Filed under Showcase

Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

These+are+the+five+crowns+the+students+and+community+had+the+chance+to+vote+for.+

Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

These are the five crowns the students and community had the chance to vote for.

“Listen to the students, community, and alumni. If the “new crown” that was designed and forced on us didn’t receive many votes, think how many votes were NOT for the new one.”  This comment was one of many we received as we collected the votes for the crown.

From the conflicts of the school changing, the uproar within Facebook and Twitter, and the community finally getting their voices heard through local papers such as Pharos Tribune, the change of the crown is finally trying to be resolved for Lewis Cass. Before Christmas break, rumors spread about change within the school’s tradition that has been here for many years. With the change, however, people started to find out the change was about one of the most prized possessions at the school: the crown. Although Lewis Cass’ crown or crowns have been tradition for generations of Kings, board members decided that our school needed a change.

Several people asked why change the crown. The board members discovered 13 different crowns painted throughout the school. Still the question is brought to attention, “Why one crown? It has never been an issue,” said Chris Roller a 87 alumnus. The crowns posted around the school are very similar but with some details within them; they are not exactly identical as the community sees it. Mr. Bates, the Lewis Cass principal, told the student council if our school comes to a conclusion on one crown, our originality of the crown designed will let the school have full copyrights to brand the crown.

Working the voting booth at the open house, we encountered several alumni and members of the community that were excited to help choose the new crown for Lewis Cass. Getting to choose out of five different crowns on a single piece of paper, everyone throughout the community casted their votes and voiced their opinions throughout the session. Many complaints were made about the “new crown” such as the new crown being the only one put into color, it looks like clip art instead of a sketch, and it looks as if it could represent a gang symbol. Although the complaints were negative about the new crown looking the way it was, multiple people made many vulgar comments that could not be addressed in this article but did make an impact of how the change is ruining the tradition here at Lewis Cass.

Chris Roller, a passionate alumni from class 1987, voiced her opinion as she stated, “So many don’t want this change. The crown has just evolved over the years. No different when you walk the halls at Logansport High School, Kokomo High School, and so many others.”

Many people just don’t understand why tradition has to change when there has never been an issue before. The alumni and community want their kids to represent the legacy that has been created in the past years for the Lewis Cass crown. Roller said, “I think when it comes to high school, there is so much tradition, loyalty and pride. We are from an area where generations and generations go to Lewis Cass.”

An anonymous voter said, “When I think of Lewis Cass, I think of tradition. This school has put in so much tradition over the years and changing the crown is just nonsense to the community, students, and the alumni from the past generations. In my opinion, I believe that Lewis Cass had good intentions on making change to the school. The crown change to me is considered a good idea, but the community should have more of a say into the change before the situation got out of hand.”  

Overall, the Lewis Cass community has finally voiced their opinion over the crown, and the results should be released soon. Currently we don’t know the when the results of the voting will be released.  

3 Responses to “Crown Voting Takes Center Stage”

1. Caleb Johnson on March 8th, 2019 7:59 am

Great Article McKayla and Megan! Both of you did a greta job of describing the open house and even the comments of some attendees. I think it’s important to voice everyone’s opinion and you girls did a great job at that. I also thought it was nice when you included the tradition part into your article. Nice work!

2. Brooklynn Fye on March 13th, 2019 8:41 am

This article does a great job explaining how the students, staff, and community members feel about the situation at hand! You both did an amazing job putting the right thoughts out about what happened during the meeting to fix everything. Would be great for an update article!

3. Addy Birnell on March 13th, 2019 1:45 pm

Good job on the article! I like how you explained why they are changing the crown and how people feel about it.

*

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Showcase

FILL OUT YOUR BRACKET!!!

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Showcase

Lewis Cass Blood Drive

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Showcase

Advertiser of the Week

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Showcase

Lewis Cass Holds Open House

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Showcase

FFA Week showcases a year full of events

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Courier Top News Stories

The Best of the Best

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Courier Top News Stories

School Brought Together by Champions Together

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Showcase

Bruisers blast way to FFA volleyball title

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Library Media Center

• Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

Courier Top News Stories

Dental Outreach visits Lewis Cass

Crown Voting Takes Center Stage