My First Tattoo

Processed+with+VSCO+with+c1+preset

My First Tattoo

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

February second was my eighteenth birthday, so as many do, I decided that I wanted to get a tattoo. I didn’t decide to do this on a whim; I’d been thinking about getting this tattoo for about a year and a half. For quite a while I knew that this was something I wanted to do on my eighteenth birthday. When the day was about a month away, I decided to change the tattoo I wanted. I originally wanted a bouquet of flowers, but I switched it and that was a very good decision on my part. I love my tattoo and I think it’s really pretty.

As the day grew closer, I was getting more and more nervous. I was really starting to anticipate the pain. The fact that the ink was going to be on my body for the rest of my life was also really starting to sink in. The night before my birthday I barely got any sleep because I was so nervous. I do not do well with pain.

My birthday arrived and I was ready. We walked into Masterwork Tattoo in Indy and the guy, Jacob Brian, was very nice. He asked me what I wanted, where I wanted it, and how big I wanted it to be. He told us how much it would be and began drawing it. He took me to the back of the shop and began. Right before Brian started, he asked if I was ready, I said yes, and he began tattooing my right arm.

The whole time I had my sister talk to me and distract me. She talked to me about China (where she’s moving to), her job, and anything else she could think of. I was really grateful that she did this especially since she has a huge fear of needles. Having her talk to me was a very good idea as getting the tattoo was more painful than I thought it would be. I had heard that it’s like getting a bunch of small shots, so that’s what I expected. At first it was, but when he began tattooing the more sensitive parts of my arm, it was very, very painful. Every so often Brian would stop and ask if I was doing okay or needed a break. I really appreciated that. It was over before I knew it, only lasting about 30 minutes.

I looked in the mirror and I instantly loved it. It was strange seeing the tattoo there at first, but it’s been a couple days and I’m already used to it. I love the style of my tattoo and the placement. It’s so pretty and perfect for me.

My tattoo does have meaning; here’s the story. One day about a year and a half ago I was scrolling through Pinterest and found this poem called “Wildflowers” by Julie Andrews. To sum it up, the poem is about how wildflowers are brave, strong, and beautiful all at once. Although they look delicate and beautiful, they withstand storms. I have severe anxiety and this poem related to me in that sense. Although sometimes life is hard, can be really scary, and hard to pick yourself back up again, I can do it. I can live with this mental illness that holds me back a lot of the time and still be worthwhile. All I have to do is look down at my arm and I am reminded that I can take on anything life throws at me.

17 Responses to “My First Tattoo”

1. Uriah Riemenschneider on February 7th, 2019 11:59 am

I really enjoyed this article because I can connect well with it. I too got my first tattoo for my birthday, i still sometimes look in the mirror and see my tattoo and think, “wow that doesn’t even seem like it should be permanent” or “wow it really is still there.”

2. Emme Grisez on February 7th, 2019 1:58 pm

I really love how you told the story, and then you told the reasoning of the story. I like how you got something that described you.

3. Tianna Casner on February 7th, 2019 2:29 pm

I love your tattoo! It’s very pretty! I enjoyed your article. I can relate to it in a few ways, the first being that I plan on getting a tattoo on my 18th birthday, and have been planning this for awhile now (I still have a little less than 4 years to go, but hey). The other way I relate to your article is that I too, have severe anxiety.
    The reason behind your tattoo is very inspiring! Stay strong, you can do this!!

4. Ashley Turnpaugh on February 7th, 2019 2:38 pm

I really like you tattoo. It is very pretty. I can’t really relate because I am to young to have a tattoo, but I can’t wait till I get my first one.

5. Erika Johnson on February 7th, 2019 5:06 pm

I enjoyed reading this article! I really like the meaning of the tattoo and how it relates to you!

6. Katelyn Schreckenghaust on February 8th, 2019 7:54 am

I really like this article. I think your tattoo turned out great, and I love the meaning behind it. I also liked how you included the way your sister distracted you from the pain by talking to you. Great article!

7. Madilyn Brown on February 8th, 2019 10:45 am

This is a great article! I like why you got a tattoo. When my sister turned 18 she got a tattoo in memory of my grandma who passed away.

8. Liberty Scott on February 8th, 2019 12:42 pm

Beautiful tattoo! The meaning behind it is touching and inspiring. Great writing.

9. Emily Cannon on February 8th, 2019 12:55 pm

I love this article because I’m planning on being a tattoo artist when I grow up. I liked how you described the experience. I have a fear of needles as well. Good article!

10. Brooklynn Fye on February 8th, 2019 1:30 pm

I enjoyed reading this story because I can relate to the topic. I loved how you clarified the reasoning on why you picked this specific tattoo. I think it fits your personality very well. Great article keep writing!

11. mdish72 on February 11th, 2019 9:29 am

Great article Annie! I love how you expressed your emotions throughout the whole article, especially when you said the needle felt like 100 shots! I wanted to get a tattoo as well, and it looks like after the pain it is worth it. Well done!

12. Bella Panmei on February 11th, 2019 9:38 am

Great story and I loved your reasoning behind why you got the tattoo. Sounds like it was a pretty cool birthday! You really had me hooked to your article from the first sentence. Great writing Annie!

13. Caleb Johnson on February 11th, 2019 2:00 pm

Awesome story. I loved how you gave the reasoning behind your tattoo and described the moments leading up to it. I too would be a little nervous before my first. I also thought it was nice how your sister sat there with you and kept you company. Keep up the good work!

14. Kelsey Wise on February 12th, 2019 3:34 pm

Great article! I know you put a lot of thought into getting this tattoo and I think it was a really great choice. It fits your personality and you have your reasons for getting this tattoo and I think that is important since it will forever be on your body.

15. Emma Logan on March 4th, 2019 1:34 pm

Great article. I love how you explained the reasoning behind it.

16. Haden McClain on March 13th, 2019 1:57 pm

Great Article! My older sister who is 21 got a tattoo for my grandma who past away. I love why you chose the tattoo, because I heard their is always a reasoning behind the tattoo.

17. HannaH Cicalo on March 15th, 2019 10:01 am

I enjoyed reading this article. I like how you not only stated that you were scared but overcame your fear of getting the tattoo, but you also stated why you wanted to get that specific tattoo design.

• My First Tattoo