Kings Cage the Tigers

Kings Cage the Tigers

Cayl Garland getting a pin!

Cayl Garland getting a pin!

Cayl Garland getting a pin!

Cayl Garland getting a pin!

Last night the Lewis Cass Kings wrestling team traveled to Peru for a tough battle against the Tigers. Peru had wrestled Maconaquah the previous night and lost thirty-eight to thirty-four. This was very good news to the team because we had beaten Mac earlier in the year at the Maconaquah Duals.
After everyone checked their weight, the ref came into the locker room to declare weigh-ins had officially started. This meant no one could lose or gain anymore weight. Since we were the visiting team, our coach got to draw a chip from a bag to determine which weight class the night would start at. I was in suspense because the whole night depended on one little piece of plastic. As coach was digging his hand into the bag, Cade and I, the team captains, were hoping for 145 to come up. Finally Coach Burrous brings the chip out of the bag and sure enough, 145 was staring me in the eyes. Everyone got in line and weighed in by weight class. Peru made some major lineup changes to hopefully beat us and it almost worked; however, Jio Cervantes, a freshman stepping up for the injured C.J. Burrous, had other plans for them.
Warm-ups went well even though we were rushed due to it being Peru’s senior night. After the seniors were announced and JV wrestled, the two teams lined up across from each other on the mat for a face off. They announced each weight class and I was ready to get out there and win. Blake Jones started the night off for us against Peru’s best kid. Even though Blake lost, he did not give up a pin which was huge for the team. Finally, it was my time to go out there and help the team. I pinned my kid in the first period to make the team score 6 to 4. We forfeited 160 to Peru because Adam Bandelier was injured from a previous tournament. James Fale and Cayl Garland both got back to back pins at their respective weight classes. Bryce Reish got pinned in a very hard fought match, and Nathaniel Moss lost a close one.
As we started the lower weights, I was a bit worried because Peru is stronger in the lower weights. Kaine Fowler and Karson Albright both got pins for the team, which were huge. Sam Miller lost a hard fight, but he did not give up a pin, which was what we needed him to do. Payton Smith got caught in a move and ended up getting pinned. Cade Cox pinned his kid which put us in the lead by one point. The whole night came down to one match, and we had to win it to win the meet. As Jio and the other kid lined up, I was convinced he would lose the match. Jio came out there like a King and wrestled like one too. He gave everything he had to win the match. As soon as the clock struck zero the whole team jumped out of their seats in excitement because we had just knocked off the reigning sectional champions with a final score of 34 to 30.
The win was very sweet but it was team effort on and off the mat. Everyone on the bench was screaming like a maniac during every match. We were screaming moves and counters as if we were all coaches. There wasn’t a single match that we weren’t on our feet screaming moves or helping each other get warmed up.

9 Responses to “Kings Cage the Tigers”

1. Adam Bandelier on January 10th, 2019 4:20 pm

Good job on writing this last night is a night I will never forget.

2. Jack Salyers on January 11th, 2019 12:17 pm

Great story Alex! I enjoyed reading about all the matches and how they went for you guys. I like reading about the freshman my fellow classmates and how they did. Keep up the amazing work.

3. isaac on January 14th, 2019 2:00 pm

This is a good story about wrestling

4. lane collins on January 14th, 2019 2:00 pm

Great story and good job on the win.

5. rye on January 14th, 2019 2:05 pm

Great job You did a great job writing this story about this topic and I hope you write about something else.

6. mdish72 on January 15th, 2019 10:00 am

Great article Alex! It’s great to hear about how each player on the team encourages on another to be successful. You guys definitely put a lot of effort and heart into each and every one of your matches! Keep up the good work and the rest of your season!

7. Dixon on January 15th, 2019 11:44 am

It definitely sounds like the wrestling team has had a great season so far. Congrats on the close win! I like how you explained the how each person weighed in before the matches began. Great article!

8. Robert Fitch III on January 21st, 2019 9:57 am

Great article Alex! I love how you told us about my fellow classmates. You also wrote an amazing review about the match because you told exciting parts in each match witch is huge for a reader. Keep up the great writing!

9. Emma Logan on February 7th, 2019 1:50 pm

Good article Alex, It sounds like the wrestling team had a great season. Good job on winning.

*

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

Officially a Patriot!

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

Transferring shaking up College Football!

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

Let’s Make Some Noise

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

The Start of a Season

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

Five More Minutes

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

Why do students participate in sports?

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

Leaving A Mark, My Senior Season

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Courier Top Sports Article

Purdue: The Next Chapter of My Life

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Showcase

FILL OUT YOUR BRACKET!!!

• Kings Cage the Tigers

Sports

NCAA March Madness

Kings Cage the Tigers