Veteran’s Day

Veteran’s Day

To many people, Veteran’s Day is just another holiday that they don’t view as a special day, but I feel as if that shouldn’t be the case. I feel as if we should do as much as possible for our veterans, not just on November 11th but everyday instead. These veteran’s have risked their lives for us, and we don’t do anything in return for them.

Lewis Cass Elementary held its annual Veteran’s Day Program last Friday in the high school auditorium to honor those veterans. A total of 94 veterans showed up to the program. Before the program started, the veterans and their spouses were offered refreshments in the cafeteria. Due to there being so many veterans, the spouses were seated separately in the back of the auditorium while the veterans sat front and center.

To start off the program, the students walked their veterans into the auditorium while several songs were played: “Wind Beneath My Wings,” “Hero,” “America, We Give Our Thanks to You,” “Battle Hymn of the Republican.” Once the veterans were taken to their seats, the presentation of the colors was led by scouts Drew Rector and Kaleb Knapp. This then led into the Pledge of Allegiance followed by the “Star Spangled Banner” led by Rylan Preston, Capresse Jones, and Allyson Berry. The program was started with a sing-along to “You’re a Grand Old Flag” while the Preschoolers entered waving flags.

The program continued to the 5th graders performing two songs lead by Mrs. Abby Guy, the elementary music teacher. The first song they sang was called “Fifty States,” which helped refresh my memory on all the states and their capitals. They then went into a tribute of the five branches of military service by singing the branch songs. When they sang, they asked the veterans to stand for their branches song. This particular part of the program tugged on my heart strings a little bit seeing all the amazing men and women who have served for our country being honored. Following this Mr. Ole Boe, who was a former Thompson custodian, shared a little bit of his own military story, and he also performed “Ragged Ole Flag.” Mr. Boe had served for 11 months and was enlisted in the Army in 1968 when he was sent over to the Vietnam War. To start ending things, a few video clips were played to honor our troops and “Taps” was then played in honor of all of our fallen soldiers. Then to finish the program off everyone sang along to “God Bless America.”

After the program I caught up with a couple of the 5th graders who performed when I asked about their thoughts on the program.

“I loved how we got to honor all of the veterans,” said Kennedy McLaughlin.

“I think it was really good and that everyone did awesome,” said Madison Schreckenghaust.

“I thought it was really good,” said Christian Fiscel.

“I thought it was really awesome to do this for the veterans and welcome them home,” said Bianca Panmei.

This program brought several memories back for me when I attended All Saints Elementary in Logansport, and all the things we did for Veteran’s Day.

9 Responses to “Veteran’s Day”

1. Savannah Bowser on November 12th, 2018 1:32 pm

Josie I love this article so much! I remember doing Veteran’s Day programs, they were so much fun. Keep on writing!

2. Kyle Cohee on November 12th, 2018 1:33 pm

I think you did great on explaining why we should give thanks to veterans every day rather then just on the day given to them. I have an uncle who is a veteran and its great knowing you have someone to fight for us. I loved doing the program when I was younger so its great to see the other kids enjoy it too.

3. Robert Fitch III on November 14th, 2018 12:14 pm

Great article Josie! I love how you did a really good job on getting quotes from the 5th graders. I love how you said it brought so many memories for you when you were in elementary school.

4. Brannyn Spencer on November 15th, 2018 12:31 pm

Great article Josie! I also liked how you explained the importance of thanking out veterans. It should be something that happens more often. I really like how they start thanking veterans at a young age. It teaches children to be thankful for the ones who have fought for our country whether they completely understand it at their age or not.

5. Dixon on November 27th, 2018 9:08 am

Veteran’s Day is a great time to remember how great our country is. I like how you explained how the 5th graders sung during the program. Don’t forget to thank a veteran even if it’s not Veteran’s Day. Great article!

6. Breyton Hensley on November 29th, 2018 1:23 pm

I thought this was a good thing for all the elementary celebrate veteran’s day.

7. Nevaeh Gordon on November 29th, 2018 1:30 pm

Josie this was a very god article! I remember doing those programs they were so much fun.

8. Lauren Hileman on December 2nd, 2018 2:12 pm

Great article Josie! Now that my sister and I are both in the high school, I don’t hear about any of the programs at the elementary. I like all the details you used because I could clearly get an idea about the event and what all happened. Nice job

9. Lanie Miller on December 12th, 2018 4:03 pm

This is a great article Jos, and very true! This was very informative and also made me very happy at the same time. I love seeing the community come together like this!

*

• Veteran’s Day

One Last Go Around

• Veteran’s Day

Coach Groff joins the Lewis Cass Basketball Staff!

• Veteran’s Day

“The Great Christmas Light Fight”

• Veteran’s Day

Happy Earth, Happy Christmas

• Veteran’s Day

First Time in a Long Time

• Veteran’s Day

Applying to College

• Veteran’s Day

Red Ribbon Week Pep Session

• Veteran’s Day

Caught up in addictions

• Veteran’s Day

Sleepin’ Joe vs Chinaman Braun

• Veteran’s Day

New Escape Room in Kokomo

Veteran’s Day