Filed under Showcase

Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Last night both the Lewis Cass Elementary and Lewis Cass High School held an open house for the community. The schools were open for the community to come in and see all the changes that have been made in the past year, and the community members also had the opportunity to vote on which crown they preferred to be our new and only crown.

To open up the night, school board member Ryan Zeck and superintendent Dr. Garland talked to the community members in the auditorium about the changes that have been made not only in the high school and elementary, but the polytech center as well. Each took a turn to talk about different things. While they were going over this, they also had the budget up and mentioned how much every project would cost. Not only did they talk about these things, but they also talked about the school’s grade history, the budget history, and the student enrollment history. They talked about these things so the community could have an idea of how the school has improved. They also talked about the recent safety training the teachers went through on Feb. 28th and the upcoming lockdown drills the students will be experiencing.

When talking about the high school, they mentioned the new offices and the purpose of moving them. The offices were moved for the protection of the students. With the offices where they are now, anyone who wants to enter the building has to enter the offices first before they can get in the school, and door one is the only entrance door unless you are a teacher with a key. With the move of the offices, the administration had to move the library, the new found media center, and the LMC (library media center) is where the old offices were located. The LMC has rooms for students to use to study, table areas to study, computers to use, printers to use, books to check out, etc. They also talked about the updates that have been made to the classrooms. These changes include new carpet, new paint on the walls, new ceiling tiles, new Promethean boards, new LED lights, new bells system, new telephones for each room, and several other things. They also talked about the new gym addition which won’t quite be functional for another two months, and in addition to the gym, a new fitness center will be starting during spring break. Both the gym and the fitness center will be open to the public when they’re finished. In addition to all of that, the high school has also added on the preschool which is located in the old metals shop.

When they talked about the elementary, they talked about how their offices were moved as well for the same purpose. In addition to that, they also had their LMC move to where the old offices were as well, and where the library was they put in two new classrooms. They also updated all the classrooms just as they did the high school classrooms. Most of the changes in the high school, the elementary received as well. They also talked about our new found polytech center which we’re still hoping to do more with, but currently there are three pathways students can take through the center. The school is hoping to open it to surrounding schools.This year we have a couple Northwestern students attend, but we’re hoping for more in the next couple years.

At the end of the night, both Dr. Garland and Mr. Zeck said they had received a lot of positive feedback. I found this to be reassuring because I know that there has been quite the controversy with a lot of the changes.

1 Comment

One Response to “Lewis Cass Holds Open House”

1. Cole McCloskey on March 13th, 2019 1:53 pm

While I did not go to the open house, my dad did. It seems most people in the community are not a fan of the new crown. But, I do think Dr. Garland and Ryan Zeck are doing a great job improving the school, and making it easier for the students. Well written article Bella and Josie!

*

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Showcase

FILL OUT YOUR BRACKET!!!

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Showcase

Lewis Cass Blood Drive

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Showcase

Advertiser of the Week

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Showcase

Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Showcase

FFA Week showcases a year full of events

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Courier Top News Stories

The Best of the Best

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Courier Top News Stories

School Brought Together by Champions Together

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Showcase

Bruisers blast way to FFA volleyball title

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Library Media Center

• Lewis Cass Holds Open House

Courier Top News Stories

Dental Outreach visits Lewis Cass

Lewis Cass Holds Open House