Filed under Student Life

A thousand miles strong

A thousand miles strong

Saying our last goodbyes on the day of her graduation.

As I entered my sophomore year, I never imagined making a friend from someone that lived in a different country. Only because in a small town like Walton, Indiana, how many times do you meet someone from a different town, let alone a different country? With our school being a small size than surrounding schools, everybody knows everybody. After the first day, people started talking about how many new foreign exchange students were attending school this year. I am amazed to see how students here, at Lewis Cass, interact with each student from other locations.

As I had watched the cross country team interact with a few foreign exchange students, I wondered what it would be like to be friends with one of them. Little to my knowledge with in the next few months, I would become very close with a girl named Rico (Lico). She calls her home, “My country.” She never really said the actual place she lived other than a place in Japan.

Haley, Rico, and I enjoyed being goof balls no matter where we were.

Living in Japan, she ate different food that we eat here. She had never tasted mac ‘n’ cheese or cupcakes. Yes, they had versions of sweets but not any sugar-filled sweet as we do here. Rico claimed, “These so sweet.” Her craving of sweets was a very strong ALL the time. At our basketball Christmas party she received a box of sweets from a fellow teammate. The box consisted of the largest sugar rush, cupcakes, and candies. At one point, she had both hands full of cupcakes. She ate each one so fast she gave herself a stomach ache. Even though she did not feel good, she didn’t regret eating them all.

That was just one of the many moments she lit up the room with her outgoing personality. She is a friend that quickly became family. If she needed any advice at all, needed to talk about missing home, or even needed help speaking English, she always knew how to get ahold of me. It never bugged me to help her and share a good laugh. Our group consisted of Haley, Rico, and myself. We had plenty of heartfelt moments while talking about how much we all meant to the other, but on the other hand, the heartfelt moments are the ones that stand out to each of us.

On a personal note:

With all the amazing memories shared between us, I hope you never forget me while you are back in Japan. I want you to have safe travels and to live life. You have impacted every life you touched here at Lewis Cass. Even though we are a small town in the middle of nowhere, we all have a big heart for friends and family. Well, Rico you are exactly that to me! Friends and family that made a bond so tight that even distance can’t touch what we have. Until the next time I get to see you, be safe and eat all the seaweed for me (that way I don’t have to eat it).

RIco and Gift went withe me to Sadd while they were here in America.

6 Responses to “A thousand miles strong”

1. Clara Licklider on December 5th, 2018 12:29 pm

I love your article! It is so heartfelt and sweet. Making friends is so much fun to do and you got to make a foreign friend! I couldn’t imagine all of the interesting things you learned and experienced just from being friends with someone from a whole different side of the world. This story is also a little bittersweet because I know that you won’t be able to see her as often as friends you have in Indiana:( She sounds like an amazing person and keep up the good articles!

2. Katelyn Schreckenghaust on December 7th, 2018 8:01 am

I loved how you described all the new things, like sweets, she had the opportunity to experience. I also liked how you described the amazing bond and friendship you both created. Great article!

3. Lanie Miller on December 12th, 2018 11:15 am

I think this article is so good Brooklynn! It’s awesome to see how strong your guy’s friendship has remained despite the distance!

4. Katy Howell on December 14th, 2018 1:45 pm

I loved this article! It showed me that no matter how far apart you are, you can always keep a friendship or relationship. This was very sweet and heart warming. I think it’s fantastic that you made a friend that lives that far away!

5. Chris Rowan on December 14th, 2018 1:49 pm

I liked how you described all the new things, like sweets, she had the opportunity to experience. I also liked how you described the amazing bond and friendship you both created.

6. Keenan Appleton on December 14th, 2018 5:17 pm

Great article Brooklyn! Making new friends is always a fun and exciting experience. I really enjoyed the pictures you decided to include in this article as well as the article itself. Keep up the great work!

*

• A thousand miles strong

One Last Go Around

• A thousand miles strong

My Workplace

• A thousand miles strong

Dog Tags

• A thousand miles strong

Christmas Concert

• A thousand miles strong

SADD Farewell

• Student Life

A Busy Version of Thanksgiving

• A thousand miles strong

Experiencing the first “Flawless” event!

• A thousand miles strong

ICYC With a Plot Twist

• A thousand miles strong

Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

• Student Life

Diamond This Diamond That

A thousand miles strong