Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

My whole life I have planned on going into the medical field in college. Up until last year, I was dead set on becoming a nurse. Something made me realize that maybe that wasn’t what I wanted to do the rest of my life. I began looking and trying to decide what I wanted to go into. Out of everything I have researched, I have found aviation the most intriguing.


Last week on fall break, my parents and I took a trip to Florida. Instead of the usual driving down, we flew. Going down, we had two flights, one from Chicago to Atlanta and one from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. This was my first time ever flying. As we boarded the first flight, my mom told one of the workers how I had considered being a pilot. The worker told the pilot and I was able to go up into the cockpit. It amazed me how many buttons and knobs there were across the dash and on the ceiling. I immediately began wondering how in the world I would ever memorize the hundreds of buttons, knobs, levers, switches, etc,. As it was later at night when we boarded the plane, I was not in the mood to ask a bunch of questions so some things I cared to know went unanswered.


Adding to all of the memorization, family time has also been a worry when thinking about aviation. When I get older, I will obviously want to have my own family and want to spend as much time with them as possible. My mother always reminds me to do what I think I will love and worry about that when the time comes. I still cannot get past the fact that I would be gone for 3-4 days and then home the rest of the week. I have always seen myself in an occupation where I go to work in the morning, get off  mid-afternoon, and then have the evening to spend time with my family. I feel like being gone multiple days in a row will be hard for me to handle.


The day finally came when we would take the final flight home. While on the trip, all I could think about was this moment. The feeling in my stomach as the plane would take off was something irreplaceable. After getting on the plane, we sat for nearly an hour as we had to wait for passengers to arrive from another plane coming from Aruba. To pass time while waiting, my mother again tried to get me to go talk to the pilots. If you know me at all, you know I can be very shy when it comes to talking to new people. She flagged down a flight attendant and told him that I would like to go into the cockpit. I went up to the very front and began talking to the pilots. Since I did not ask my biggest question before, I did this time. I asked the pilots how they made their lives work with only being home half of the time. The two men explained that it was not that bad considering their schedules. They did say at first it was a huge adjustment, but having the rest of the week off was a reward.


I still think this career path is something that I would like to research and investigate. Hopefully I can overcome this issue and do what I want.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email