Filed under Showcase

FFA Week showcases a year full of events

Just one is this year's theme for FFA nation wide.

A+few+of+our+officers+serving+the+students+on+Pork+Chop+Wednesday.+

A few of our officers serving the students on Pork Chop Wednesday.

During the week of February 17th through February 23rd, the Lewis Cass FFA was busy celebrating National FFA week. Even with higher stress levels than normal, the laughs carried on through the week. Each day holds a different adventure for our members and advisors. Being an FFA member, I know that more work goes into each event, behind the scenes, than what people in the community see.

A few of our officer team preparing for the worker auction.

The week starts bright and early on Sunday, February 17th, when we attend church with our FFA President Wyatt Helms, who attends the Walton Christian Church. So as each officer and member walked in following behind him, we wore our blue jackets with pride! For our senior member this is a bittersweet moment knowing this is the last time FFA week we will spend together.

The turn out for Tractor Tuesday.

The next day a few of our team members, advisors, and officers gathered together and went skating with a few other schools. This event is strictly for FFA members to meet up and discuss the fun times they have planned for the upcoming week. It is a gathering of members to see how they are impacting each other and their communities.  

Everyone loveees a good looking tractor, especially when they get the chance to show it off at school! Tuesday is tractor Tuesday where everyone in our school can drive something other than their everyday car. So the majority of boys wash up their tractors and park them in the back parking lot to showcase their country pride!

Wednesday has to be everyone’s favorite day even if you love driving your tractor. Wednesday is pork chop day! This means every student gets the chance to buy the one and only famous Lewis Cass FFA pork chop. The scent fills the school and lunch time cannot come soon enough. Our FFA members and officers start cooking when the first bell starts the day. Everyone goes home smelling like pork chops and smoke, but they would not have it any other way.

Thursday is for the faculty members! By 6:00 AM on Thursday morning, almost all FFA officers and members are at the school in official dress making breakfast. The breakfast consist of mixed fruits, buscuits and gravy, pancakes, and sausage. Everything is cooked and put together before any of the staff members show up to enjoy a nice warm meal. This meal is for a thank you to the faculty! They go above and beyond to help out our FFA group, so if you are a member, officer, or even someone just reading this, do not forget to thank a faculty member.

Friday is a day for more behind the scene type of setting. On Friday our Animal Science class puts on an animal science fair for the elementary kids. We bring in our our livestock to show off the kids what we do year round. We don’t just work during one or two weeks a year we work year round to help out our community.

Ashley showing her group about cattle.

By now you are assuming the week is over, but nope it doesn’t end until after clean up on Saturday night. Even on a Saturday our members, officers, and advisors are at the school setting up for the FFA worker auction and pork chop dinner. The cafeteria will soon turn into an auction room filled with the scent of cheesy potatoes and pork chops. After each of our officers are auctioned off for 8 hours of work, we clean up the mess we have made and our week is finally done.