Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

The following content may offend some readers, may resurface some painful memories, or may be hard to read.

Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

Drunk Drivers… Everyone has his own opinion on this topic, but I think we can all agree that driving drunk is the most idiotic thing anyone could do. Everyday 29 people in the US die in car accidents involving a driver under the influence. That’s 29 people a day that will never get to tell they’re friends and family that they love them again. That’s 29 people a day that will never get to see their animals at home again. That’s 29 people a day that didn’t get to fulfill their life goals and dreams and aspirations. That’s 29 people a day that didn’t get to say goodbye. We hear about these tragedies on the news and social media all the time, but we never think it could happen to us or our community until it does.

Many of us have hatred for the man behind the wheel that night, but instead of hating him maybe we should feel sorry for him. This doesn’t mean we have to think what he did was right, but rather we should feel sorry for the fact he wasn’t able to learn from his first incident similar to this one. This man has not only caused the death of two local high school students, but about four years ago caused the death of a third innocent person because of his careless decision to get by the wheel under the influence. I know I also feel terrible for the man’s family. I mean, could you imagine having to go everyday knowing that your own family did that much harm to a small community? They have to live with the fact that they knew and loved the man who just killed two innocent, caring, loving teenagers and put three others in serious critical conditions. Many believe this man is unforgivable for getting behind that wheel, and we can hate him as much as we want, but he also is a human being with a family similar to you and me. I’ll never be able to forgive him for what he’s done to my community, but I know I can pray that he gets what he deserves.

No one should grab their keys and get in their car and get behind the wheel. If you’re able to find your keys and put them in the ignition, then you should be able to find your phone and call up someone to have him pick you up. What this man did will never be okay, and thanks to his careless decisions, we all have to live with the awful impact he left on our community.

23 Responses to “Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause”

1. Clara Licklider on November 20th, 2018 1:53 pm

This article gave me chills. I think all of our sadness has turned into some sort of frustration and anger towards this man who has taken our friends lives. I like your article because it has deep emotions that aren’t just of one kind. In your article there is sadness, remorse, and frustration. I for one am mad at this man who has taken Haley and Auden’s lives. They where definitely too young to leave this world. You are also right too, if you can pick up the keys in your car then you can pick up your phone and call someone. People need to think about these things if they are under the influence because they may just end up taking someone’s life, and in consequence ruining a families, friends, or communities.

2. Reece Rodabaugh on November 25th, 2018 9:32 pm

This article hit home Josie. This accident could’ve been easily prevented if he would have been locked up the first time he did this. As we all grieve through this together this article should be seen by every senior. I liked how well you explained everything and how you said maybe we should be sorry and not angry.

3. Kelsey Wise on November 26th, 2018 8:08 am

I believe that we should be less angry and that if he was able to pick up his keys and put them into his ignition that he could have just as easily called someone to pick him up. The timing was horrible on his part; however, it was innocently horrible on the five teenagers part as well. We are all lucky to have such a caring community and your article shows your personal emotions and it was really well written Josie.

4. Cjay74 on November 26th, 2018 8:25 am

Josie, this is an important article. It is a true tragedy what happened. I think that drunk drivers should be punished for what they do, more than just a night in lockup. I also agree if you can find your keys you can find your phone.

5. Ashli Key on November 26th, 2018 11:16 am

This article made me have that empty feeling in my stomach. What that guy did will never be unforgivable, as he took our friends away, but I do like how you said we should pray that he finally gets what he deserves. Everyone says it is so preventable but for some reason, people still choose to do so. The biggest thing I took from this is that this community will never be the same, but we are a family.. and that is what matters. We all will get through this, but I loved your article in explaining the risk.

6. Brannyn Spencer on November 26th, 2018 11:27 am

This is a great article Josie. I like how you explained a different perspective of the situation. Explaining that he is just the same as our families, impacted me. I have only thought about the worst and not looking from a different point of view. He definitely should have learned the first time after drunkenly killing someone before. I could only hope that after this tragedy he never makes the same action again.

7. Caleb Johnson on November 29th, 2018 7:52 am

I really enjoyed reading about how you explained what you felt towards the driver that night. I believe that what he did was wrong, but I also know he has a family too. It’s horrible what he did, and I feel sorry for him that he didn’t learn a lesson the first time. Now, we have to deal with his mistakes. Nice Article Josie

8. Alex Myers on November 29th, 2018 8:01 am

Josie this was a great article and it gave me chills reading it. This was very well written with a great message inside of it. You’re right, we can’t hate this man for the rest of our life or it will eat us alive. We just have to feel sorry and hope he gets what he deserves.

9. Hannah Plauschin on November 29th, 2018 8:08 am

I really enjoyed reading this article. I love how it explains all the effects of not only the victims, but also the driver. I agree he is also a human and deserves just as much as anyone else. However, it does not change the fact that he he’s took and injured lives. Great article, Josie! It spoke a lot of truth.

10. grace on November 29th, 2018 1:19 pm

This article was eye-opening for some people who hate drunk drivers and others who have no opinion.

11. Katy Howell on November 29th, 2018 1:21 pm

I think that this article spoke a lot of truth. What the man did was wrong and he needs to get what he deserves, but we can’t hate him for the rest of our lives. I loved how you expressed your emotions in this article. Overall, this was an article worth reading.

12. Jayla Thomas on November 29th, 2018 1:21 pm

There have been lots of news on different people that have been hurt by drivers under the influence ,but having enough strength to write about this on a personal level is amazing. Not many people are able to write about these things but I’m glad that you shared this. This was a great story and you did an amazing job writing about it!

13. Chris Rowan on November 29th, 2018 1:22 pm

what happened was a true tragedy. I think that drunk drivers should be punished for what they do, more than just a night in lockup. I also agree with that if you can find your keys you can find your phone.

14. Noah Preston on November 29th, 2018 1:24 pm

This article was very touching. It gave me chills thinking about what has happened. This was a good article Josie.

15. Heavenlee Tucker on November 29th, 2018 1:25 pm

Josie this is a very good article! I think we are soon to judge people more than we should think about what they are going through. I enjoyed how you explained everything very well and not just the victims but the driver and the drivers family.

16. Katelynn foust on November 29th, 2018 1:25 pm

That is a great article.

17. Kyle Cohee on November 29th, 2018 1:27 pm

I enjoyed reading it as well as thinking while I read it. It shouldn’t have happened but it did. We may not want to forgive him, but we should or we wont be able to forget.

18. Ashlin Collins on November 29th, 2018 1:29 pm

Great article Josie. I completely agree.

19. Felix Palafox Jr on November 29th, 2018 1:29 pm

This is an amazing article! You could not have put things any better. I think everyone should be able to agree with what you said. There is nothing that will replace a lost life.

20. Andreauna Walker on November 29th, 2018 1:33 pm

I enjoyed your article. I agree that the drunk driver does feel some sort of emotion towards this knowing that he has put so may people through this situation, not only once, but twice now. You explained both perspectives of this incident very well. I loved reading your article.

21. Dixon on November 30th, 2018 11:42 am

This article definitely shows the risks of drinking and driving and making just one mistake. As you said, it’s never needed and if you ever need a ride, call someone. It’s never worth it putting others lives at risk for one mistake. Great article!

22. Kenzie McLeland on January 14th, 2019 2:15 pm

I think this article was great we shouldn’t be mad or angry we should be sad but hope he gets what he deserves in the end. This could’ve been prevented if he would have gone to jail the first time he did this terrible tragedy.

23. Lauran Walker on February 8th, 2019 12:51 pm

This is a great article! I completely agree with you.

• Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

Winter Driving Reflection

• Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

To My Future Roommate

• Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

Losing a cherished pastime

• Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

The horror of family functions!

• Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause