Pep Club is not Working

Pep Club is not Working

*Editor’s note: The intent of this article is not to call out Samuel Miller for not actively doing more for the Pep Club, but to call on the student population to attend more Sporting events. – Carl Jay

Last Saturday I attended the Lewis Cass Basketball games against Tri-Central. I often help Mrs. Densborn and her posse of 8th graders with the camera board that was installed last year. Besides running local business ads – of the businesses that helped pay for the board – one job of the camera/ computer crew involves putting several students on the board. This past Saturday we could not do this. Aside from the Band, Cheerleaders, and mandatory concession workers, the student populous was non existent.

I thought the new urge to join and participate in the pep club was really cool. To me, it feels as if everyone has just stopped caring about attending. The efforts to have a theme every game seems to have stopped. This really bums me out. I love going to basketball games and seeing everyone jazzed up in something silly. Now, that has stopped. The last few games I have gone to the non mandatory student populous is at max 10-15 people – scattered throughout the stands- not sitting in the student section. I think it reflects poorly on Lewis Cass when the opposing team pep club, who drive 30-45 minutes to attend, has a more concentrated section.

According to Caleb Johnson’s Lewis Cass Pep Club Reviewed, “Samuel Miller, leader of the Pep Club, has done an exceptional job at boosting the Pep Club’s enthusiasm and overall numbers.”

Johnson also commented on the social media presence of the Pep Club. He said that both Instagram and twitter have over 300 followers combined. With a strong media presence one can convey information in a fast, reliable format; this is very good. Miller actively posts content on his Instagram, LCK_PEP_CLUB, and Twitter, LCK_PepClub, for updates always check these. According to Lewis Cass Pep Club Reviewed, Miller’s goal is to create a “fun atmosphere” and “better appreciation” for the Lewis Cass student-athletes.

Miller negotiated with the Athletic Department that all students who bought the Pep Club shirt would get into all home games -off all sports- just with the ten dollar shirt cost. This was HUGE. Home game admission is five dollars; therefore, by going to 2 home games you have paid made up the cost of the shirt and do not have to pay to get in. This seemed to work at first, but now nobody is going to games with their shirts – or at all.

The reasons to go to the game, in my opinion, outweigh not going.

For example,

Pros: You get to see your friends, you can watch an exciting game, and you can make memories for a lifetime.

Cons: You are not seeing your friends, you don’t watch an exciting game, and you are not making memories for a lifetime at a fun game.

“I definitely find more energy and drive to push myself to my limit when people are in the crowd cheering me on,” Robert Fitch, a JV basketball player, told me.

Caleb Johnson said, “At conference, I have thrown some of my best shot and disk throws because of the huge crowd of Lewis Cass students cheering me on.”

I know that when I have other students watching me swim and run that I will do better. It is really powerful to know that you have people that are not on your team that care about your performance.

No person can make you go to the games; however, the student athletes appreciate your attendance. When you go, you are supporting the Lewis Cass Athletic Department as well. You can find the game schedule on the Lewis Cass School Website under the calendar tab. It is listed as LCH Event Calendar.

Early in the 80’s, the Lewis Cass pep club was huge!

2015-2016 LC Pep Club

14 Responses to “Pep Club is not Working”

1. Annie Daily on January 11th, 2019 11:27 am

I like that you wrote about this because it’s something I think we’ve all noticed but haven’t talked about much. I don’t attend many games because it would be more fun if my friends went, but they don’t. Great article! This is a good way to get people to attend the games.

2. Alex Myers on January 14th, 2019 9:45 am

This is a great topic to write about because it needs to be talked about. People need to know that the band cannot be the only people in the student section. If this doesn’t get people to come to the games then I don’t know what will.

3. Ashli Key on January 14th, 2019 11:02 am

Carl, this article is something everyone needs to read. A lot of the students don’t go anymore because ‘no one else does.’ The student body has started to not attend or sit with family because the student section is bare. I like how you used quotes from other people. It helps us realize that the student section is more than just goofy outfits, screaming, and being obnoxious. The student section is our school support for the athletes playing. Good article!

4. McKayla Thompson on January 14th, 2019 11:15 am

This article is really great. As a cheerleader, I totally agree with you. The cheerleaders like to see other student there that will cheer with us and be more involved with the games. Sam Miller has done a great job at getting this club together, but people aren’t taking it the next step and actually showing up. I hope this changes. Great article Carl!

5. Jon Emmons on January 14th, 2019 2:03 pm

This is an amazing article! I think everyone should read this because it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into this article, and it came out to be really good.

6. Aiden Martinez on January 14th, 2019 2:04 pm

This article was very well written along with providing an editors note that you are not trying to call out someone. This article brings to light the attention to how not very many students are willing to cheer for their local teams and participate in cheering for them. As the article had mentioned, some people work their very best when they have a crowd of cheering people to back them up. Very good writing.

7. Julissa Reynoso on January 14th, 2019 7:53 pm

I like how you wrote about this. It’s something that everybody needs to read so we can realize that the athletes need our school support in the student section. I don’t attend to any of the games because there isn’t much people and my friends never go

8. Jack Salyers on January 16th, 2019 10:59 am

Great Article Carl! I enjoyed reading this article because how you explained how the pep club lost numbers and why no people go to the games. I also liked this article by how you explained Samuel Miller’s plan and how it went. Keep up the fantastic writing.

9. Clara Licklider on January 16th, 2019 11:04 am

Job well done Carl! I completely agree with this entire article. The student body needs to go to more events and participate in these school activities. I know when I am in a sport, such as swim, I love to hear my friends and family cheer me on while I do my events. While it is not required to show up, pep club makes it more fun and exciting for students to go/want to. Good job on this article!

10. Brannyn Spencer on January 16th, 2019 11:05 am

I really like this article! I agree that more people need to continue to come to the games. As a cheerleader, we all stand in certain spots. I personally stand in front of where the student section is supposed to be but only a few 6th graders sit there. Having more young attendants could also really change the outcome of our games. Great job Carl.

11. Dixon on January 17th, 2019 10:37 am

As you said, Pep Club helps fuel the players during the games. I agree with you because there has been hardly any students at games this season. Great article!

12. Robert Fitch III on January 21st, 2019 9:50 am

Great Article Carl! I love how you explained on why we as players nedd a student section,because with a student section we feel that energy to help us play better. I love how you used quotes to help tell you side of the whole entire story. Way to go Carl keep up the great writing

13. Malachi on January 29th, 2019 9:53 am

This is a great story. The pep club needs to be more peppy because that is what helps the teams win.

14. Kyla on January 29th, 2019 1:05 pm

I really liked your article, Carl! The band should have to be the only people supporting our school. The band puts in a lot of effort into it and not many students come to enjoy the game or the music. The article might help people realize the problem and resolve it by participating.

• Pep Club is not Working

Valentine’s Day

• Pep Club is not Working

Opinion

You are not alone..

• Pep Club is not Working

Features

The Refinery adds Fun to Kokomo!

Pep Club is not Working