseball should be America’s Sport.

• Mind Your Manners

Courier Top Opinion Article

Seeing Suicide From a Different Standpoint

• Mind Your Manners

Opinion

It’s That Time of Year

• Mind Your Manners

Opinion

Kaepernick goes viral

• Mind Your Manners

Opinion

Love Story

• Mind Your Manners

Opinion

Growing Up

• Opinion

My Cup of Tee

Mind Your Manners