Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Seniors+Megan+Dishon+and+Kayla+Paul+staying+happy+during+the+blood+drive.+

Lewis Cass Blood Drive

Seniors Megan Dishon and Kayla Paul staying happy during the blood drive.

Lewis Cass does blood drives quite often. Yesterday, the school had its second one of the year. The blood drive is often backed by Mrs. Swanson, an NHS advisor, pressing people to sign up and donate for a good cause. Some of the refreshments were brought in by students and are there to alleviate students’ need for sugar. Mrs. Swanson also allows some students to help out throughout the day by signing people in and being there if needed. Donating blood for about 45 minutes can save about three lives. Currently, the Red Cross is in desperate need for blood and they also encourage people to give blood. The next time you’re available to donate contact the Red Cross for more information.

School board member Matt Lewellen donating blood yesterday

The blood drive does not only benefit many other people, but it also helps the person donating. According to the Amen Clinics, when a person donates, he is lowering his iron levels. Many people eat more iron than needed to maintain good health. By lowering iron levels, a person can reduce his risk of heart disease. High blood iron levels have the potential to increase the risk of this because iron speeds up the oxidation process of cholesterol, which blocks arteries. About 630,000 people die from heart disease each year. The Red Cross says more than 11.7% of adults in the United States have been diagnosed with heart disease in the past. Cardiovascular disease is also possible with high iron levels. It’s a term for the types of diseases that affect the heart. More than 800,000 people die in the United States from this. Donating blood can greatly reduce a person’s risk for many types of heart disease, and keep them healthy.

The recommended wait period to donate blood is about 56 days. People that donate frequently usually have lowered risks for cancers. Blood donors who donate over a few years have a 33 percent lower risk of a severe stroke and an 88 percent lower risk of heart attacks. After a donation, it takes about four weeks to replace lost blood cells. This recurring process of rejuvenation keeps your body working efficiently. Other things you can do to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease are to be physically active and control your weight. Reduce sodium levels and increase the fruits and vegetables in diet. If someone is low on iron or underweight, they aren’t able to donate so it is important to keep both levels in check.

Senior Ashli Key and Junior Carl Jay staying for support.

Around 45 students donated yesterday over the course of 5 hours. “It provides students an easy opportunity to be a part of their community because it’s not time-consuming,” said Senior Alex Myers.

One of the main reasons why I like the blood drive is because it is quick and easy. As soon as I entered the room, it took about five minutes to get started. On a good note, most people finish donating in about 20 to 30 minutes. The blood drive is important because it saves lives and helps people in need. I think many people wouldn’t hesitate to take blood so why wouldn’t they donate it too? Anyone that wants to donate again can contact his/her local Red Cross.