An Open Letter to The Ones Who Were There First

Josie+and+her+parents+celebrating+her+18th+birthday.

An Open Letter to The Ones Who Were There First

Josie and her parents celebrating her 18th birthday.

Josie and her parents celebrating her 18th birthday.

Josie and her parents celebrating her 18th birthday.

Josie and her parents celebrating her 18th birthday.

Mom and Dad,

I just want to take a moment to say thank you. You guys have been there with me through it all, literally since day ONE. You’ve been there through my toughest moments in school from constant bad grades to me crying myself to sleep because the other girls didn’t like me. You were there for every little league game I played even though I was AWFUL. You were there for my transition from not only elementary to junior high but from private school to public school. You were there for me when I transitioned into high school. You were there for my first varsity race. You were there for my first actual boyfriend. You were there for my first high school dance. You were there for my first big heart break. You were there when I was in my darkest of places. You were there for my first prom. You were there for me on homecoming night when I was crowned queen. And you were there for every little moment in between. You’ve been there throughout the chaos of senior year, and we all know how crazy that’s been. So, I want to say thank you; thank you for it all; I wouldn’t be the young woman I am without the both of you.

Celebrating after the big homecoming win and the crowning of their daughter. Left to Right: Angel, Josie, and Paul.

I know looking at a calendar it may seem as if we have a while before I have to put my big girl pants on and move out, but in all reality it’ll be here before you know it. It’s been quite the roller coaster ride to get to where we are but it sure has been fun. You both have inspired me to reach for my goals, and I plan on doing just that. I know I won’t be all that far since Kokomo is only a 30 minute drive, but I’m going to miss the back talks, the sass given at the dinner table, mom’s constant early morning happiness, her good morning song, dad’s awful dad jokes, his constant picking on me, the girls arguing every chance they get, David never taking his trash out, the dogs being constant pains, and so much more. While I’m going to miss these things, I’m looking forward to the freedom I’m going to be receiving in the next year as well. I can proudly say that I believe you both have prepared me for what the world is going to put against me, and I’m ready to take on whatever it brings my way.

You both have taught me to never give up hope because God has a brighter plan ahead. If it weren’t for the two of you constantly reminding me of this, I’m not sure if I’d be where I am today or even be here at all. I’ve never given either of you enough credit for the things you do, and I apologize for that. You both have taught me even through the tough time that there’s something to look forward to. Even in our lowest of financial state, you both made sure to give us kids everything we needed. You did everything possible to make sure we were happy at all times. And most importantly, you made sure that even at the darkest of times when all of our faith may have been at question that we knew that there was good yet to come. I’d like to take a moment to thank you each individually.

Josie and her mom before Josie’s junior prom.

Mom, thank you for being the best friend I never knew I needed. Thank you for understanding when I need my space; I know this has been hard for you to do, but I appreciate it. I also want to thank you for understanding my need to have someone else to talk to. And an even bigger thank you for catching yourself when you say you understand and saying you could only imagine or something along the lines of that instead. I know you may not have always been prepared to have to deal with my anxieties and depression, but you’re doing a rockstar job at it. I love you with all my heart momma, and I’m so blessed to have you in my life.

Josie and her dad before her sophomore SADD dance.

Dad, thank you for loving mom as much as you do. She may not always admit, but your the rock that keeps her grounded. Thank you for showing me and the girls how we should be treated by a man, and what it’s like to be loved by someone. Thank you for letting me be my own person. Thank you for showing me what it looks like to work for what you want. Thank you for showing me that the tough times really do get better. You sir are my inspiration day in and day out. We may not get along all the time, but that’s just because we’re both immensely stubborn and extremely similar in so many aspects. I love you daddy, and I’m always going to be your girl.

I truly don’t know what I’d do without the two of you in my life. You’ve given me all the strength I need to get through all the bad things in life. So thank you. Thank you for not only loving all of us kids, but loving each other every second of everyday and making it shown.

Love you to the moon and back,

Your Favorite aka Josie

22 Responses to “An Open Letter to The Ones Who Were There First”

1. Bella Panmei on February 20th, 2019 12:10 pm

This was such a beautiful article and it was absolutely touching. I am going to miss you a ton when you leave Jos! You are absolutely lucky for the wonderful family you have. What an absolutely beautiful article this is. You never cease to dissapoint! I love you Jos! Keep up the great writing!

2. Caleb Johnson on February 20th, 2019 12:13 pm

Awesome story Josie! I loved how you described the many times your parents were there to help you and even the times when they won’t leave you alone. I’m glad you posted this to open the eyes of many students who are about to graduate in a few short months. Keep up the great work!

3. Kelsey Wise on February 20th, 2019 9:51 pm

I really like your article because you wrote with meaning and it is really easy to form thoughts about how grateful one is for such supportive people in their lives, and you were able to write about those thoughts as well which is really great!

4. Annie Daily on February 21st, 2019 10:34 am

This was so cute to read! I don’t think any of us thank our parents enough for everything they do for us. The fact that you did that and wrote it out for everyone to see is so brave. It’s so hard for me to express my emotions espessically to the people I love. You did that so well and I can really tell you love your parents and are so thankful for them. Keep writing, this was really cute.

5. Clara Licklider on February 21st, 2019 12:26 pm

Josie this story is so heart-warming! I love reading your articles because they always make me feel so mushy and happy or in my feelings, depending on the type of article you have written. Keep up the great writing!

6. Bill Isaacs on February 21st, 2019 4:37 pm

Just a well written article and expressed your heart felt gratitude for all your parents have done for you. You were real in your expressing how you felt in both good and difficult times. Thank you for sharing how you feel and expressing what many of your peers feel. Good job!!

7. Jon Emmons on February 25th, 2019 1:22 pm

This is a great article, I can tell you put time in this story and it turned out really good. It’s good that your parents are their to help you have a great time, and keep up the good work.

8. Aiden Martinez on February 25th, 2019 1:22 pm

It was really great reading about all the good experiences you’ve had with your family. It was also very nice to see you talk about how good your family treated you and how thankful you are.

9. Liberty Scott on February 25th, 2019 1:29 pm

Your article is amazing! Truly heartwarming, great job on all the hard work!

10. Isabelle Woolever on February 25th, 2019 1:42 pm

Josie you always do a great job. This article though has really touched me though it shows that we need to take the time to thank your parents for what they have done. If it wasn’t for them we wouldn’t be the people we are or we wouldn’t even be alive. They have the biggest impact on us.

11. Erika Johnson on February 25th, 2019 1:43 pm

This was a really good article. You thanked your parents for things not everyone thinks about thanking them for. Good Job!

12. Anthony Leydet on February 26th, 2019 2:35 pm

I liked your story! I liked how you nemed the many that your family has done for you.It was a good story.

13. Cjay74 on February 28th, 2019 6:46 pm

I loved this article. Our parents are with us through thick and thin. We do not ever seem to stop and think about what they do for us and the sacrifices they make. This article made me stop and think for some reflection on everything my parents do for me. This was very well written. Good luck next year!

14. Katelyn Schreckenghaust on March 4th, 2019 8:01 am

I absolutely loved reading this article. I believe many people can relate to wanting to thank our parents for everything that they do for us. The emotion you put into this article makes it so impactful. Great job!

15. Kenzie McLeland on March 4th, 2019 1:23 pm

I loved your article Josie it was a really touching story.

16. Emma Logan on March 4th, 2019 1:29 pm

This was so cute to read! I don’t think any of us thank our parents enough for everything they do for us. I can ell you spent a lot of time writing this

17. Lauran Walker on March 4th, 2019 1:43 pm

18. Lauran Walker on March 4th, 2019 1:45 pm

This was a good article. It’s cool that you have a close relationship with your parents. I really liked reading about it.

19. Madilyn Brown on March 4th, 2019 1:54 pm

This is a great article! I loved the moments you cherish with your family. I know how much I love my family, keep up the great work!

20. Kyla Valdez on March 5th, 2019 1:22 pm

I thought your article was really cute, Josie! It’s great how close you are with you parents!

21. Brooklynn Fye on March 13th, 2019 8:53 am

This article is so heart-warming and relatable. In my own opinion each and every kid should take a second to thank their parents because they do everything for us. Great article and I am so thankful to be able to say I have enjoyed a few great moments with you and your parents. Keep writing Josie!

22. lexis on April 10th, 2019 1:35 pm

I feel like this is something every senior student should say to the person who helped them most through their whole lives. It is important to have those people in your live to push and and support you at the same time. Whenever its needed those people will have your back. It made me realize that those people are the only people who are going to be there with you no matter what.

• An Open Letter to The Ones Who Were There First