An Open Letter to All Girls

“Nothing can dim the light that shines from within” ~Maya Angelou

An Open Letter to All Girls

Dear girls,

You are more than a set of curves, you are more than a hair color, and you are more than the outfits you wear. You are more than the size of your stomach and more than the size of your thigh gap. If no one has yet to tell you, let me be the first. Girls, you are beautiful.

Being a girl is not easy, and it never will be. Take this message from a girl who has been called twig for as long as she can remember. Twig doesn’t mean you are just skinny; it means much more. The word “twig” has made me feel as if I weren’t good enough, and it has burned my body image down to ashes. Many nights my tears started to roll down my face. I was wrong to let this word get to me, and I now understand the struggle every girl goes through.

I used to think I was the only one that would look in the mirror and see anything but perfection.  Spending some time with my best friends, I learned I was not alone. They would describe how they were very self-conscious about the size of their nose, ears, and even their legs. Something didn’t feel right hearing all these negative comments come out of their mouths. I wanted to remind them how pretty and perfect they were, but then I realized those same comments came out of the girl standing in front of the mirror.

One day I decided to make a choice to try to start self love. This is not an easy task. I am not saying mean comments won’t hurt you or that it will be easy to love your body right away, but I am saying you are beautiful and deserve to see that. After this decision, comments still hurt, but they don’t hurt as bad because who cares what anyone thinks if you love yourself.

A girl wants to be called pretty, smart, and skinny, but all of these words are destroyed by the negative comments we girls throw at each other and even worse the comments thrown at us by guys. Girls are so fragile. Being called “fat” or “ugly” hurt even if they are just a joke. Girls it’s time to put a stop to this name calling and be there for each other. Lift each other up, and never let each other be brought down by a single opinion.

So girls, stop comparing yourself to other girls because you are so unique and worthy of so much more. “A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms” Start learning to love yourself, and start looking in the mirror and being happy. Darling you are worthy, you are beautiful, and you are perfect just the way you are.

7 Responses to “An Open Letter to All Girls”

1. Emme Grisez on March 4th, 2019 1:25 pm

I really enjoyed this article. I like how you can just write about this topic with so much passion. Keep up the good work!

2. Tianna Casner on March 4th, 2019 1:27 pm

This is a very inspirational article, McKayla! Reading it reminded me that we all have insecurities, and that we should try our best to build other up, rather than bringing them down. I really wish that there was more people in the world who thought this way, but unfortunately, there isn’t nearly as many people like this as there should be.

3. Annie Daily on March 5th, 2019 12:58 pm

I loved this article! I can really relate to being self concious about being skinny. People used to ask me if I was anorextic when I wasn’t and told me that I need to eat more and fatten myself up. It really hurt my body image. But I love the idea of building each other up and being there for other girls, as well. Great writing!

4. Savannah Archer on March 13th, 2019 1:50 pm

Honestly, I think EVERY girl has these thoughts at least once in their lives. Nobody can put a stop to name-calling, but at least someone could prove to others that they are not what they’ve been called. Nobody deserves to be treated like that (even guys). I wish people would see how much it hurts a person to be called stuff like that. Thanks for the enlightenment, McKayla!

5. Kaitlyn on March 13th, 2019 1:52 pm

I really enjoyed reading this article because of the passion you had with writing it. I know lots of girls who struggle with self confidence and self love because of the comments that other people make towards them, and you talking about this topic might make a girl confident in herself and be able to talk about her struggle’s as well.

6. Kadence Miller on March 13th, 2019 1:59 pm

This was a really good article! It reminded me that we need to build each other up not bring them down.

7. Bella Panmei on April 10th, 2019 11:18 am

I agree 100% that we should lift each other up and boost up our confidence with kind words rather than hars comments. The way you wrote this and the passion and first-hand experiences really made a difference to make this article that much better. You are a beautiful writer and a gorgeous girl inside and out. Keep up the excellent writing Kayla!

• An Open Letter to All Girls

Finals Season

• An Open Letter to All Girls

Courier Top Opinion Article

The Bond Between the Seniors

• An Open Letter to All Girls

Courier Top Opinion Article

It’s not even Thanksgiving yet!

• An Open Letter to All Girls