Officially a Patriot!

Officially a Patriot!

everyone who came down to my signing

everyone who came down to my signing

everyone who came down to my signing

everyone who came down to my signing

Last year this time I knew I wanted to wrestle in college. I really didn’t care where I went or if I even earned a scholarship, but I desperately wanted to wrestle in college. My love for the sport grew between my sophomore and junior season. I constantly wanted to be on the mat even though I was terrible. I wrestled HYWAY, an off-season wrestling program, which consisted of three tournaments. I went to West Noble, Fort Wayne Carroll, and HYWAY State at Peru with some of my teammates and younger kids as a club. I wrestled every match as hard as I could to get better. I wasn’t afraid of the reigning Semi-State champions or even State champions. I was willing to take on any opponent who dared to step across the line from me. This was not enough off-season work for me to become the best I could be; however I did manage to secure my first ever varsity spot at 152 in my Junior year.
I had never been varsity before because I was never good enough. After my Junior year came to an end, due to my loss at Regionals, I wanted more. So I set my goals higher than I thought I could achieve. I wanted to become a semi-state qualifier. I went to many camps during the summer and fall to sharpen my technique, and I wrestled in a preseason tournament at Fort Wayne Carroll. There I wrestled someone that eventually would end my high school career. I wrestled a senior from Yorktown named Eric Heistand. He was a reigning sectional, regional, and semi-state champion. He mopped the mat with me, but I wasn’t worried about it because I figured I would never see him again.
After this tournament I received an email from Coach Barroquillo, one of the assistant coaches at the University of the Cumberlands. He asked me if I had any future plans. I told him I was looking to go into the Marines, but I quickly found out I couldn’t pursue that career due to some warts on my fingers. I emailed the coach back as fast as I could to tell him I was interested in wrestling in college.
We immediately set up a date to come down on a college visit, which was a Thursday when I went down. My family and I had to leave at about 4:30 a.m to allow us enough time to get down there due to it being a five and a half hour drive. So we all got in the truck and headed for Williamsburg, Kentucky. After the visit was over, I told my mom and dad that was the place I wanted to go. It was one of a few offers I got to wrestle in college so my options weren’t limited, but I didn’t need to go on any other visits. I had made up my mind to wrestle at The University of the Cumberlands.

8 Responses to “Officially a Patriot!”

1. Aiden Martinez on February 25th, 2019 1:19 pm

This article was written very well. It was interesting and fascinating to read about your experience with the sport and up until you were able to meet. I’m very glad you were able to be given that opportunity.

2. Jon Emmons on February 25th, 2019 1:25 pm

Hey this is a great story! I hope you end up getting a scholarship for college, and you do a great job in your wrestling career. Keep up the good work.

3. Ethan Johnson on February 25th, 2019 1:32 pm

Great article Alex! Congrats for the scholarship to go the University of Cumberlands. You worked very hard for it and you deserve it and like all people say, hard work always pays off. I wish you the best at college and keep up the good work on the articles.

4. lane collins on February 25th, 2019 1:40 pm

good article good job

5. Levi Dyer on February 27th, 2019 8:05 am

Wow. This is a good example of what happens when you don’t give up on what you want. Just keep trying and trying and you’ll get there someday. Good article. I’d like to hear about how this plays out in the future.

6. Uriah Riemenschneider on February 27th, 2019 11:28 am

I enjoyed this article a lot! I think that it is really cool and interesting to see just how people make their decisions in what they want to do for either the rest of their life, or maybe just the next few years! Congratulations on becoming a Patriot! I hope your college wrestling career does you well buddy!

7. lucas grist on March 13th, 2019 1:51 pm

great article, and good luck at Cumberland, you’ll do great.

8. Jenna Roeske on March 13th, 2019 1:55 pm

This was a very well right article. I have watched you wrestle your whole senior year and I think you will be a great college wrestler. I wish you the best of luck at the University of the Cumberlands.

*

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

Transferring shaking up College Football!

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

Let’s Make Some Noise

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings Cage the Tigers

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

The Start of a Season

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

Five More Minutes

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

Why do students participate in sports?

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

Leaving A Mark, My Senior Season

• Officially a Patriot!

Courier Top Sports Article

Purdue: The Next Chapter of My Life

• Officially a Patriot!

Showcase

FILL OUT YOUR BRACKET!!!

• Officially a Patriot!

Sports

NCAA March Madness

Officially a Patriot!