Finals Season

Finals Season

Finals, also known as the dreaded test at the end of the semester that determines whether we pass the class or not. The week, even the month leading up to the exam is stressful for almost every student involved. This test can make or break someone’s GPA, chance at a college, or whether or not they graduate. It’s a very intense time for students.

For the past week I have seen memes upon memes about everything finals consists of. Mental breakdowns, very little to no sleep, procrastination, and an abundance of stress are just a few. There are youtube videos of people having breakdowns as they study, which they make a profit from because they get so many views. That’s right, people make a profit from studying and making relatable jokes about this time of year that teenagers have to reluctantly deal with. That’s how much it consumes us.

Of course there is a healthy amount of stress, and then there is stress during finals week. According to the Daily Collegian, negative moods such as anxiety, sadness, and anger, which are very common during this time of year, cause heaps of psychological stress. That’s on top of papers, projects, and exams students are worrying about. Not to mention presents for the holidays and things going on in people’s lives also adds stress. This is the week where cram sessions happen, endless pots of coffee are being made, and students are hopeful they don’t fail a class. The amount of stress some students have has some parents wondering, “Should finals exist?” Or maybe have less of an impact on our grades?

The final exam is to test knowledge gained from the semester to see if students are learning and teachers are teaching. It is important to know that people are retaining information, but could it be done in a different way? The way the American school system is set up, most students retain information to pass a test and then forget most of what they “learned.” When this happens over and over again throughout the semester, finals are a lot harder on students.

College and high school students are now more stressed than ever, seeking counseling more than ever, and being diagnosed with anxiety, depression, and other mental disorders more than ever. According to the American College Association, these diagnoses increased a whopping twelve percent from 2011 to 2016. Of course this isn’t only due to finals but also the way the American school system is set up in general and, of course, pressure. Pressure from parents, peers, and society consumes people on a daily basis. This was especially evident when social media came into the picture. Not only do we feel pressure on what we wear, watch, or listen to, but also in school. The pressure to be the perfect student is absurd. According to Stanford, the “more is better” mentality and the dynamics of our competitive society has made its way into school. Students compare themselves to their peers and feel the need, the drive to do as well or better than them. Studies have shown that it consumes students to the point of mental breakdowns and mental disorders repeatedly.

As you study this week to prepare for your final exams, make sure to take care of yourself. To start, for the love of god do not have more than four cups of coffee in one day. Having too much caffeine can be more harmful than good as it can cause large amounts of anxiety (as if we don’t already have enough) and loss of sleep. Sleep is vital to staying sane any time, not just during finals. For the most effective studying, study in 25 minute intervals with five minute breaks in between. It’s better for your mental health and allows you to retain more information. Make sure to stay sane and hydrated during this stressful week and good luck on your finals!

7 Responses to “Finals Season”

1. Josie Woolever on December 18th, 2018 11:02 am

Great article! Finals week is always my least favorite part of the school year, and this year with it being my senior year I’m more stressed than usual. This week could not only make or break my GPA but my class ranking as well which stresses me out to no limit, but I’m also really struggling with senioritis which is leading me to not want to study and constantly procrastinating studying. I think it’s crazy how people make money off of practically just making fun of the situation. Great article and keep up the writing Annie!

2. Kady on December 20th, 2018 10:15 am

Great article. Great topic to talk about.

3. Lauren Hileman on December 21st, 2018 11:48 am

Great article Annie! I agree with Josie that finals are my least favorite part of the semester. I am always thinking about grades and checking them many times during the duration of the period. Nice job Annie

4. Brooklynn Fye on January 4th, 2019 2:44 pm

Annie this article is outstanding! Everything you described is a spot on representation of how the week goes. Each and every student losses their cool. You did a great job explaining how the stress pushes kids to the limits. Caffeine overloads are a normal during the week of finals, even though students know the negativities that caffeine has on the body. Keep writing, this article is very interesting and informative.

5. Brannyn Spencer on January 10th, 2019 11:17 am

Great article Annie. This is one of the two most dreadful weeks of the school year. It’s full of more stress than anyone could imagine. I like how you explained the importance of sleep and how too much caffeine can effect students negatively.

6. Emily Cannon on February 8th, 2019 12:57 pm

Great article! I dislike finals week, but i’ll do whatever it takes to get me through the school year.

7. Josh Vandeburg on April 10th, 2019 1:43 pm

I’m lucky enough that I don’t have to study for finals too much, but I understand where people come from with the stress. I recently had the version of a test in private lessons I take, and I was almost nutters by the time it finally came around.

*

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

An Open Letter to My Brother

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

An Open Letter to All Girls

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

You are not alone..

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

Seeing God’s Grandeur through the Darkness

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

Annual Spitznogle Christmas

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

The Bond Between the Seniors

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

It’s not even Thanksgiving yet!

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

Seeing Suicide From a Different Standpoint

• Finals Season

Courier Top Opinion Article

An Open Letter to My Sisters

Finals Season