First Time in a Long Time

First Time in a Long Time

Two weekends ago I did something I’ll never forget. I couldn’t have done it without the help of my cousin Neil. I haven’t been hunting since I was a little kid, and I barely remember it. This year I enjoyed it to the best of my ability. As he and I sat in the deer blind, we patiently waited for anything to make its way through the woods. My cousin taught me how to use the many tools he has for hunting specifically how his gun shoots, and what to do when I finally shoot a deer. I learned a lot throughout our two days of hunting even though one of them wasn’t as long as we expected. However, I know I’ll go hunting again soon.

Before I even started hunting, I drove over an hour to his house. I listened to Christmas music on my way to pass the time. The happy music served as a distraction from the fact that I was getting ready to kill a deer. When I finally arrived, we changed clothes and left for the woods. I’d have to say it was surprisingly cold outside, and I didn’t wear enough clothes.  For a while, it wasn’t too bad. It got colder as the deer ran away and the sun went down. We left that evening dissatisfied but also wanting more. To aid our situation, we bought a heater at Rural King that would hopefully keep us warm. After that, we called my other cousin(his wife) and decided to order some food. When we finally got home, both of us demolished the food and became lazy for the rest of the evening.

The next morning, we decided to bring his son on the hunt with us. He’s only five which means he gets bored very quickly. He’d never been hunting before and was excited to see some deer. Despite it being his first time, he quickly started watching movies on his dad’s phone. In other words, he lost interest. He kept asking us where are the deer and what’s taking so long. We waited for two hours and eventually left the stand. My oldest cousin received a call from his friend, and he asked if we wanted to help dress a buck and a doe. Of course, I said yes, and we drove out to his spot. I hardly ever have a problem with blood, and preparing this deer was not one of those times.

The whole concept was new to me. I knew the basics and thought it seemed easy enough. As we began to dress the deer, the smell was something I’ve experienced. I couldn’t tell what it was, but it wasn’t too awful. Finally, we transferred them to a friend’s truck and left. The day had been so long, and my cousin and I just wanted to take a nap. We went back to his house and crashed to the floor immediately.

I never thought I would enjoy hunting as much as I do now, but I’m glad I was able to finally experience it as a teen. I always thought it would be boring, or I’d get too cold. Although I was freezing, I still managed to make the best of it. My cousin has opened up a whole new part of something I never really focused on. Now that I know that I like it, I’ll definitely go a lot more.

6 Responses to “First Time in a Long Time”

1. Kyle Cohee on November 29th, 2018 1:22 pm

I enjoy hunting too. I remember the first time I went, and had a lot of fun.

2. Keenan Appleton on November 29th, 2018 1:35 pm

Great article Caleb! It’s nice that you now have a really fun hobby. It is nice to know that you have family who are willing enough to take you hunting. Keep up the good work!

3. joel daniels on November 29th, 2018 1:46 pm

I”ve always wanted to go hunting i hope you catch a deer one day.

4. Lauren Hileman on December 2nd, 2018 1:31 pm

While living in Cass County and going to Lewis Cass you hear about and see picture of hunting. I have never gone myself, but I’m am glad you had a good time! Great article

5. Alex Myers on December 3rd, 2018 8:06 am

Really cool article Caleb. I have also never been hunting since I was a little kid and I think it would be cool to go again, I just have no time. I am glad you got to experience such a cool trip. This was very well described and well worded.

6. Cjay74 on December 14th, 2018 8:24 am

Caleb, This is an awesome story. I am so glad you could spend time with your family doing this activity. I hope you can go out some more to make more memories with your cousin. I am sure you learned a lot when dressing the deer ( I would be completely lost). Great article!

• First Time in a Long Time

Courier Top Feature

One Last Go Around

• First Time in a Long Time

Courier Top Feature

Coach Groff joins the Lewis Cass Basketball Staff!

• First Time in a Long Time

Courier Top Feature

“The Great Christmas Light Fight”

• First Time in a Long Time