Struggling to Say Goodbye

Dear Romeo,
         The love, the licks, and the exciting tail wags has made your journey feel endless. When we chose you as a puppy, my mom picked you because of your floppy ears. You were irresistibly cute. My family was ready to take you home, and shortly after you became Romeo Thompson.

I was too young to remember much of you being a puppy. I do know that I didn’t like you because you would just knock me down every time you came to me. I also remember you getting in trouble for peeing in the house, but my family, however, still grew to fall in love with you and took you everywhere we went.

As a whole family, we took camping trips. You really loved going to Tennessee and seeing my grandparents and visiting the creeks. The campground with the creek, you knew by heart. We put you on a leash and you would drag us down to the creek to be covered in mud and come back wet, but then you would be mad at my parents for making you stay outside till you were dry. You liked lying under our shaded camper with your tongue hanging out and your tail perked up. You loved family vacations, but you never stayed on your side of the truck while traveling, so I would always end up covered in fur by the time we arrived.

We took naps together, played together, and went to our pond together all the time. We went to the pond together to feed the fish. You only went to eat the fish food because you were one crazy dog. You had your own fenced in backyard, and man did you like to play when we were in it. When I would have friends over, you would always get all the attention, but you were so cute. How could they resist just one pet on the head?

Our memories extending even farther than that as we grew up together hand and paw. Your birthday was April 1st and mine April 2nd, and we were only two years apart. You were always the crazy puppy, and I was the crazy kid. All through your journey, I never thought of the end. You fell one night and let out a weeping cry. You cried all night, so we had to take you to the vet. They diagnosed you with cancer, but that was not the end of your story. You kept going with the help of medicine.

I know you will never be able to read this because you are a dog, but you mean so much more to me. Last night finding out we would have to put you down on November 30th was the hardest news for me. You may be a dog, but this news was as hard as hearing about one of my family members passing away. You are 14 years old and still have the face of the puppy you were when we adopted you. You will always be my favorite hello and my hardest goodbye. Your time is no longer endless. Rest in peace, and Romeo know that…. I love you.

6 Responses to “Struggling to Say Goodbye”

1. Cjay74 on December 4th, 2018 8:08 am

McKayla, I am so sorry you had to put Romeo down. He was an awesome dog and I know he will be missed. You really captured your emotion in this article, good work.

2. Bella Panmei on December 5th, 2018 9:32 am

Awww McKayla! This was a touching article and I truly am so terribly sorry for your loss. Romeo was one of the best dogs I have ever met and I too will miss him. I can not imagine how you are doing about this news right now. I loved the way you wrote this article and how you expressed your feelings in it. Good job Kayla!

3. Ashli Key on December 5th, 2018 12:15 pm

McKayla, I am so sorry to hear about Romeo. I think we can all agree that when we get a dog, they soon turn into our best friends. Romeo sounds like the perfect dog, and it seems as if you guys were inseparable. I hate hearing that Romeo had to leave this world so soon, but you will always have the memories. I can’t imagine what it will feel like when my Basethound, Clyde, will leave as well. I am here if you need anything, but I know nothing can compare to Romeo’s cuddles or kisses.

4. Clara Licklider on December 10th, 2018 12:24 pm

McKayla! This story brings tears to my eyes. Dogs truly are mans best friends and I hate thinking about the moment my dogs will be ripped apart from my life. I am so sorry for your loss and Romeo will be forever missed.

5. Lanie Miller on December 12th, 2018 11:00 am

I am terribly sorry for your loss! I know how hard it is to lose an animal that you have had since you were little and it’s not fun. I really enjoyed reading this though because I can thoroughly relate to the situation. Stay strong girl!

6. grace on December 14th, 2018 1:48 pm

This was a heart breaking story about your dog being put down very sorry hope you feel better.

• Struggling to Say Goodbye

My Workplace

• Struggling to Say Goodbye

Dog Tags

• Struggling to Say Goodbye

Cass County Coming Together

• Struggling to Say Goodbye

SADD Farewell

• Struggling to Say Goodbye

Experiencing the first “Flawless” event!

• Struggling to Say Goodbye

To my beautiful best friend Begles,

• Courier Top First Person Feature

Hold Your Horses!

• Struggling to Say Goodbye

It’s all about the drive!

• Struggling to Say Goodbye