As the Days Go By: A letter to my best friend

As the Days Go By: A letter to my best friend

As the days go by, I see life almost as a blur. It doesn’t seem as though it has been almost four months since the last time I had talked to you. A lot has changed since you went away from here. The town we live in has changed along with the surrounding county. It was almost like you were the glue that held our posse together. Without you our band of darilects falls apart. It’s crazy how one person can make such a great impact on so many people. How the day you went away it didn’t really seem as big as it was. The day you left it didn’t seem real! Jazmen comes over frequently to stay with Hannah, and sometimes she brings Una! She stayed with us for a little over a week while your family had stuff planned for your going away!

It is truly crazy how true the phrase “you never know what you have until it’s gone” is. That phrase is something that really hit me hard after you left. I knew you were my best friend, but at the time the meaning behind that wasn’t as sincere as I thought it was. I knew I could always count on you when I was down in the dumps, but never truly realized how truly selfless you were in that aspect. Every time we would just cruise around or go get food together without the rest of the guys, we would always seem to have the deepest most philosophical talks about life! We always had the same views on almost everything, and if one of us was doing something wrong, we would always correct each other! You are my closest friend. The friend that holds all of my secrets and all of my stories. I can’t think of a single thing that I didn’t tell you. That is the reason why I feel the need to write you this. So there isn’t a single thing that you miss in being away from me and the rest of us! All of us guys miss you greatly! Jake, Gavin, Brock, Reeser, and Blake can’t wait to see you again! We know that for now this is for the best and we have to go on living our lives even if for the moment going forward in life isn’t the easiest thing to do. It seems that as the days go by it gets a little bit easier, but then I will have one of those days where it seems as though I just can’t go forward. I know a lot of people are struggling with the absence of your presence. Some people struggle more than others, but I am trying to look at it with a different perspective! I am trying to see the light in the darker situation I am hoping that not too much will change anymore than it has already.

In life we lose people all of the time. In life I have lost many close people to me, but losing you was one of the harder ones. I never would have guessed I would have to let go of  friendship that for two years I have held so dear to me. The very thought of knowing I was with you a few hours prior rattles my brain. I will forever cherish and hold close the many memories and adventures we shared together. I know that so many people miss you and wish you were here with us. Life is unfair in the way that we lose people we love too soon. I actually changed my baseball number this year to match yours! When I’m on the field, you are there with me. So until I see you again, fly high Auden!

11 Responses to “As the Days Go By: A letter to my best friend”

1. Bella Panmei on March 13th, 2019 12:04 pm

This was a really touching story and I am so terribly, deeply sorry for your loss. It didn’t seem real and honestly, it still doesn’t for me. I still think I’m going to see Haley again in the hallway, the bathroom, or after school. Stay strong buddy and keep up the awesome writing!

2. Annali Morgan on March 13th, 2019 1:47 pm

This story really hit me. We always take live for granted but we never know when our time is. This was probably one of the hardest events in my life. Just know he is always here for you!

3. Elijah Moch on March 13th, 2019 1:48 pm

I can understand how hard it is to miss a good friend. You did the right thing and sent him a letter and told him all the things you guys enjoyed doing together.

4. Brylee Boettjer on March 13th, 2019 1:51 pm

Your article is really touching. I know it isn’t easy losing someone so close. Stay strong!

5. Savannah Haseltine on March 13th, 2019 1:59 pm

This was a really touching article. I am close to people who were close to Auden and Haley, and it was difficult to see them in the aftermath, but I never really knew how they felt. I can imagine that it’s hard to lose someone close to you, and, while I know this isn’t much, I am deeply sorry for your loss.

6. Robert Fitch III on March 15th, 2019 7:50 am

Great Article Uriah! I love how you explained why you see life as a blur it was really touching because we all lost Haley and I was super close with her. I understand that feeling i understand everything keep your head up bud.

7. Alex Myers on March 20th, 2019 7:53 am

Uriah I can’t imagine losing my best friend so I know this is hard for you. I only knew Auden for a brief period of time, but when I did he made my life better. I’m glad you wrote this article. It shows you needed to get some stuff off your chest. This was very well written, and keep your head up.

8. Izaak Elliott on March 21st, 2019 9:09 am

I really like this article it is really good and filled with emotions. This is the best article i have read on here.

9. kiley knapp on March 21st, 2019 9:14 am

uriah, I cant imagine losing your best friend.If I ever lost mt best friend I would of lock everybody out, You need to stay strong and keep your head up high.

10. Dixon on March 22nd, 2019 9:03 am

It’s a terrible feeling to lose such a close friend that’s been through it all with you. This is something no one wants to have happen to them or dream of. Great article!

11. Kelsey Wise on April 9th, 2019 8:06 am

I like that you were able to express what you want Auden to know. Even though you explained what you wanted to say I am sure there are feelings about him being gone that you can’t describe, but from what you did I feel for you and it is crazy how someone can be here and gone the next day. I think it is awesome that you have his baseball number now and share that with your season of baseball because you give him and everyone else a chance to play another season with him. I really liked your article 🙂

• As the Days Go By: A letter to my best friend