Filed under Showcase

Marching Kings Prepare for State

Picture+of+the+band+captured+by+Hoosier+Marching+
Picture of the band captured by Hoosier Marching

This past Saturday, the Marching Kings performed at ISSMA semi-state competition. Twenty bands performed in our class that day, and ten of those bands advanced to state competition. Our band faced a lot of tough competition with other good bands because every band this year has pushed themselves to greatly improve their shows each week. After a great performance, our band is happy to say that we will be going to state for the 37th consecutive year. On Saturday, November 3rd, the band will travel to Lucas Oil Stadium for ISSMA State Finals. We’ll meet at the school early in the morning, so we can eat breakfast, have a quick practice, and dress in uniforms before we load up to head to the stadium. All of our long practices and early mornings lead up to this day.  

The show for this marching season is titled The Color of Sound. During the performance, every color of the spectrum is explored and displayed. These colors are related to the mood and music played at the time. For example, red is associated with anguish, and yellow is associated with joy. With the spectrum of colors, the difference is shown between a “melancholy tune” and a “peaceful melody” with the brass and woodwinds. Our show has really come together to create something amazing. This year the band has tried many new things to make our show interesting and stand out. Savannah Sturdivant, a junior in band, says, “I think the show is revolutionary to the high school band programs across the state.” I believe that many people this year have learned to commit and perform more than they have in the past.

The band members have been working extremely hard this year. We even had some new marchers join us from the junior high band, and they’ve done a great job catching up and learning very quickly. I believe that our band members have pushed themselves far this year, and I know we’ll keep pushing to the end of the season. We’ve also had many people step up and become great leaders for their sections and other members. I’m a junior in the band this year, and I’m happy to see older members trying to help others and encourage them.

Not only have the band members worked very hard, the band is also filled with a lot of talent. We have many great musicians and marchers, and I can’t wait to see how our final performance comes together. When asked how well she thinks we’ve prepared for state, Sturdivant said, “I think we have prepared pretty well for state because we have performed at Lucas Oil Stadium already this year, so it isn’t like we haven’t been there before.” I know that if everyone pushes and works hard the rest of this week, then we can have our best performance yet this season.  

4 Responses to “Marching Kings Prepare for State”

1. Robert Fitch III on November 6th, 2018 10:42 am

Great story! I love how you explained how they were preparing for the state show and how its our 37th straight year making the state competition. I really love how descriptive it was and keep up the great writing.

2. Lauren Hileman on November 9th, 2018 7:53 am

Great article. I thought that the performance on State day could have been better, but for the most part it was good. The description of the colors and how they connect to the show was good and could really help someone get a summary of the show in whole. Good job

3. Nevaeh Gordon on November 12th, 2018 1:32 pm

Good article. I thought the performance we had couldn’t have been better. The hard work that we put into this season really paid off at State.

4. Andreauna Walker on November 13th, 2018 1:28 pm

I loved your article because you explained everything that was important to you. I also loved how you explained that is was our 37th year. I am also proud of all of the marching band members.

*

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Features

Veteran’s Day

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Red Ribbon Week Pep Session

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Showcase

Advertiser of the Week

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Saying Goodbye to High School Volleyball

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Lewis Cass Pep Club Revived

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Mrs. Lohning

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Duck SAE Project Fascinates Students

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Rafting on the Tippecanoe River

• Marching Kings Prepare for State

Showcase

Exploring the New Polytechnic Academy

Marching Kings Prepare for State