Filed under Showcase

Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Seniors+Megan+Dishon+and+Kayla+Paul+staying+happy+during+the+blood+drive.+

Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Seniors Megan Dishon and Kayla Paul staying happy during the blood drive.

Lewis Cass does blood drives quite often. Yesterday, the school had its second one of the year. The blood drive is often backed by Mrs. Swanson, an NHS advisor, pressing people to sign up and donate for a good cause. Some of the refreshments were brought in by students and are there to alleviate students’ need for sugar. Mrs. Swanson also allows some students to help out throughout the day by signing people in and being there if needed. Donating blood for about 45 minutes can save about three lives. Currently, the Red Cross is in desperate need for blood and they also encourage people to give blood. The next time you’re available to donate contact the Red Cross for more information.

School board member Matt Lewellen donating blood yesterday

The blood drive does not only benefit many other people, but it also helps the person donating. According to the Amen Clinics, when a person donates, he is lowering his iron levels. Many people eat more iron than needed to maintain good health. By lowering iron levels, a person can reduce his risk of heart disease. High blood iron levels have the potential to increase the risk of this because iron speeds up the oxidation process of cholesterol, which blocks arteries. About 630,000 people die from heart disease each year. The Red Cross says more than 11.7% of adults in the United States have been diagnosed with heart disease in the past. Cardiovascular disease is also possible with high iron levels. It’s a term for the types of diseases that affect the heart. More than 800,000 people die in the United States from this. Donating blood can greatly reduce a person’s risk for many types of heart disease, and keep them healthy.

The recommended wait period to donate blood is about 56 days. People that donate frequently usually have lowered risks for cancers. Blood donors who donate over a few years have a 33 percent lower risk of a severe stroke and an 88 percent lower risk of heart attacks. After a donation, it takes about four weeks to replace lost blood cells. This recurring process of rejuvenation keeps your body working efficiently. Other things you can do to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease are to be physically active and control your weight. Reduce sodium levels and increase the fruits and vegetables in diet. If someone is low on iron or underweight, they aren’t able to donate so it is important to keep both levels in check.

Senior Ashli Key and Junior Carl Jay staying for support.

Around 45 students donated yesterday over the course of 5 hours. “It provides students an easy opportunity to be a part of their community because it’s not time-consuming,” said Senior Alex Myers.

One of the main reasons why I like the blood drive is because it is quick and easy. As soon as I entered the room, it took about five minutes to get started. On a good note, most people finish donating in about 20 to 30 minutes. The blood drive is important because it saves lives and helps people in need. I think many people wouldn’t hesitate to take blood so why wouldn’t they donate it too? Anyone that wants to donate again can contact his/her local Red Cross.

2 Responses to “Lewis Cass Blood Drive”

1. Ashli Key on March 15th, 2019 11:21 am

Great story Caleb! A lot of people don’t really know the information about blood drives so I found it very helpful that you took the time to give the reader some facts. As someone who donates, I understand the feeling of being selfless because I am giving my blood to someone who is need. Donating blood is a great cause, and I am glad we had so many people show up! Good story! I hope your arm isn’t too sore from yesterday haha:)

2. Lauren Hileman on March 18th, 2019 7:54 am

Great story! I donated last time and I have a bunch of friends that did too. I am a little nervous with needles, but I will totally try and do it again. Nice article!

*

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Showcase

FILL OUT YOUR BRACKET!!!

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Showcase

Advertiser of the Week

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Showcase

Lewis Cass Holds Open House

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Showcase

Crown Voting Takes Center Stage

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Showcase

FFA Week showcases a year full of events

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Courier Top News Stories

The Best of the Best

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Courier Top News Stories

School Brought Together by Champions Together

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Showcase

Bruisers blast way to FFA volleyball title

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Library Media Center

• Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Courier Top News Stories

Dental Outreach visits Lewis Cass

Lewis Cass Blood Drive