The Best of the Best

The Best of the Best

On Monday night, the boys’ basketball team hosted a game against Winamac. The game had started off as a race of who could get the most baskets before the other team could score. Both teams were fighting as hard as they could to get the lead before halftime; however, as halftime had finally come, the score was tied 20 to 20. Now, I am sure some people reading this probably think I am a sports editor, but trust me, I am nowhere near that. The game had a great atmosphere, and the crowd loved watching the boys play their hearts out from start to finish; however, halftime was something special during this game.

When halftime arrived, the best of the best graduating students lined up in the hallway before getting announced for Latin Honors. The list just kept going and going until finally we reached the end, which of course was the valedictorian: Cade Cox. Being a part of the top students in my class has brought me many smiles, accomplishments, and new abilities I never knew I was capable of doing such as writing. All of us students are proud to be the ones who represent Lewis Cass in the manner that we should. Latin Honors has always been something that all seniors try and receive by graduation, so with that being said, it is with great honor that I give you the list of the wonderful students who have pushed themselves as hard as they can to achieve their goals.

This year’s Seniors, in order by Latin Honor designation and GPA, are as follows:

Those students graduating cum laude (with praise or honor) 3.0 GPA include:

1. Hollie Slater:  Hollie plans to attend Summit Salon Academy and study hairdressing.  
  2. Taylor Morris:  Taylor plans to study physical therapy or radiography.  
  3. Bryce Reish: Bryce plans on attending either Indiana University Kokomo or DePauw University and major in computer software development.  
  4. Addison Wagoner: Addison plans on attending the Indiana Massage College for Sports and Medical Massage Therapy.
  5. Brooklyn Miller:  Brooklyn plans to attend Ivy Tech Community College and Purdue University to double major in animal science and agriculture business.  
  6. Daniel Artrip:  Daniel plans to enlist in the United States Air Force.
  7. Kayla Paul:  Kayla plans to attend Indiana University Kokomo to study nursing.

Those students graduating magna cum laude (with great honor) 3.4 GPA include:

1. Miah Martin: Miah plans to attend Purdue University to major in Agriculture Economics and minor in Agricultural communications.
  2. Kallie Nies: Kallie plans to attend Pearl River College in Hattiesburg Mississippi to study nursing.
  3. Kara Riley: Kara plans to attend Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis to study oncology nursing.
  4. McKenna Wolf:  McKenna plans to attend Butler University to study nursing. .

Those students graduating summa cum laude (with highest honor) 3.7 GPA include:

1. Megan Dishon: Megan plans to attend Xavier University to major in Exercise Science and Occupational Therapy.
  2. Joseph Shaffer: Joseph plans to pursue a career as a welder working at Dilling Mechanical or playing football at a college that has yet to be determined.
  3. Ben Carpenter:  Ben plans to attend Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis where he plans to pursue a bachelor of science in nursing before attending medical school to become an anesthesiologist.
  4. Josie Woolever:  Josie plans to attend a college that is yet to be determined and study elementary education with a minor in creative writing.
  5. Kenzie Silcox: Kenzie plans to attend Morehead State University where she plans to play softball while studying to pursue a career as an orthopedic surgeon.
  6. Arrianna Martinez:  Arrianna plans to attend Honors College at Ball State University to double major in Music Performance and Psychology.

Those students graduating with egregia cum laude (with outstanding honor) 4.0 GPA include:

1. Ashli Key:  Ashli plans to attend Indiana State University to major in social work.
  2. Kaylin Silcox: Kaylin plans to attend Morehead State University where she plans to play softball while pursuing a career as a Radiologist.
  3. Andrew Conwell: Andrew is undecided on his college of choice but plans to pursue a degree in business.
  4. Emily Goodman: Emily plans to attend Ivy Tech to pursue an Associates Degree in Agriculture before attending Purdue University to pursue a Bachelors Degree in Agronomy.
  5. Makenzie Fowler: Makenzie is currently attending Trine University in Angola and is studying biology with plans to become a physician assistant.
  6. Alexis Darland: Alexis plans to attend the University of Indianapolis to study Pre-Art Therapy with Studio Art.
  7. Cade Cox:  Cade plans to attend Wabash College where he plans to join the wrestling team and study Electrical and Computer Engineering at both Wabash and Purdue Universities.

7 Responses to “The Best of the Best”

1. Jack Salyers on February 20th, 2019 1:03 pm

Great Article Ashli. I enjoyed reading this article by how you describe the night and were most of the people are going for college or other options. Keep up the great writing and good luck at Indiana State University.

2. Alex Myers on February 21st, 2019 7:56 am

Great article Ashli. You described the whole night great. It was really cool to see all of my classmates out there on the floor being recognized. I wish you the best of luck at ISU next year.

3. Bill Isaacs on February 21st, 2019 4:38 pm

Good Job!!

4. Liberty Scott on February 25th, 2019 1:18 pm

Congratulations!! I loved the article, great job.

5. Emme Grisez on February 25th, 2019 1:23 pm

I really liked how you included other kids’ plans for after high school. Another thing I liked about this article is how you included details about the basketball game.

6. Emma Logan on February 25th, 2019 3:19 pm

Great article Ashli, you describe your whole night. You described where everyone id going to college.

7. Ashley Turnpaugh on March 4th, 2019 1:31 pm

This article is really good. I really like how you add people and their plans for college.

*

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

Career Fair

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

School Brought Together by Champions Together

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Library Media Center

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

Dental Outreach visits Lewis Cass

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

The Record Breaking Shutdown

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

Previewing the Annual Halftime Show!

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

Sports Nation Loses a Hero: Tyler Trent

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass High School’s New Principal

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

Making a Change

• The Best of the Best

Courier Top News Stories

John McCain: An American Hero Laid to Rest

The Best of the Best