The celebration of Groundhog Day

The celebration of Groundhog Day

Holidays are celebrated in a special way, but what if your favorite holiday isn’t a holiday that is normally celebrated? Well, for Mr. Appleton that is definitely the case. How many people do you know that actually celebrate Groundhog day? If you are any kid outside of the Agriculture Department, the answer is probably zero. Now, For any kid that gets to watch the countdown to Groundhog day you know what I am talking about when I say, “ This man does not joke around about Groundhog day.”

I have participated in this celebration ever since I entered the agriculture program. I never asked why we celebrated this strange holiday. I just knew we got biscuits and gravy that morning if we attended the celebration. As the years went on, I became very curious as to what the reason was that our entire FFA and ag program celebrated this holiday as though it was Christmas. I finally asked Mr. Appleton, “Why do we celebrate Groundhog day?” He simply chuckled at the question. After he got over his minor laugh attack, he stated, “In mid Octoberish Kyle Pullen and I were ranting about how people only celebrate certain holidays more than others.” This is a very understandable comment because as we all know stores have Christmas decorations out before Halloween is even over.

As Mr. Appleton continued his story, he started laughing because they picked Groundhog day as a joke not knowing the tradition of celebrating would actually become a thing. Mr. Appleton claims, “The first year it was only open to officers, and I believe they brought in bread and gravy.” Knowing this “Holiday tradition” started out with a few officers is amazing considering the fact we now have about thirty to forty kids attend this celebration every year. Appleton continues with his own tradition as well by watching the movie “Groundhog Day” every year. So if you celebrate a strange day or holiday, please do not feel odd for doing so. Just keep your tradition going and have fun with it because we all know Mr. Appleton and the entire agriculture department has fun with it.

6 Responses to “The celebration of Groundhog Day”

1. Jazlyn Richard on February 4th, 2019 1:33 pm

This is a very interesting article! Did you know that it was originally hedgehog day until about 1887?

2. Annie Daily on February 5th, 2019 11:20 am

I’ve always celebrated groundhogs day because it’s also my birthday so this article was fun to read. I can’t even count on one hand the amount of times I’ve seen that movie. Great article!

3. Elijah Sheagley on February 14th, 2019 1:33 pm

This article is good.
    ground hog day is fun!

4. Levi Dyer on February 19th, 2019 8:25 am

This seems like something Mr. Appleton would do. He is always a funny person and I’m glad to see him keep up the trend.

5. Erika Johnson on March 4th, 2019 4:46 pm

This is a really good article! I’ve never really thought about celebrating Groundhogs Day.

6. Josh Vandeburg on April 17th, 2019 1:52 pm

I’ve never really celebrated Groundhog Day beyond asking if he saw his shadow or not. Now, I’m glad I’ll be able to celebrate a little more going into ag classes next year.

• The celebration of Groundhog Day

Courier Top Feature

The Freeze is Finally Open

• The celebration of Groundhog Day

Courier Top Feature

An Upcoming Teacher: Madeline Winterhalter

• The celebration of Groundhog Day

Courier Top Feature

Exploring the Virtual Kidnapping Scam

• The celebration of Groundhog Day

Courier Top Feature

Mirage

• The celebration of Groundhog Day

Courier Top Feature

The Refinery adds Fun to Kokomo!

• The celebration of Groundhog Day