Ice Causes Long Commute

Ice Causes Long Commute

Driving is one of the most dangerous ways to commute. According to cars.com, 1 in 77 percent of drivers will die from a fatal car crash. Fatal accidents happen each and every day of the year with approximately 3,287 deaths occurring each day.

This past Monday, my dad and I ventured to Indianapolis to the Pacers game which was the same night as the rain/sleet/ and freezing rain. We knew the roads were supposed to get pretty  bad after the game, but we didn’t think they’d get as bad as it did.

While we were still in Indy, the temperature was hovering at just about freezing so we knew everything wasn’t frozen yet, but would be. Once we got to about Baker’s Corner in Hamilton County, the temperature dropped and everything was totally froze. Semis had gone almost completely to a stand still while regular cars and smaller trucks diminished their speeds greatly.

A wreck had traffic backed up for about three or four miles on the new 31 that goes around Kokomo. By this time it was 11:15 p.m. and no one really knew if they were going to clean up the mess on the sheet of icy roads or wait until morning when the temperatures would rise and melt the roads. During this time, pick-up trucks, becoming impatient, drove down a huge culvert separated by the lanes of traffic going northbound and southbound. After about 45 minutes, traffic started to creep more and more. While driving by each exit on 31, we saw semis had pulled off and stopped on the exits for the night in hopes the roads would thaw. Semis were sliding into cars that had also stopped on the exits and smashed them. The drivers couldn’t control their vehicles because of the icy roads.

While driving further up 31, we saw an ambulance off the road in a ditch about 10 to 20 feet down that had rolled completely over on its top. Cops had shut down the southbound lane for the night with drivers stranded with no food, water, or gas for the night. As we arrived to the intersection of 31 and 18, we saw they had shut down 18 as well. After seeing all of the accidents and realizing they were about to shut all of the highways down, we ended up taking country roads home.

In a regular instance, it usually takes about a hour and a half to commute from Indy to Walton and it took us three and a half hours with all of the backed-up traffic, wrecks, and icy conditions.

10 Responses to “Ice Causes Long Commute”

1. Jack Salyers on February 15th, 2019 11:11 am

Great Story Dixon! I enjoyed reading about how you went down to the pacers game and with the bad conditions. Also I liked how you explained the roads coming home. Keep up the great writing.

2. Lauren Hileman on February 20th, 2019 10:38 am

Interesting story Dixon. I had a icy mishap this season due to extremely icy roads, but nothing as serious as this. I am sure you will look back and remember this time as one you can’t forget. Good job

3. Uriah Riemenschneider on February 21st, 2019 11:18 am

I thought this was a really cool story Dixon! The fact that a normal hour trip took three and a half hours would be really annoying! I’m glad you made it home buddy! These roads and conditions have really been something else this year.

4. Kenzie McLeland on February 25th, 2019 1:17 pm

Good story Dixon I thought it was a really good one. I’m glad you made it home!

5. Ephram Collins on February 25th, 2019 1:25 pm

Good article. You have to be careful when driving.

6. Emme Grisez on February 25th, 2019 1:27 pm

I liked how you included detail about the roads and the time it took you. I also liked how you included where you were going instead of jumping right in to the road conditions. Keep up the good work!

7. Ethan Johnson on February 25th, 2019 1:41 pm

Good Job Dixon! I really think the roads can get very slick and can cause lots of trouble. I’m glad you guys got back safe and it’s crazy how an ambulance flipped to its top. Keep up the great work.

8. lucis on March 21st, 2019 9:13 am

I liked the story and how you went into detal on things.

9. paxton binnion on March 21st, 2019 9:18 am

i think this explains a lot about how bad the roads had got and how difficult it must have been pretty hard to get home for him that night sorry to hear that an ambulance had flipped over on to the top of the roof so i am sure it was hard to sleep then sorry to hear that.

10. Karol Campos on March 22nd, 2019 7:36 am

The article made me sad because of the ambulance flipping over.

• Ice Causes Long Commute