Sports Nation Loses a Hero: Tyler Trent

After losing one of our own, we grieve and understand how hard it is to lose such a young student.

Tyler Trent, a former Purdue student, was diagnosed with a rare case of bone cancer in high school. Trent previously broke his arm when playing ultimate frisbee during high school and it never healed properly. According to indystar.com, Trent’s right arm was removed from elbow to shoulder and was replaced with titanium. After getting along with the surgery for a few years, cancer was later found in his pelvis. The doctors then informed Trent the best solution would be to replace his entire hip.

Trent was known on the Purdue campus and around the area because of his love for sports and being such a great young kid. After battling since high school, he was to the point at the beginning of last year that he couldn’t walk on his own because of the cancer eating away his bones. Trent was always known for his love for Purdue football and athletics, but mainly to the Purdue student body and family until he and his friend from Carmel, Indiana camped out outside of the stadium in September of 2017 the night before the Purdue-Michigan football game to ensure to be first in line.

Trent inspired many students and fans throughout the country due to his love for his team and for being such an inspiring person. According to indystar.com, before Purdue played one of the top college football teams in America, the Ohio State Buckeyes, Trent predicted that Purdue would upset them in a thriller. Purdue went on to defeat the Buckeyes 49-20. After the game, Trent tweeted, “For those wondering – I have no idea what the winning Powerball numbers are.”

Purdue then went on the road to face the Indiana Hoosiers in Bloomington on November 24. The IU family gladly helped Trent make it in attendance to see one of the biggest rivalries in college football. The Boilermakers went on to defeat the Hoosiers 28-21 in the Big Ten match-up.

Tyler Trent was one of the most inspiring sports fans in the history of the sports era. During the fight for his life, he told a reporter, “Just realizing that whatever happens because of this, it’s going to come out for good, whether I see that now or not.” He fought and fought his way through life until nothing was left.

On January 1, 2019, Trent passed away at the age of 20 years old. His funeral service was held in Indianapolis at College Park Church with one of his favorite athletes in attendance. Purdue quarterback David Blough spoke in remembrance of Trent during his funeral and informed the crowd how great of a young man Trent was. Blough said, “The 48 hours I got to spend with the Trent family at the college football awards show was easily the best 48 hours of my life.”

8 Responses to “Sports Nation Loses a Hero: Tyler Trent”

1. Cjay74 on January 11th, 2019 8:02 am

Dixon, I had not heard about Trent. This is a true tragedy. It is very sad to hear that someone so enthusiastic lost their life so young. I am glad that even though he had a horrible condition that he was able to enjoy sports. Great article.

2. Alex Myers on January 14th, 2019 9:51 am

Great article about a great kid. Tyler was truly an inspiration to all, everyone should read this article to hear his story. I loved seeing his face on the scoreboard every time they showed it because he was always smiling. He was going through the worst of the worst, yet he never cried, frowned, or scowled at anyone. Tyler Trent was an amazing person and his legacy will live on through all of the Nation’s colleges.

3. Emme Grisez on January 14th, 2019 2:03 pm

I am inspired by Tyler. He would always look on the bright side of things, and he always had a smile on his face. I loved reading this article because it opened my eyes to see that you can be positive in a really dark time in your life.

4. Jon Emmons on January 14th, 2019 2:06 pm

I think you did good on this article he sounds like a really good kid, he could be an inspiration for kids not to give up.

5. Ethan Johnson on January 14th, 2019 2:06 pm

You did a great job on showing how great of a kid Tyler was. I knew Tyler, but I really didn’t know how his cancer began and how he fought in order to be where he was. Tyler was such a role model to me because he showed that even in the worst circumstances you can always be positive and control what you do. Tyler will always be remembered in my heart.

6. Jon Emmons on January 14th, 2019 5:24 pm

This is a great article, he sounded like a really nice guy.

7. Anthony Fields on January 14th, 2019 8:33 pm

I think this story is tragic that someone so enthusiastic passed away. I am glade to know that he passed away happy and having his favorite quarter back speak at his funeral.

8. McKayla Thompson on January 15th, 2019 11:31 am

Great article Dixon! This article really highlights and informs the students how nothing should be taken for granted. It is truly so sad to see such a loving person pass away, but he will always be remembered. I think it’s incredible to hear about all his stories and amazing to hear the influence he had on others. Keep up the good writing!

*

• Sports Nation Loses a Hero: Tyler Trent

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal

Courier Top News Stories

Making a Change

Courier Top News Stories

John McCain: An American Hero Laid to Rest

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Preschool Program

Courier Top News Stories

First Day Glitch

Courier Top News Stories

STOP!T

Features

America’s Water Crisis

News

The Record Breaking Shutdown

The horror of family functions!

Ready…Set…Read!

Sports Nation Loses a Hero: Tyler Trent