Five More Minutes

The senior football players

The senior football players

The senior football players

As the fourth quarter started to dwindle down to the final minute, I realized how long I had left as a Lewis Cass King football player. The game came to an end and I was officially done playing football. I looked around and everything seemed to be in slow motion for a brief moment. I saw Trevor Kessler starting to cry and Cade Cox had a look of disbelief on his face. I saw my brothers on the field hit their knees as the Eastbrook Panthers took a knee to end the game.

After the teams shook hands I was greeted by my teammates as Coach Phillips had to talk to us. He made the seniors line up and all of the underclassmen shook our hands and gave us hugs. The line went through and I couldn’t believe those were all my teammates and they get another year or more of high school football. It seemed all too real to be on the other side of the handshake. A year ago I shook the hands of the seniors on that same football field, two years ago I shook the hands of the seniors on Winnimac’s field, and three years ago I shook the hands of the seniors on Owens Memorial Field. I never thought I would be the one crying because my season was over.

I wasn’t crying because my season was over. I cried because I would never go out underneath the Friday night lights with my brothers. For ten years I have played football with the same group of kids. In third grade there were two teams we played for. The 49ers and the Bears were the greatest rivalry we ever knew. Neither of us sat with each other at lunch at school because that is what we knew. Then came along junior high and we all came to be on one team. Some kids in my grade quit playing and some started playing that year. Some kids quit to go spend harvest in the fields with their family, and some joined to be apart of a team. We had kids like Levi Dyer join. His nickname was “Greased Lightning” because of how fast he could run. Eventually he felt like football wasn’t the sport for him so he quit. We had some of the bigger kids in the grade be on the offensive and defensive line such as Wyatt Helms, Omar Arellano, and Kobe Hicks. They all did not play high school football except Kobe joined this year to play. For the majority of those ten years it was the same group of kids, Reece Rodabaugh, Bowe Brooks, Jake Martin, Joe Shaffer, Bryce Reish, Cade Cox, and I. Trevor Kessler joined in high school when he transferred to Lewis Cass. Antonio Flores and Blake Krpan also joined the team this year when they transferred from Northwestern and Logan respectively. 

As I look back at the past ten years, I can’t thank my brothers enough for playing football with me. While there were times some of us didn’t like the other, we all played for the same team and we were there for each other. I am definitely proud to have shed blood, sweat, and tears with these boys over the last few years.

5 Responses to “Five More Minutes”

1. Brannyn Spencer on November 7th, 2018 11:31 am

I really liked how well you explained the ending of your season. The emotions explained after the Eastbrook game ended were very impactful. I feel like I was there apart of it. I personally can relate since volleyball has ended and so has cheering for football games. This is just the next step of life. Great job Alex.

2. Bowe Brooks on November 8th, 2018 9:06 am

I really enjoyed reading your article. You explained the emotions we all felt on the field very well. It was a very sad way to end the season and our high school football careers. Great article Alex.

3. Reece Rodabaugh on November 9th, 2018 11:21 am

Awesome article, the way you explained the emotions when time was winding down in the fourth quarter gave me chills. I agree it was very tough to deal with but It is apart of life. I think you did an awesome job Alex!

4. Felix Palafox Jr on November 12th, 2018 1:33 pm

This was a awesome article to read. I like how you described the scene when the clock was winding down, because the image was clear. I also liked how you included your past experiences shaking hands with the seniors, because it showed how fast the time flies.

5. Enoch Hines on November 12th, 2018 1:35 pm

Great Article, l like how you went in depth about the final minutes of your last game. I also enjoyed your article because you shared what it was like going from 3rd grade all the way up to senior year. I like how you explained what players joined and quit every year.

*

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings Keep It Going With Relentless Ground Game

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

A Look at the Football Team’s Sectionals Draw

• Courier Top Sports Article

Boys Tennis Sectional Draw

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

A game that will never be forgotten

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Fantasy Football is Upon us!

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Upcoming Wrestling Season

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Why do students participate in sports?

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings Football Preview for 2018 Season

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Lewis Cass Men’s XC Preview

• Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Boys tennis ready for the Berries!

Five More Minutes