NCAA: Duke No Longer Undefeated; New Rankings in Top 25

The next Lebron

The next Lebron

As the 2018 NCAA basketball season starts up, many fans and ESPN analysts have chosen their top teams and players in the nation that will potentially play in the NBA next season.

Duke has brought many ESPN analysts including Stephen A. Smith into the talk that Duke could potentially win the National Championship this season. Smith said, “Zion Williamson is special. This kid isn’t even the best player on Duke. RJ Barrett is the truth. He is a faster more athletic version of Jalen Rose when he was on the Fab Five.” Smith definitely feels that Duke could finish the year out without losing another game.

The Blue Devils traveled to Hawaii to play in the Maui Invitational last week to first play a talented San Diego State basketball team coached by Brian Dutcher in his second year. The Blue Devils pulled out the win (90-64) to move into the second round of play to face the number eight ranked team in the country of the Auburn Tigers. The Tigers gave them all they had only losing to the number one team in the nation by six points (72-78). Duke then went on to play the Gonzaga Bulldogs in the Maui Invitational Championship. Duke was heavily favored between the Bulldogs not only because they were the number one ranked team in the nation but because they have the top powerhouse in the nation with the top two players from ESPN’s top 100, RJ Barrett and the high-flying Zion Williamson. Although the Blue Devils played at a high level, Gonzaga’s coach, Mark Few had a game plan that Duke couldn’t fulfill. #3 Gonzaga defeated #1 Duke (89-87) in a thriller to win the Maui Invitational.

The Hometown Indiana Hoosiers came into the season in hopes to have a great season with the #5 player, Romeo Langford out of the ESPN 100, signed with the Hoosiers on April 30, 2018. Langford attended New Albany High School in Indiana and was a huge role on their basketball team. He averaged 31.2 ppg, 3.4 apg, 9.3 rpg, 2.3 spg, and 2.3 bpg. These numbers caught IU coach Archie Miller’s attention and helped Langford get a full-ride scholarship to IU of Bloomington. Also, the Hoosiers landed another great player out of McCutcheon High School in Indiana, Robert Phinisee. Phinesee averaged 18.9 ppg, 5.3 apg, 4.6 rpg, 3.0 spg, and 0.4 bpg during his high school career at McCutcheon High School. The Hoosiers have started out on a hot streak this season, only losing one game to Arkansas (72-73). They are currently first in the Big Ten and play a non-conference and high-powered Duke team tonight in Cameron Indoor Stadium at 9:30. It will be showed on ESPN.

8 Responses to “NCAA: Duke No Longer Undefeated; New Rankings in Top 25”

1. Enoch Hines on November 29th, 2018 1:17 pm

Great Article, I liked how you explained how the whole tournament went for Duke. I was watching the Duke and Gonzaga game and was very surprised Gonzaga won. I liked how explained how Romeo Langford was ranked in high school.

2. Izaac Fale on November 29th, 2018 1:18 pm

I really love this article Dixon. It was cool how they were undefeated. Good job on this article.

3. Felix Palafox Jr on November 29th, 2018 1:24 pm

This was a really good article. I liked how you informed us on the best teams in the NCAA as well as a hometown team. I liked how you described IU’s talented players as well.

4. Noah Preston on November 29th, 2018 1:28 pm

This was a good informational article, even though I don’t like the Hoosiers. I didn’t think they would win against Duke, but it was a good game.

5. Gavin george on November 29th, 2018 1:28 pm

I liked this article because it was talking about what I like and I love Romeo Langford, Zion Williamson, RJ Barret, not gonna lie all i knew was Romeo Langford a year ago sorta hoped on the bandwagon.

6. Jack Salyers on December 3rd, 2018 11:19 am

Great article Dixon. I enjoyed reading this article because college basketball is one of my favorite things to watch. I was very mad that Romeo went to the Hoosiers because I’m a very big Purdue Boilermaker fans and that I hate Indiana and I hope he went to Kansas so Purdue did not have to play him.

7. Robert Fitch III on December 3rd, 2018 11:19 am

Great article Dixon!! I love how you explained the NCAA top twenty five power rankings. Duke was a really great team that was projected to go undefeated. I thought they were going to go undefeated and win the National tourney.

8. Reece Rodabaugh on December 3rd, 2018 2:22 pm

Great Article Dixon. As you know I am a Purdue guy but the Hoosiers are the real deal this year. I really like Romeo and Robert on the floor together. I personally think duke will lose 4-5 more games.

*

• NCAA: Duke No Longer Undefeated; New Rankings in Top 25

Courier Top Sports Article

Furman Reaches Top 25

Courier Top Sports Article

College Football Playoff

Courier Top Sports Article

The Start of a Season

Courier Top Sports Article

Men’s Swimming and Diving Preview.

Courier Top Sports Article

Five More Minutes

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings Keep It Going With Relentless Ground Game

Courier Top Sports Article

A Look at the Football Team’s Sectionals Draw

• Courier Top Sports Article

Boys Tennis Sectional Draw

Courier Top Sports Article

A game that will never be forgotten

Courier Top Sports Article

Fantasy Football is Upon us!