Filed under Student Life

Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is the day in which couples and loved ones celebrate their love for one another. People show their love on Valentine’s Day through chocolate, stuffed animals, clothes, pictures, food, and more items that significant others love to receive. We all have that one favorite candy or chocolate that we would love to be gifted and Valentine’s Day is an excuse for loved ones to provide those goods to their loved ones.

I personally love Valentine’s Day and not only because I have that person to buy gifts for and receive gifts but because I love the symbol of the day. I read an article by Rita Baber from the Kings’ Courier back in 1967 called, “Valentine’s Day Celebrated Around the World,” and loved how she went about writing her article. I love that she said, “This is the day that birds and animals choose their mates,” because that signifies the cute aura most people get from Valentine’s Day.

Some people get gifts that they may not be expecting.  For instance, this morning my friend and I Alexis Knight had taken a Peanut Butter and Jelly Uncrustable to our friend, Gabby Fred, with a sticky note on it that said, “You are the peanut butter to our jelly.” We had surprised her with the Uncrustable and then in return she gave us Valentine’s Day cards with individual notes written inside of each card for each of her close friends. I was very excited to have received an unexpected card and I thought Gabby was very thoughtful for giving us a gift.

I have also spent a good amount of my paycheck on Valentine’s Day throughout the last two weeks for my person. I bought loads of candy, a candle with a note that reads “you’re a ‘scent’ sational guy,” and a cute stuffed dog that will probably end up as mine. I had been so excited for Valentine’s Day that I really didn’t even care about the dent that partook in my paycheck.

But Valentine’s Day is not just for couples. Valentine’s Day is for family as well. My sister and I had spent Valentine’s Day last year with my grandma even though we all had significant others. We just thought it was cute to go out and get ice cream and spend a couple hours of this holiday together. Personally, I believe that Valentine’s Day is not just for the couples in the world, and neither did people in the past. Rita Baber wrote that Valentine’s Day used to be celebrated by giving  “insulting valentines to people who you disliked.” I remember having an encounter in second grade when a boy said he wanted me as his valentine in our class and I had skipped over his cubby where we put our valentines cards and put a piece of paper that said something along the lines of, “You’re stupid,” because I did not want a valentine back then.

I can see how people could have thought of Valentine’s Day as an insulting day, especially for those people with no valentine. A theory that Baber mentioned in her article was that when a young girl wakes up, the first man she sees is whom she is meant to be with. I do not believe that one because if the first man she sees could be her dad or an old man walking on the street, I think that could go very wrong. Valentine’s Day could be used to find a significant other if by chance you come across someone while at a Valentine’s party but just remember that there are other people to spend this romantic, cute day.

5 Responses to “Valentine’s Day”

1. McKayla Thompson on February 14th, 2019 12:31 pm

Great article Kelsey! I love Valentine’s day too, but just like you, I love the symbol of the day. I think it’s a great day to show your appreciation to everyone in your life. I like how you referenced another article. Keep up the good writing!

2. Elijah Sheagley on February 14th, 2019 1:28 pm

Valentines day is a good day to spread love.
    You get chocolate and heart cards.

3. Levi Dyer on February 19th, 2019 8:20 am

Interesting view on things. I like how you went back and used some writing from so long ago as a reference today. I also think that the “when a girl wakes up the first man she sees is who she’s meant to be with” can have a different meaning. Not just literally looking at the person who is part of the background, but as the first person that pops out in front of the background of your normal life.

4. Kenzie McLeland on March 5th, 2019 1:26 pm

Great story Kelsey I like your view on things

5. Madilyn Brown on March 5th, 2019 1:45 pm

This is a great article, I love Valentine’s Day. We receive gifts from loved ones, It’s the best holiday to spread love. Keep up the great work!

*

• Valentine’s Day

It Was More Than Just a Trip to Disney

• Valentine’s Day

Six Weeks!

• Valentine’s Day

Trip to FermiLab

• Valentine’s Day

Dear Long Lost Best Friend,

• Valentine’s Day

Spring Break With My Best Friend

• Valentine’s Day

Not So Typical Love Story

• Valentine’s Day

The Roommate That Never Was

• Valentine’s Day

It’s Really Okay To Not Be Okay, I Promise

• Valentine’s Day

Losing a Father

• Valentine’s Day

As the Days Go By: A letter to my best friend

Valentine’s Day